Samuel Adams Triple Bock

(RETIRED)
overall

RATINGS: 1035   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.8   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 540   ABV: 18%
Triple Bock is complex, elegant, and has the depth and complexity of a fine cognac, vintage port or an old sherry. Non-carbonated, ruby-black, and very special, Triple Bock should be sipped from a small snifter in a two-ounce serving. This is a beer to savor, and sip slowly. Triple Bock has a brandy-like warmth and a complex melange of fruity, woody, and toffee-like flavors. Let the aroma fill your mouth and nose with rich malt and fruit overtones. Savor and appreciate its enormous character. Serve Triple Bock as you would a fine sherry, at room temperature, in a small snifter. One bottle generously serves two or three. Recork and store standing up. Once poured into a small glass, the layers of aroma and flavor will continue to evolve as the deep ruby brew warms in the hand.

There have been only three vintages produced: 1994, 1995 and 1997, but bottles can still be found in the marketplace. 1994 and 1995 vintages are marked as such on the back label; 1997 vintage is not.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
madmitch76 (14513) - , Essex, ENGLAND - JUL 28, 2012
23rd October 2010
Opaque very dark brown beer, no head, no carbonation. Nose is mostly marmite but has a little chocolate. Palate is semi soft and dry. So to the taste - wasnít expecting much from this much maligned beer but Iím going to stand with my old mucker Henrik Papso on this and say itís a fine beer. Immediately reminded me of a vintage port. Rich cherry - blackcurrant and a little tobacco. There is a big splash of Madeira in here as well and then chocolate, coffee and marmite. Finishes dry with a warming afterglow. You just need to get past the nose to appreciate this one!

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 7/20
redtechnj (200) - Williamstown, New Jersey, USA - JUL 27, 2012
This beer, if you call it a beer, is extremely hard to describe. I bought 2 bottles in í95, had one then and thought it was horrible. Since then Iíve expanded my beer horizons, my experiences with out of the norm beers was limited to Sam Addams various flavors. I recently found the second bottle in the back of my liqour cabinet and thought that maybe I had caught up to the complexities of this beer. Nope. Iíll try almost anything and come away if not happy with the beer but with the wxperience of trying something different. I canít in any way recomend trying this beer. Aroma of mollassas and whischestershier sauce. Bitter and horrible. This "beer" scared me!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Steasy66 (847) - Minnesota, USA - JUL 24, 2012
Small bottle into snifter, we donít know the vintage. A Black no carbonation S Big marshmallow smells T Complex, strange, sweet, cherry, port, soy sauce M Thick, no carbonation O I like this beer, would drink it again, it is strange and complex, I can understand some of the hate, but I also enjoy the beer. Serving type: bottle Reviewed on: 04-14-2012 18:21:55

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
deyholla (6514) - Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, USA - JUL 8, 2012
Bottle. Pours a thick black with a brown head that starts at the edges and dissipates completely. Aroma has a deep dark dessert wine with some caramel, sweet fruit and a slight astringent note. Flavor has noted of dark fruit and a bit of sweetness with a hint of astringent acid.

OleR (4786) - Oslo, NORWAY - JUN 3, 2012
Sampled from a 0.25 L bottle (1997 vintage). Thanks for sharing, GrOve! Near black with no clarity. Headless. Big chocolate aroma. Strong licorice tones. A noticable alcohol scent, reminiscent of fortified wine. Fat malt body. Gently sweet and packed with chocolate-accented flavors. Vinous, like a fine Port. Notes of soy sauce and salty licorice. Thick and hot in the mouth. Impressingly complex. A great beer experience.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
jdpeebs (687) - Sydney, AUSTRALIA - MAY 21, 2012
250ml Bottle-1995 Vintage. Fantastic woody and fruity notes. Pours like good port. Little to carbonation, but thatís expected for the style. Very complex beer. I love it

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
larsga (6146) - Oslo, NORWAY - MAY 19, 2012
Barely any head. Opaque black body. Intense chocolatey soy sauce aroma with earthy musty alcohol and linoleum notes. Dry-sweet chocolate and soy sauce taste with earthy alcoholic notes. Massively full mouthfeel. Hot, almost burning, dense, thick mouthfeel. Dry-sweet alcohol, earth, and chocolate aftertaste with musty soy sauce notes. Intense, dense, closed flavour. Too dense to drink much of, but an amazing taste experience. (0.25l bottle shared by gr0ve, to whom many thanks.)

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
GhostFace (321) - Wisconsin, USA - MAY 6, 2012
í97 bottle. almost couldnít the damned thing open.. thick deep black pour, fizzy head while pouring, nothing by the end of the pour. aroma and taste of maple syrup, molasses and soy sauce. itís not for me but glad to have tried it.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Gr0ve (2128) - Oslo, NORWAY - APR 24, 2012
250 ml bottle. Very dark brown, almost black. No head, but a little fizz when bottle was opened. Intense chocolate aroma with soy sauce and napthaline. Vinous alcohol aromas. Slightly oxidized. Licorice. Excellent. Very complex. And very good.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
davey101 (655) - Connecticut, USA - APR 21, 2012
1994 vintage. Cobalt blue bottle, room temperature into a tulip glass. I think a huge part of this beer is how the consumer goes about the actual act of getting it into the glass. For me it consisted of a slight twist of the cork. Instant breakage. The cork itself was really weak and moist. I played around with needle nose pliers for a few minutes but the cork eventually fell into the bottle. No big deal, I readied my coffee filter and slowly poured. I didnít get any large chunks. Well it turns out that the cork plugged up the neck allowing for the slime to stay back and syrupy ooze to flow past slowly. When I got most of the beer out I grabbed a brandy snifter and shook that bottle soy sauce style to get some chunky awesomeness out. The irony was not lost on me... A - Tulip glass: Viscous black body with zero head and carbonation. A swirl produces some alcoholic legs and a bit of a lasting brown trail but no lacing to speak of. Snifter: Chunky black vile. A thick trail stains the sides of the glass and doesnít let go. Its like a glass of fermented mud. Did I mention that I spilled some and it stained my table? S - Super roasty malts. Very deep and smoky. Its a very savory beer with hints of soy, Worcestershire sauce, oak and salted meat. There is just a hint of sweetness to make me believe this isnít just a condiment. Some darkly caramelized figs and maple syrup. Some alcohol on the finish. Super intense T - Not that extreme, certainly less so than the nose. Salty soy sauce and oak predominantly. Each sip brings on a new slightly challenging but unique flavor. Maple syrup, molasses, figs, tobacco, rusty nails, dirt, chocolate and caramel. Complex and ever changing. Sweet and salty finish. Almost no noticeable alcohol. The beer is completely flat but thick and syrupy. O - Despite all the negativity towards this beer, I like triple bock. I know the í94 and í95 vintages are supposed to be the best and í97 is rotten swamp ass, but I had a í97 a few months back and enjoyed it. Iím not ashamed to say that I am a triple bock lover! Its deep, complex, unique, and one hell of a sipper. Its amazing to think about how old this beer is and in my opinion its held up very well. Massive props to whoever properly stored it during its life. Gotta respect Sam Adams to have the audacity to brew a beer like this.