overall

RATINGS: 1412   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.33   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 177   ABV: 5.9%
Spicy and bold, a big Christmas cookie of a beer. Samuel Adams Old Fezziwig Ale is bursting with spices of the season. With a remarkably full body and flavor it helps those long winter nights pass more quickly. The rich taste hits the palate with a depth of malt character ranging from sweet toffee and caramel notes to dark, roasty chocolate notes. Then the spices come in full force. Cinnamon, ginger and orange peel dance on the tongue bringing with them the celebratory spirit of the season.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
RaginCajun (319) - Houston, Texas, USA - DEC 5, 2002
UPDATED: JUN 24, 2005 Tastes similar to the Winter Brew since they use similar spices. I have a problem with the label though; it makes it appear as though the only people that would drink this beer are perverted old men that run around in green suits that chase women who have crotch rot. Also, I could just see some old scrooge type fellow saying the name of this beer; all of his chins would shake as he spouted "Ol’ Feschiwig Ale" as he drank this beer and rubbed Chirstmas garland all over himself.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Perdue46 (68) - USA - DEC 5, 2002
wow the flavor on this beer is quite delicious. I usually rate expensive beers low but this is very tasty

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 11/20
aledrinka2299 (4) - USA - DEC 5, 2002 does not count
Decent

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
urbnhautebourg (997) - Annapolis, Maryland, USA - DEC 5, 2002
An older, but less wise, Mr. Boston graces the label of this one. I am by no means a Samuel Adams hater, but I find this one rather silly. When spice and fruit and toasted malts do not integrate properly, the result comes off as a bit absurd. I think that’s what goes on here.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
JPDIPSO (4956) - Wauwatosa, Wisconsin, USA - DEC 2, 2002
Ruby amber color woth a smaller light tan head. Milk chocolate and herbal/spicy aroma with a touch of alcohol. The aroma has me brandy, port, and spiced rum. OK my olfactories are numb, time to sample. Light spice from start and finish. Cinnamon and ginger to start, to a light pepper finish. In between there is a touch of chocolate. Seem s to lack a malt backbone, but the aroma and differant flavors makeup for this shortcoming. Actually has a caramel aftertaste that is quite nice.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
SpockTheater (49) - Louisiana, USA - NOV 29, 2002
This has become a holiday favorite for me. Taste has a good full body, and a great sense of complexity. Wish the served it in a 6 pack

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Slick (1969) - Thief River Falls, Minnesota, USA - NOV 28, 2002
A nice well rounded winter brew in smell,flavor and finish these guys do a decent job on there brews well worth the extra money to get it in the holiday pack

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
baseballguy (246) - Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA - NOV 25, 2002
Dickens fan that I am, I am happy to report that this lives up to its classic name and is excellent holiday brewing, enjoyably complex and well-spiced but not overpowering. A highlight of the Sam Adams Winter Classics 12-pack. December 2002 re-tasting: I still like it very much.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Gusler (2653) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - NOV 25, 2002
Re-Rate 11/25/02: An opalescent deep sanguineous color on the pour, the head preposterous in size, the consistency is creamy, the lace in sticky thick sheets that cling permanently to the glass. Nose is malt, hints of cinnamon and caramel, quite sweet and quite pleasant to sniff. Front is malt, lightly sweet, the top middling, the finish is a bit sour, potently acidic, sparingly hopped, with a dry as a bone aftertaste. Drinkable beer, that is pleasant enough, but there are many better “Winter Brews” on the market, if I could only get my hands on some “DeChutes Jubel Ale”, now there’s a winter beer for you. Ranks #776 on my current 1000 beer master list.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
muzzlehatch (4424) - Burlington, Vermont, USA - NOV 23, 2002
UPDATED: NOV 2, 2004 2002 (like they actually change the recipe every year these days). Slightly darker brown than the Vienna I had a couple of hours ago, similar nice creamy head. Almost opaque. Nose malty/nutty, brown-ale like, no ’wintry’ spicing to speak of but pleasant nonetheless. Flavor has maybe just a hint of licorice, a touch of ginger, but on the whole this tastes like an average brown ale to me, with a medium body and very little hops. Undistinguished but tasty.

This is one of those beers that brings back great memories. One of the first ’Christmas’ beers I had, originally in the large bottles, sharing it with my 2nd girlfriend in our apartment in Evanston IL, cats, the one good Christmas we had together... I wish the beer today was half as good as the memories (and only a few of those are good). Still, this one’s for you Kathryn.