Samuel Adams Triple Bock

(RETIRED)
overall

RATINGS: 1048   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.8   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 540   ABV: 18%
Triple Bock is complex, elegant, and has the depth and complexity of a fine cognac, vintage port or an old sherry. Non-carbonated, ruby-black, and very special, Triple Bock should be sipped from a small snifter in a two-ounce serving. This is a beer to savor, and sip slowly. Triple Bock has a brandy-like warmth and a complex melange of fruity, woody, and toffee-like flavors. Let the aroma fill your mouth and nose with rich malt and fruit overtones. Savor and appreciate its enormous character. Serve Triple Bock as you would a fine sherry, at room temperature, in a small snifter. One bottle generously serves two or three. Recork and store standing up. Once poured into a small glass, the layers of aroma and flavor will continue to evolve as the deep ruby brew warms in the hand.

There have been only three vintages produced: 1994, 1995 and 1997, but bottles can still be found in the marketplace. 1994 and 1995 vintages are marked as such on the back label; 1997 vintage is not.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
GhostFace (321) - Wisconsin, USA - MAY 6, 2012
í97 bottle. almost couldnít the damned thing open.. thick deep black pour, fizzy head while pouring, nothing by the end of the pour. aroma and taste of maple syrup, molasses and soy sauce. itís not for me but glad to have tried it.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Gr0ve (2150) - Oslo, NORWAY - APR 24, 2012
250 ml bottle. Very dark brown, almost black. No head, but a little fizz when bottle was opened. Intense chocolate aroma with soy sauce and napthaline. Vinous alcohol aromas. Slightly oxidized. Licorice. Excellent. Very complex. And very good.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
davey101 (693) - Connecticut, USA - APR 21, 2012
1994 vintage. Cobalt blue bottle, room temperature into a tulip glass. I think a huge part of this beer is how the consumer goes about the actual act of getting it into the glass. For me it consisted of a slight twist of the cork. Instant breakage. The cork itself was really weak and moist. I played around with needle nose pliers for a few minutes but the cork eventually fell into the bottle. No big deal, I readied my coffee filter and slowly poured. I didnít get any large chunks. Well it turns out that the cork plugged up the neck allowing for the slime to stay back and syrupy ooze to flow past slowly. When I got most of the beer out I grabbed a brandy snifter and shook that bottle soy sauce style to get some chunky awesomeness out. The irony was not lost on me... A - Tulip glass: Viscous black body with zero head and carbonation. A swirl produces some alcoholic legs and a bit of a lasting brown trail but no lacing to speak of. Snifter: Chunky black vile. A thick trail stains the sides of the glass and doesnít let go. Its like a glass of fermented mud. Did I mention that I spilled some and it stained my table? S - Super roasty malts. Very deep and smoky. Its a very savory beer with hints of soy, Worcestershire sauce, oak and salted meat. There is just a hint of sweetness to make me believe this isnít just a condiment. Some darkly caramelized figs and maple syrup. Some alcohol on the finish. Super intense T - Not that extreme, certainly less so than the nose. Salty soy sauce and oak predominantly. Each sip brings on a new slightly challenging but unique flavor. Maple syrup, molasses, figs, tobacco, rusty nails, dirt, chocolate and caramel. Complex and ever changing. Sweet and salty finish. Almost no noticeable alcohol. The beer is completely flat but thick and syrupy. O - Despite all the negativity towards this beer, I like triple bock. I know the í94 and í95 vintages are supposed to be the best and í97 is rotten swamp ass, but I had a í97 a few months back and enjoyed it. Iím not ashamed to say that I am a triple bock lover! Its deep, complex, unique, and one hell of a sipper. Its amazing to think about how old this beer is and in my opinion its held up very well. Massive props to whoever properly stored it during its life. Gotta respect Sam Adams to have the audacity to brew a beer like this.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
JoePeesie (871) - Long Lake, Illinois, USA - MAR 25, 2012
1995 vintage: Pours a jet black with fizzy brown head. Nose and taste are of soy sauce and maple syrup. Very odd brew, not as terrible as I expected it to be, Glad I got to try it, it was kind of a bucket list beer for me.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 5/20
kerenmk (2526) - Tel Aviv, ISRAEL - MAR 22, 2012
Bottle sample at a Samuel Adams tasting at my place. Thanks beerandbeyond. Opaque black, no head. soy, chocolate liquor aroma, tastes a little salty, with chocolate and cherry notes. Thick texture, full body. Extreme beer. I was rather disgusted.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Beerona97 (2397) - Washington, USA - MAR 17, 2012
Got to try a 97 bottle of this. The pour was thick and black and left wine/scotch type lacing on the sides of the glass. Aroma was insanely salty. Taste was not as bad and had some dark fruit sweetness, but was still mostly salt. Pretty hard to drink, but certainly interesting. What else would I expect from a 15 year old beer? The bottle was stained on the inside and when I rinsed it out, flakes of black sediment were all over the place.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 14/20
chrisv10 (11333) - DENMARK - MAR 13, 2012
Bottle. Black with no head. Aroma is roasted malts, chocolate, vinous, wood and port. Flavour is roasted malts, sweet, chocolate, prune, vinous, wood, alcohol and soy.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Rasmus40 (11686) - Beder, Aarhus, DENMARK - MAR 13, 2012
Black without head. Aroma is very sweet, roasted malt, dried fruit and heavy alcohol. Flavor is very sweet and moderate bitter. Sweet finish with warming alcohol. 130312

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 14/20
Ontbeertaster (2339) - Ontario, CANADA - MAR 12, 2012
I have just been sitting on a bottle of this. So I felt it was time to bust it. I was surprised that I actaully liked this one. It was quite interesting. The aroma and flavour was surprisingly chocolaty and there was some thick dark fruits in there as well. There were a fair bit of chunks in there. Iím sure from the age, cuz who knows where this bottle was sitting for at least 10 years of its excistance. Thatís just crazy this beer is so old and yet still drinkable. Glad I shared this even for such a small bottle. It was quite powerful. A sipper for sure.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 10/20
timfoolery (1124) - California, USA - JAN 18, 2012
Bottle of 1995 vintage from uncle David. It was just amazing to me to be able to taste a beer that was 17 years old and not completely terrible. There are ratings-horror stories in here that just demonize this beer. Think about it. This beer sat sideways in a cupboard since I was a junior in high school. College, divorce, and kids later, Iím tasting this, with my current wife (ironically) that I met in high school. Anyway, on to the rating... Aromas of soy sauce, sweet molasses, and a little funk. It poured a murky dishwater-puke. Flavors of the aromas came out along with aged maple syrup and chocolate notes. The palate was amazingly intact, although you couldnít identify the 17% alcohol. I was pretty impressed with the offering, and he also gave me a 1994 (first year) bottle to try. Cheers to Jim Koch for changing beer for the better. Without this beer, beers like Firestone XV, Dark Lord, and 120min IPA probably wouldnít exist. Great beer. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone