Samuel Adams Triple Bock

(RETIRED)
overall

RATINGS: 1035   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.8   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 540   ABV: 18%
Triple Bock is complex, elegant, and has the depth and complexity of a fine cognac, vintage port or an old sherry. Non-carbonated, ruby-black, and very special, Triple Bock should be sipped from a small snifter in a two-ounce serving. This is a beer to savor, and sip slowly. Triple Bock has a brandy-like warmth and a complex melange of fruity, woody, and toffee-like flavors. Let the aroma fill your mouth and nose with rich malt and fruit overtones. Savor and appreciate its enormous character. Serve Triple Bock as you would a fine sherry, at room temperature, in a small snifter. One bottle generously serves two or three. Recork and store standing up. Once poured into a small glass, the layers of aroma and flavor will continue to evolve as the deep ruby brew warms in the hand.

There have been only three vintages produced: 1994, 1995 and 1997, but bottles can still be found in the marketplace. 1994 and 1995 vintages are marked as such on the back label; 1997 vintage is not.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
MacBoost (1249) - Pouring Bus, New York, USA - AUG 27, 2011
1997 bottle shared with dasilky1. Alcohol and soy sauce in the nose. For 14 years old, this one has held up pretty well. That being said, this is not an outstanding beer at all. Soy sauce taste. Black pour with no carbonation. Glad I tried it for the novelty, but will never drink again.

AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 1/20
adnielsen (8970) - Fort Collins, Colorado, USA - AUG 26, 2011
UPDATED: AUG 27, 2011 Bottle @ home. 1995 vintage. I was warned by two people to avoid this beer at all costs but I did not heed their advice. Cork broke upon opening. After removing the cork, I was appalled at the incredibly offensive, unbelievably strong diesel, soy sauce aroma, even from several feet away. The aroma nearly induces vomit (and I mean VERY nearly). Black appearance with no head. Very strong caramel, huge fruity, toffee, wood, kerosene, trinitrotoluene, soy sauce flavor with a major burn (is that DDT that I am tasting?) on the finish. This is the most offensive, undrinkable beer that I’ve ever come across- this is the worst tasting flavor that I’ve ever come across. I would prefer to drink a keg of Keystone Ice over a two ounce glass of this. Absolutely obnoxious. There is no doubt in my mind that I will have nightmares about this beer and my experience. Please heed my warning: do not ever, EVER try this beer!

dionysus (1448) - Arizona, USA - AUG 16, 2011
1997 Bottle pours deep brown/black with no head. Aroma shows notes of salted meat, soy, chocolate, and heavy roast. Flavor shows the same with additional notes of alcohol soaked dark fruit, oak, and burnt brown sugar. Overall body is extremely full and viscous with plenty of booziness and heavy roasted character. A little goes a long way and I wish I had shared this rather than tried to conquer the beast myself.

0.7
   AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 1/20
Tripplebeer (34) - - JUL 20, 2011
We are still talking about beer, dont we. A horrible liquor like something. Well, the bottle looks at least nice.

AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 1/20
pastradul (43) - California, USA - JUL 10, 2011
I go to pull the cork and the bottom quarter crumbles into the bottle... I fret none and pour carefully into a snifter. aroma... I have no idea what is happening, smells of teriyaki sauce. Teriyaki sauce that has turned. Taste.... after looking at this thick ooze and smelling it for several minutes, and after getting my wife to smell it... i decide I must take at least on sip...considering I payed for the bottle. Probably not even a quarter of an oz gets on my tongue and I spit it out into the sink. I grab a glass of water and try to cleanse... but nothing stands up to this pungent stuff. Think I drank hot sauce or ran to brush my teeth and scrub my tongue off. by for the worst thing I have ever tasted, not even in the beer world, but in all of my life.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
jtclockwork (8190) - , New Jersey, USA - JUN 25, 2011
UPDATED: JAN 13, 2014 Bottle. Consumed a very long time ago. Pours black. No head. Nose/taste of hot alcohol, chocolate, rye bread, boiled coffee beans and thick carmelized toffee. Harsh mouth feel. Big alcohol burn.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Koelschtrinker (10475) - Köln (Cologne), GERMANY - JUN 9, 2011
Aromatischer Geruch nach Kirschen und Alkohol. Malziger und sehr starker Antrunk, vom Geschmack und der Konsistenz an Likör erinnernd. Auch im Mittelteil sehr stark und eigen, eine Getreidenote ist überaus kräftig und wirkt dennoch etwas verloren. Der Alkohol ist grandios im Hintergrund gehalten. Angenehm ist, dass das Malz etwas an stärke verliert, die Schokoladigkeit dafür aber zunimmt. Stark hopfig, süss und gleichzeitig getreidig-malzig im Abgang, harmonisch, spitze! Etwas nach Cornflakes. Das Bier überzeugt aufgrund der Ausgewogenheit trotz des hohen Alkoholgehalts. Genial! Test vom 27.8.2008, Gebinde: Glasflasche Noten: -,14,12,13,13,13 - 13,00

0.6
   AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 2/20
HonusWagner (1365) - Florida, USA - MAY 29, 2011
95. Absolutely dreadful. Soy sauce, pure soy sauce, and a little bit sweet with a cough inducing finish. Would maybe taste good with some fried rice.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
TheJestersBeer (2039) - SWEDEN - MAR 31, 2011
1997 bottle. Pours pitch black, with a greenish tint, no head whatsoever. Big, dense nose, dark chocolates, cocoa, rye bread, oil, coffee beans, walnuts, very complex yet somehow impenetrable. Full bodied, thick texture, almost completely dry. Very rich, compact taste, cocoa, coffee beans, walnuts, tar, a slightly sour note, and a lingering, alcoholic finish. (2010-10-20)

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
taphandle (1135) - Texas, USA - MAR 30, 2011
My bottle must be from 1997. Dark, no carbonation. Aroma is sweet and of dark molasses - almost overpowering. Taste is of grapes and reminds of a port - and the taste is better than the aroma. It’s sweet and has some dark fruit flavors. The finish is mostly the evaporation of alcohol. I doubt I’ll be able to finish the whole bottle myself.