Samuel Adams Triple Bock

RATINGS: 1061   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.8/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 540   ABV: 18%
Triple Bock is complex, elegant, and has the depth and complexity of a fine cognac, vintage port or an old sherry. Non-carbonated, ruby-black, and very special, Triple Bock should be sipped from a small snifter in a two-ounce serving. This is a beer to savor, and sip slowly. Triple Bock has a brandy-like warmth and a complex melange of fruity, woody, and toffee-like flavors. Let the aroma fill your mouth and nose with rich malt and fruit overtones. Savor and appreciate its enormous character. Serve Triple Bock as you would a fine sherry, at room temperature, in a small snifter. One bottle generously serves two or three. Recork and store standing up. Once poured into a small glass, the layers of aroma and flavor will continue to evolve as the deep ruby brew warms in the hand.

There have been only three vintages produced: 1994, 1995 and 1997, but bottles can still be found in the marketplace. 1994 and 1995 vintages are marked as such on the back label; 1997 vintage is not.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 3/20
Cristobal37 (462) - Budapest, HUNGARY - OCT 9, 2012
What a wild beer! My friends and I split this between 3 of us and had a hard time putting it down, our gullets that is. It has a very powerful aroma of very memorably soy sauce! Little pieces of (?) were floating around our glasses. I enjoy cognacs and brandies, but there is no savoring in this. It is defintiely something to skip. Or if you are the Evil Knevil type, then be sure to take your crew to the tasting.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
kermis (8083) - The Hague, NETHERLANDS - SEP 3, 2012
1997 vintage bottle shared at Delirium Hoppy Loft. Pours dark brown with no head. Aroma is dominated by rich dark chocolate and massive caramel, licorice and toffee. Taking a sip is such a powerful burst of flavour, super sweet with an underlying bitterness and a thick mouthfeel like pouring molasses and melted chocolate straight down your throat, leading into a long caramel and alcohol warm finish. Full bodied with soft carbonation. Intense and lovely but not one to drink much of.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 6/20
PhillyCraft (4528) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 2, 2012
Bottle from bill, 95 vtg, pour is thick deep brown with no head or lacing. Very syrupy mouth with notes of soy sauce and gouda. Smaller flavors of toffee, sugar, and more sugary syrup. Almost tasted like a worse jw lees if that’s possible. This one was old so I tried it, but I hate Sam Adams and other publicly traded macro type producers.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
jredmond (6659) - New York, New York, USA - SEP 1, 2012
UPDATED: SEP 4, 2012 95’ Bottle at bills. Thanks to bill. Pours a deep, thick soy sauce body. aroma is thick molasses, chocolate, booze and soy sauce. Mouthfeel is thick and starts out great with notes that the aroma would suggest. The finish is horrible, thick, cough syrup medicinal finish.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
reggiedunlop (3536) - The dub c, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 7, 2012
1994 bottle...pours black...no head...syrupy looking. Aroma is boozy with raisn/fig...lightly winey like a port...a bit of chocolate covered cherry. Flavor is sweet with raisin/fig/prune and chocolate cherry...not boozy. Mouthfeel is full and liquory...sticky with a sugar sweet raisin/cherry/chocolate finish.

AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 1/20
Huhzubendah (3093) - Washington DC, USA - AUG 2, 2012
1995 Vintage Review #500 I had never had this legendary beer. I decided to pull it out for my 500th review. The beer appears lifeless and still, with a few bubbles of head that pop instantly and leave no lacing. The liquid itself is a very dark brown, near black color. Taking into account the nature of the beer and the fact that it’s fifteen years old, I can’t dock the appearance too harshly. My God, what in the hell took place inside this bottle for the last decade and a half?!? Imagine ordering pho soup and upending a giant bottle of ancient fish sauce into it until the bowl is spilling over. Next, add a few cups of the world’s most pungent soy sauce, then pour the whole thing into a bucket. Leave it outside for a few days, giving some homeless guys the opportunity piss in it at their leisure, so it can start to really reek like something foul and abysmal. Next, saute a frying pan full of raisins, sugar, brown sugar, caramel candies, prune juice, and old coffee grinds (Maxwell House or Folger’s - don’t use anything expensive) on the stove, scorching the entire mixture into black oblivion for approximately one hour. Take this culinary mishap and scoop it into the bucket. Seal the whole concoction off and age it for nearly a generation and...Voila! Exactly what you might expect - an undrinkable, strong, vile, nasty beverage. Drain, beer. Beer, drain. Serving type: bottle Reviewed on: 12-10-2010

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
madmitch76 (19648) - , Essex, ENGLAND - JUL 28, 2012
23rd October 2010
Opaque very dark brown beer, no head, no carbonation. Nose is mostly marmite but has a little chocolate. Palate is semi soft and dry. So to the taste - wasn’t expecting much from this much maligned beer but I’m going to stand with my old mucker Henrik Papso on this and say it’s a fine beer. Immediately reminded me of a vintage port. Rich cherry - blackcurrant and a little tobacco. There is a big splash of Madeira in here as well and then chocolate, coffee and marmite. Finishes dry with a warming afterglow. You just need to get past the nose to appreciate this one!

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 7/20
redtechnj (279) - Williamstown, New Jersey, USA - JUL 27, 2012
This beer, if you call it a beer, is extremely hard to describe. I bought 2 bottles in ’95, had one then and thought it was horrible. Since then I’ve expanded my beer horizons, my experiences with out of the norm beers was limited to Sam Addams various flavors. I recently found the second bottle in the back of my liqour cabinet and thought that maybe I had caught up to the complexities of this beer. Nope. I’ll try almost anything and come away if not happy with the beer but with the wxperience of trying something different. I can’t in any way recomend trying this beer. Aroma of mollassas and whischestershier sauce. Bitter and horrible. This "beer" scared me!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Steasy66 (1086) - Minnesota, USA - JUL 24, 2012
Small bottle into snifter, we don’t know the vintage. A Black no carbonation S Big marshmallow smells T Complex, strange, sweet, cherry, port, soy sauce M Thick, no carbonation O I like this beer, would drink it again, it is strange and complex, I can understand some of the hate, but I also enjoy the beer. Serving type: bottle Reviewed on: 04-14-2012 18:21:55

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
deyholla (8882) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - JUL 8, 2012
Bottle. Pours a thick black with a brown head that starts at the edges and dissipates completely. Aroma has a deep dark dessert wine with some caramel, sweet fruit and a slight astringent note. Flavor has noted of dark fruit and a bit of sweetness with a hint of astringent acid.