Samuel Adams Triple Bock

(RETIRED)
overall

RATINGS: 1049   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.8   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 540   ABV: 18%
Triple Bock is complex, elegant, and has the depth and complexity of a fine cognac, vintage port or an old sherry. Non-carbonated, ruby-black, and very special, Triple Bock should be sipped from a small snifter in a two-ounce serving. This is a beer to savor, and sip slowly. Triple Bock has a brandy-like warmth and a complex melange of fruity, woody, and toffee-like flavors. Let the aroma fill your mouth and nose with rich malt and fruit overtones. Savor and appreciate its enormous character. Serve Triple Bock as you would a fine sherry, at room temperature, in a small snifter. One bottle generously serves two or three. Recork and store standing up. Once poured into a small glass, the layers of aroma and flavor will continue to evolve as the deep ruby brew warms in the hand.

There have been only three vintages produced: 1994, 1995 and 1997, but bottles can still be found in the marketplace. 1994 and 1995 vintages are marked as such on the back label; 1997 vintage is not.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
Delbomber (387) - Philadelphia, USA - AUG 30, 2001
While I laud the effort, I must criticize the product. Inside this awesome bottle is a beer that exudes a soy sauce and prune nose. With no head, I momentarily confused this with 10w 30 motor oil (joking). So thick and syrupy, it left the most residue on a glass I have ever seen, whether it be wine, liquor, or beer. The taste is sweet, consisting of soy sauce and maple syrup flavors. Altogether pungent and thick, with slight bitterness in the finish, this has to be one of the most pungent, unique, offensive beers on the market. I memorable experience, but not a good one.

1.3
   AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 4/20
JessterCPA (130) - Wayne, New Jersey, USA - AUG 29, 2001
I cannot see what is so special about this beer. I have a 1994 bottle still in storage. I hear it ages. I hope so, it needs it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
joet (2224) - Santa Rosa, California, USA - AUG 29, 2001
Surprising. Vinous -- more like brandyish. Despite some interesting malt aromas wafting on volatile EtOH, the taste is a wall of ethanol and flavors inaccessible because of the beer’s WWF whallop.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
muzzlehatch (4424) - Burlington, Vermont, USA - AUG 3, 2001
I’ve heard they’ve stopped making this? True/false? But I guess they’ve shelved many of their other more adventurous beers, so why not. Certainly one of the most unique, and significant, American ’beers’ ever. Looks great, incredibly complex nose, but the flavor is tough for me -- like super-sweet maple-flavored port. Interesting, but even getting the 8.45 oz bottle down is tough. Alcohol bite not as strong as some highly-rated Belgians. Last had this around 95-96 (I think it was a ’94 bottle) -- was one of the rare brews I took any notes on then. Have a ’95 still sitting around. Someday....

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
SNIAT (120) - Passaic, New Jersey, USA - AUG 3, 2001
Great when your in the mood for an after dinner drink and a great try at something special from a brewer who doesn’t need to try something special. Let it warm up a bit.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 12/20
fraternie (843) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JUN 27, 2001
Well, I’ve definitely never had a beer that was 17.5% alcohol. I had trouble getting this one down, not because of the insane thickness or the powerful as balls plum flavor, but because of the horrendous aftertaste. Everything else was good, but my God, 17.5%??? I think I just drank a case of natty.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 2/20
canary dog (665) - Rutland, Vermont, USA - JUN 14, 2001
I agree with Indra. It gets to a point where something can no longer be classified as beer. Triple Bock is one of those. Too sweet and thick. Beer is not supposed to be sweet and thick. I would rather drink cough syrup.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 6/20
Indra (2656) - Overland Park, Kansas, USA - APR 18, 2001
UPDATED: AUG 19, 2003 It was time for a revisit to the old Triple Bock...here's how it went. Aroma of Worcestershire, soy sauce, maple syrup, blood, baker's chocolate and black walnut. The 'beer' has an oily sheen, and is opaque dark brown, an amber ring of color with a total lack of carbonation and head. Sampled at room temperature with a brandy snifter, 8.4 oz. bottle split three ways. Flavor is bitter, chocolate, coffee grounds, bitter walnut, soy sauce, etc. It has been determined that this would make a fantastic marinade for steaks but is simply a bit too maple-y, bizarre and downright un-beer-like for me to actually enjoy. I begrudge no one for appreciating this concoction; it does definitely push the boundaries (in fact it has broken through and run insanely down the street) but it's simply not something I can recommend or appreciate. Given that I am a fan of huge, high-alcohol beers and have still arrived at this conclusion simply means that me and this beverage are not cut out for one another. I truly will not mind if I never drink it again, I have seen what it has to show me and turned away, perplexed by the grotesqueness of the entire affair. I must give credit to Sam Adams for creating such an indescribable drink but it's simply not enjoyable.

1.2
   AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 1/20
weeicemon (126) - Lancaster, California, USA - APR 8, 2001
UPDATED: MAY 7, 2007 I really wanted to like this stuff but I just could’nt get past all it’s problems.I guess if you like rich,syrupy cough medicine then this one’s for you. Stick with cognac,scnapps, or Niquel. This is the only beer that accually made me gag.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Shadallion (534) - Sacramento, California, USA - MAR 20, 2001
Doesn’t taste like beer, really strong,blah blah blah. This is a beer that pushes the boundries of what a beer can taste like. Strong maple, oak and vanilla flavors up front culminate in a vast, port-like finish. 17% alcohol makes this the biggest beer I’ve ever had. Enjoy as an elegant after dinner drink.