Samuel Adams Triple Bock

(RETIRED)
overall

RATINGS: 1075   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.81/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 540   ABV: 18%
Triple Bock is complex, elegant, and has the depth and complexity of a fine cognac, vintage port or an old sherry. Non-carbonated, ruby-black, and very special, Triple Bock should be sipped from a small snifter in a two-ounce serving. This is a beer to savor, and sip slowly. Triple Bock has a brandy-like warmth and a complex melange of fruity, woody, and toffee-like flavors. Let the aroma fill your mouth and nose with rich malt and fruit overtones. Savor and appreciate its enormous character. Serve Triple Bock as you would a fine sherry, at room temperature, in a small snifter. One bottle generously serves two or three. Recork and store standing up. Once poured into a small glass, the layers of aroma and flavor will continue to evolve as the deep ruby brew warms in the hand.

There have been only three vintages produced: 1994, 1995 and 1997, but bottles can still be found in the marketplace. 1994 and 1995 vintages are marked as such on the back label; 1997 vintage is not.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 5/20
erway (1004) - Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA - MAR 17, 2002
One of the finest presentations of any beer Iíve seen. Thatís where the compliments end. The smell was like soy sauce and the taste was overwhelmingly sour, with hints of maple syrup, mint, and vanilla. I struggled to even drink this stuff.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
argo0 (12818) - Washington DC, USA - MAR 3, 2002
As other reviewers suggest, this beer isnít for everyone. Think more of brandy than beer, and youíre likely to be less surprised by what youíll find. sweet, alcohol flavor with element of vanilla. no carbonation, no hops flavor, but maltiness is present. i canít say i love this beer, but i certainly respect it.

0.9
   AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 2/20
JoeM500 (1908) - Crown Point, Indiana, USA - MAR 3, 2002
UPDATED: DEC 20, 2004 The bottle, the hype, the deep color... whoa! Soy sauce and whisky! Why am I so excited to find the Utopia then.... First bottling edition...aged TEN YEARS: I just knew this was going to change my mind on this beer.... ...nope, it was a disgustingly soy and mapley mess, completely undrinkable. Sorry, we poured that crap right down the sink. Disgusting.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
estoppel (1028) - Buffalo, New York, USA - FEB 22, 2002
UPDATED: OCT 3, 2008 I sort of liked this, but itís probably less like beer than Zima is like beer. RERATE 8/07: 1997 vintage. Dark reddish-brown body, no head, no carbonation. Overwhelming nose, with sweet chocolate and raisins as the primary aroma. Thick mouthfeel, boozy, chocolate, cherries, raisins, woody, vinous, very sweet. Much nicer after a decade of aging.

AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 1/20
Davhgbrew (948) - Seattle, Washington, USA - FEB 16, 2002
It smells like soy sauce, it tastes like soy sauce, and it looks like soy sauce. I am angry I spent 3.50 on one bottle. I have never poured out a beer before I had this one. This is one of the worst beers Iíve ever had, if you want to call it a beer.

AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 1/20
Ringo (963) - Loveland, Colorado, USA - FEB 11, 2002
This stuff is crap. I have been tasting beer for over 20 years. I am not missing anything here. My palate is developed. There comes a point when you have to admit that something sucks, and to stop looking for some íhigher meaningí that you are just not getting. If it walks like a duck, and talks like a duck, then it must be a duck. This tastes like rotten maple syrup mixed with rubbing alcohol. I had to drink two of them (not at one time) to make sure I was correct in my opinion. I kept an open mind for it. The second one had the honor of being the only beer I ever poured out in over 20 years of tasting. Actually, my dogs drank what was left, but they eat their own feces too. It ruined my whole afternoon of tasting with its putrid aftertaste. PS - sorry Doug, mine is just one opinion! I hope you enjoy yours.

0.7
   AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 1/20
rwv3799 (1) - USA - FEB 7, 2002 does not count
The odor coming from this beer is so strong that I found it literally difficult to bring towards my mouth.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
jmusial99 (27) - USA - FEB 7, 2002
I bought a 1994 case of this in 1997 and still have 10 bottles left. This has almost a brandy affect. This is not to be taken like a regular beer. Best served at room temp in a sniff... and this is a sipper not a drinker. I like this one on a really cold night and by the fire. As they continue to age they just get better. A very good friend and myself have shared these over the last few x-masís (missed the last one)... the older the better. It continues to mature and get smoother.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 5/20
crazydiamond (48) - Michigan, USA - FEB 4, 2002
From my experience, I had a hard time íplacingí this beer in an evening of beer enjoyment. It certainly wasnít a ísit down and finish every last dropí beer for me. Then, after thinking about it. I determined this beer is best served in a shot glass, akin to Jaggermiester or Garappa. Simply pour small amounts in your families & friends glasses, sip & discuss. Then, follow up with session beers. A rich manís íshot & shellí, very nice!!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
evilash99 (2) - MalmŲ, SWEDEN - JAN 31, 2002 does not count
Black in color, almost syrupy in texture with no carbon dioxide. Very intense and thick aroma. The taste has elements of chocolate, port, vanilla and raisins, and the aftertaste lingers for a long time. Try this beer with either some strong cheese or maybe an english fruitcake.