Samuel Adams Triple Bock

(RETIRED)
overall

RATINGS: 1049   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.8   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 540   ABV: 18%
Triple Bock is complex, elegant, and has the depth and complexity of a fine cognac, vintage port or an old sherry. Non-carbonated, ruby-black, and very special, Triple Bock should be sipped from a small snifter in a two-ounce serving. This is a beer to savor, and sip slowly. Triple Bock has a brandy-like warmth and a complex melange of fruity, woody, and toffee-like flavors. Let the aroma fill your mouth and nose with rich malt and fruit overtones. Savor and appreciate its enormous character. Serve Triple Bock as you would a fine sherry, at room temperature, in a small snifter. One bottle generously serves two or three. Recork and store standing up. Once poured into a small glass, the layers of aroma and flavor will continue to evolve as the deep ruby brew warms in the hand.

There have been only three vintages produced: 1994, 1995 and 1997, but bottles can still be found in the marketplace. 1994 and 1995 vintages are marked as such on the back label; 1997 vintage is not.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 7/20
Cory (350) - , California, USA - MAR 21, 2013
1995 bottle. Aroma of soy and plum sauce. There is some strange mint aspect that was confirmed by a few of my friends. Very creamy on the palate with the taste sweet like molasses with some saltiness to it. The color is very dark with a fair amount of oil on the glass. It is very clear that this beer is past its prime.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 5/20
BillWyce (745) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 17, 2013
from notes: no markings, which likely make this a í97. Poured opaque cola brown-to-black, with no visible head or carbonation at all. Aroma was medicinal, wine-like, with perhaps a sweet malt note in there someplace. Full body, viscous. Vinegary, medicinal flavor, with an odd note that I canít identify underneath, maybe something woody. Unfortunately, something appears to have happened to these over time, based on my experience and other recent reviews. I had this when it first came out, and it was excellent. Now, itís terrible. Perhaps air got to it?? There was a lot of an odd black residue left on the inside of the bottle. Quite unfortunate.

1.1
   AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 3/20
JoelMiler (13) - Michigan, USA - FEB 4, 2013
Friend got two bottles of the 1995, for free. That should have said something. Popped the cork; looked as if someone had used it for a butt plug; brown and covered in slime. Strong odor of what I thought was soy sauce? Poured thick, opaque, with no head. Not quite black. Motor oil; really. Thick on the mouth feel, although, and very strong flavors of malt and almost salty? Was this soy sauce? I couldnít put my finger on the taste... but, thought, perhaps? Opened a bottle of black strap molasses, dipped my finger in and tasted it. Color and viscosity were close to the same, but, the molasses tasted better. Dumped the rest of the bottle down the drain. Only too find a full inch of settlement in the bottom of the bottle. It IS an experience.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
NobleSquirrel (3437) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JAN 25, 2013
1997 bottle from Discount in Milwaukee. Well, this was something. Pours a deep, dirty motor oil, leaves a nasty black film on the bottle as well. Pours still. Nose is super intense. Miso, soy sauce and raisins. Port-like except for the soy notes. Low levels of oxidation, remarkably. On tasting, intensely rich and sweet. Big alcohol notes. Pureed raisins, quite vinous and showing soy notes again. Not for the faint of heart. Thick and heavy bodied. Interesting but too much.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
johnnnniee (2456) - Bedford, New Hampshire, USA - NOV 23, 2012
1997 Vintage I purchase this bottle in Texas in 1997 and its moved with me at least three times, and was lost in a box and forgotten for a long period of time. Tonight this will be flat beer number two. Pours a solid dark brown/inky black color with no head at all. Smells of raisins, prunes, plums, molasses, alcohol, brown sugar, cherries, maple syrup, vodka, vanilla, wood. Thereís a lot going on in the nose, and its not all bad like some of the other reviews elude to. The flavor is not quite what the aroma promised me. This is very sweet and syrupy up front with lots of brown sugar, molasses, and maple. I get a meatiness, if thatís possible, midway through. Lots of fruit comes next with cherries, prunes, and plums, along with a bit of ash, chocolate and ethanol. The finish is a long lingering burnt sugar, caramel, molasses bitterness that sticks to the palette like oil. Thick viscous body with a thick syrupy mouthfeel, and zero carbonation. I had this fresh in 1997 and drain poured it, but my palette wasnít ready for it then. Tonight I enjoyed sipping on this for the better part of the night. I think that my bottle somehow fared better than some others because I have had samples of this recently that I didnít enjoy. Iím glad I saved a "good" bottle of this amazingly complex boundary stretching elixir.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
50belair (2488) - Florida, USA - NOV 3, 2012
Bottle shared by my man Seth. Dark brown pour with no head. Sweet caramel, fudge, and soy sauce aromas. My be a bit past itís prime. Very sweet with loads of chocolate and rich caramel notes. Decent body.

0.9
   AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 2/20
jethrodium (366) - Berkeley, California, USA - OCT 31, 2012
UPDATED: NOV 1, 2012 Bottle shared by colonelforbin. 1997 vintage. Thanks Mike. I think. Pours a mahogany with no head and no lacing. Leaves a film and some legs on the glass when swirled. The aroma is soy sauce, big alcohol, and caramel. Quite rich. The taste is quite sweet with lots of soy sauce and caramel. There is quite a bit of alcohol, but it is not as prominent as in the nose. The finish is rich with a bit of bitterness. Full bodied with no carbonation. This is quite bad. There is tons of soy sauce and it is way too sweet. There is also quite a bit of alcohol. Looking at the film left on bottle afterwards makes me a bit concerned about what just went into my body.

0.7
   AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 1/20
Treebs (872) - , Illinois, USA - OCT 20, 2012
I shared this beast at the Star Wars tasting. 1997 vintage plit six ways. I would have preferred to split it 100 ways as to lessen the blow to my palate, but alas it wasnít meant to be. Corked nip bottle served in a plastic cup because I didnít want to ruin my glass. We strained this guy and unfortunately there was no sludge. What we got was all beer. A: Pours a very dark black color with an oily, viscous sheen to it. Absolutely no head, foam or ring. Zero carbonation. S: Rotten figs, stale chocolate, musty basement and dried out malts. Not terribly disgusting, but a far cry from palatable. The first few smells were the equivalent of water torture so I didnít have high hopes for this. T: I almost vomitted upon first sip. Moldy bread with sweaty gym socks. A weird, sickly sweet aftertaste is there which might be the maple syrup? Minimal dark fruits with a dried out after taste of legit stomach bile. M: I wrote down one word during my note taking and Iíll leave it at that: HORRID O: Nope. Never going to have again. Donít try it. Ever. Serving type: bottle Reviewed on: 08-15-2012

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 3/20
Cristobal37 (278) - Canyon Lake, California, USA - OCT 9, 2012
What a wild beer! My friends and I split this between 3 of us and had a hard time putting it down, our gullets that is. It has a very powerful aroma of very memorably soy sauce! Little pieces of (?) were floating around our glasses. I enjoy cognacs and brandies, but there is no savoring in this. It is defintiely something to skip. Or if you are the Evil Knevil type, then be sure to take your crew to the tasting.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
kermis (5732) - The Hague, NETHERLANDS - SEP 3, 2012
1997 vintage bottle shared at Delirium Hoppy Loft. Pours dark brown with no head. Aroma is dominated by rich dark chocolate and massive caramel, licorice and toffee. Taking a sip is such a powerful burst of flavour, super sweet with an underlying bitterness and a thick mouthfeel like pouring molasses and melted chocolate straight down your throat, leading into a long caramel and alcohol warm finish. Full bodied with soft carbonation. Intense and lovely but not one to drink much of.