overall
Serve in Shaker, Weizen

RATINGS: 2302   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.94/5   SEASONAL: Summer   EST. CALORIES: 159   ABV: 5.3%
Samuel Adams® Summer Ale is an American wheat ale. This summer seasonal uses malted wheat, lemon zest and Grains of Paradise, a rare pepper from Africa first used as a brewing spice in the 13th century, to create a crisp taste, spicy flavor and medium body. The ale fermentation imparts a background tropical fruit note reminiscent of mangos and peaches. All of these flavors come together to create a thirst quenching, clean finishing beer perfect for those warm summer days.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
thedm (5499) - Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA - JUN 22, 2003
This brew poured a mostly diminishing fizzy medium sized head of small to medium sized white bubbles and a semi-transparent hazy thin light amber orange colored body. It had a moderate straw, bread, malt aroma with some hoppy and lemon notes to it. It begins somewhat bitter and acetic with a finish that's lightly acidic with an after taste that lingers around for a fair amount of time. Its palate was light and a bit dry while being softly tingling.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
aobecksy (700) - Middle of no where, Ohio, USA - JUN 21, 2003
nice aroma neither alarming nor special, lacing seadfast indicative of Sam; color a nice hazy sunlight ie summer ale; taste of lemons and citrus again ok for summer; shared it at a dinner with a group of real women's women and it was a left over from one of their "impowering parties"---I couldn't help but think, for impowerment drop the lemon and pick up a stout for God's sake--but i was too afraid to mention it. Though having Sam their as my date was very comforting.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
AtomBombOfLove (30) - Marina Del Rey, California, USA - JUN 19, 2003
Bought a case of this for a party on a whim...goes down very easy and the slight lemon taste is a nice touch.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
haddon90 (1606) - Costa Mesa, California, USA - JUN 17, 2003
A nice brew. Reminded me of Sierra's Summerfest. Nice golden color, a hint of lemon taste. A nice "summer" beer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
drewcifer85710 (158) - Youngstown, Ohio, USA - JUN 16, 2003
Good crisp brew. Very faint fruit (lemon) taste, otherwise a middle-of-the-road wheat beer. Not bad whatsoever but nothing exceptional either.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
kwoeltje (2233) - Manchester, Missouri, USA - JUN 12, 2003
hazy gold. Faint citrus aroma. Tastes of wheat and fruit. Some unusual (not bad) tangy/bitter taste. OK overall.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 14/20
celogan (204) - Oroville, California, USA - JUN 12, 2003
Well the last of that build your own sixer I had was this Sam Adams Summer Ale. Not too bad actually. Reminded me of Blue Moon Belgian White, but better. Instead of an orange citrus essence, it was more like lemon, but not really noticable, just sort of there. Flavor was pretty decent but a tad on the light side. Carbonation was adequate, not much head and little lacing. Nice thirst quencher. I wouldn't pass this up if offered, and buying it again isn't out of the question, but I'd have to really be in the mood for it. Of course if offered to me free, I would drink it.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
Dorwart (2500) - Robbinsville, New Jersey, USA - JUN 7, 2003
Had this out at a restaurant so don't know if the glass I had was tainted. Tasted kind of soapy to me. Thin head with some ok lacing. Light aroma of mild hops and a little citrus. Flavor tasted off to me. Beer had good carbonation but yet seemed/tasted flat. More citrus present. Crisp clean taste though. Finish was a bit dry with slight pepper aftertaste. An ok beer that fits the summer brew category pretty well.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
VTDeerHunter (51) - Vermont, USA - JUN 4, 2003
Hazy light brown/yellow, with a small white head. Scent of lemon, malt, hops--all light. Flavor is light--malty, a little citrus. Light body. Sometimes I like this, sometimes it's not flavorful enough for me.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 5/20
DerBiermeister (586) - Birmingham, Alabama, USA - JUN 1, 2003
Perhaps lemon can taste good in beer. It doesn't in this one though. My friend liked it better than I did. The second time I tried it I had already had a couple of Asahi beers and I didn't care as much. I polished off more than a liter total. :) Sam Adams is very good, but Summer Ale is not for me. I much prefer Boston Lager.