Samuel Adams Triple Bock

(RETIRED)
overall

RATINGS: 1035   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.8   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 540   ABV: 18%
Triple Bock is complex, elegant, and has the depth and complexity of a fine cognac, vintage port or an old sherry. Non-carbonated, ruby-black, and very special, Triple Bock should be sipped from a small snifter in a two-ounce serving. This is a beer to savor, and sip slowly. Triple Bock has a brandy-like warmth and a complex melange of fruity, woody, and toffee-like flavors. Let the aroma fill your mouth and nose with rich malt and fruit overtones. Savor and appreciate its enormous character. Serve Triple Bock as you would a fine sherry, at room temperature, in a small snifter. One bottle generously serves two or three. Recork and store standing up. Once poured into a small glass, the layers of aroma and flavor will continue to evolve as the deep ruby brew warms in the hand.

There have been only three vintages produced: 1994, 1995 and 1997, but bottles can still be found in the marketplace. 1994 and 1995 vintages are marked as such on the back label; 1997 vintage is not.

wulfhere (217) - Billings, Montana, USA - DEC 17, 2003
I wanted to see why this beer has such a low rating, so I read quite a few ratings before I tasted the beast. I can see that this is maybe the most controversial beer on this site--it seems to be love it or hate it. I guess I want to compare what Boston Brewing Co. says they were trying to achieve with Sam Adams Triple Bock, and what they claim it should be like versus what I get out of it. First a couple of notes: I believe that RateBeer.com saddled Sam Adams Triple Bock with the "Barleywine" descriptor in order to categorize it for those who would rate it. Boston Brewing Co. calls it "Triple Bock," and leaves it at that, implying that it's a new style of beer. In response to a couple of comments indicating that Boston Beer Co. should tell you to cellar the Triple Bock-- they do. They claim "Age seems only to improve Triple Bock, making it more complex, and slightly dryer. This is a beer to hoard!" I'd like to point out that traditional "bock" beers are lagers as well, although the Sam Adams Triple Bock is made using "top fermenting yeast." Someone claims BBC uses champagne yeast, and this would make sense given the OG. Given the ale yeast, I don't know why Jim Koch chose to call his creation a "triple bock" as opposed to "barleywine," especially when he makes a point of comparing it to port and sherry. *********************** Now for the Tasting! 1998 vintage, I think--I've had it in the cellar for years. The bottle is perhaps the coolest I've seen for a beer, rivaling some of the Belgian crock bottles for style. I'm a sucker for cobal blue too. The beer has NO head--that's what BBC claims as well, so they ain't lying. It pours a very dark, opaque brown, like a stout or dark porter, but with some serious red wine colors at the edges of the glass where the light can pass through. It resembles a very dark cabernet. The nose is incredibly complex: huge malt, raisin, molasses, licorice, and I find myself comparing it to a very rich cognac, but without the same heat in the nose--and far more impact. The overall impression is more intense than port or cognac--there's more oomph behind this beer. When I swirl the Triple Bock gently, it has in wine terms what you would call "good legs," that is, the beer clings to the side of the glass and slides very slowly down. First taste: what the hell am I doing pouring this whole bottle into a glass? Drink it like you would cognac--put a shotglass quantity in a brandy snifter and let it warm up. On the tongue it's very very sweet, with vinous character like a port or congnac--just like Jim Koch says it does. It's first very sweet with cherry/molasses flavor bursting into your mouth as the beer slides around. It's extremely flavorful, maybe moreso than any beer I've ever had. After the initial burst of fruity cherry/molasses flavor, the alcohol heat hits hard, as does the odd, medicine like aftertaste. Jim Koch wanted "a . . .single sip to do away with all preconceptions of the taste and flavors that can be found in beer," and I think that Sam Adams Triple Bock does just that. Has anyone out there tasted anything as outrageous a this beer? I can't say that I love this beer or that it's my favorite--It's too over the top. But I do appreciate what it tries to achieve. I guess I have to admire Boston Brewing Company and Jim Koch for being willing to produce a beer that clearly has such a small target demographic. In this day and age of mass production and bean counters calling all of the shots in major American breweries, it's nice to know that someone's willing to stick their neck out and produce a massive, insanely bold beer. So, love it or hate it--Sam Adams Triple Bock does everything Boston Brewing Company claims it does--they ain't lying. I'm going to judge it as a "specialty beer," based upon Boston Brewing Companies claims about the beer.

SledgeJr (3577) - Omaha, Nebraska, USA - MAY 14, 2004
UPDATED: JUL 7, 2010 Vintage 1995. Tasted at my own Barleywine tasting of May 2004. The cork broke, even though it has been stored on its side these many years in my basement. The ale is disturbingly dark. An opaque ruby glow in incandescent light. Dominant nose is chocolate. WOW!!! This is a fine port! When I exhale into the glass, the breath blows into my eyes and burns them. This is like drinking virginís blood. It tastes way better than it smells. I would compare it not to beer, but to chocholate cherry kijafa of Denmark. It burns not only the tongue, but also the duodenum. I tasted this for the first time in 1995 and found it to be an aggressive little bitch. Today, sheís quite the seasoned lover. I would like to think that if I were ever incarcerated, as a homebrewer, I would make an ale like this out of raisins and hide it in my toilet. Then, I would rule the cell block and be no oneís bitch. The tasting glasses were tobacco-stained and had to be not just rinsed, but thrown away. EVERYONE at the tasting loved this potion. I understand that half the Ratebeerians love it and half hate it, so I donít think it would be appropriate to score this anything other than 0.5 or 5. For those of you who do not love this one, as Eric Cartman would say: "Screw you hippies, Iím going home." UPDATE: In the bottle at my 2006 Barleywine tasting. 1997 vintage. Heavy Worscheshire sause. Soy, soy, Iím your boy. This is beer port with long long legs. Thereís no discernable ethanol to this deceitful demon. Chocolate prune juice. UPDATE 2/2007: At the 2007 Big Beer, Belgians, & Barleywines Festival in Vail. Tasted a batch that was labelled "Vintage 2003." All I have to say is "OUCH," the old girl still has it. My Five still stands. UPDATE In the bottle on 11/13/09. Vintage 1994. Blackstrap molasses. I get a licorice aroma for what might be the first time! One can get drunk from just breathing the vapors of this beer. Thereís a prebiotic soup in the bottom of the bottle. Huge prunes, no alcohol at all. Thereís a mild aroma of a small amount of ethanol. I would score this a 6.0 if I could. UPDATE In the bottle on 11/13/09. Vintage 1997. This is not at all like the 1994 vintage. The aroma has a slight burn to your nose. The flavor is oddly vegetable and perhaps Vegemite. This is liquid Vegemite. Itís not as tasty as the 1994. This is the first bottle of triple bock that I would not score a perfect 5.0. But still it has a huge soy aroma that I love.

LooseCannon (938) - Norfolk, Virginia, USA - AUG 31, 2006
1997 vintage. Thanks to Immy. Soy Sauce Aroma outstanding Barley Wine. If you do not like this one, I will take it off your hands.

lgklotet (432) - Stockholm, SWEDEN - APR 17, 2007
1997 vintage, sampled in early 2007. This was one of the first rare/big beers I procured early on in my drinking career and Iíve been holding on to it for 1,5 years now. I figured that the Triple Bock might be wasted on too inexperienced a palate. Man was I right. This stuff is absolutely marvellous! I should mention that we split a bottle between six people and were all satisfied.. I have one bottle left, maybe Iíll wait another five years or so.

SudsMcDuff (5789) - .....Manchester United.........., Texas, USA - OCT 27, 2007
My first perfect 5!

One of the best beers the world has ever seen!
I feel sorry for people who donít like it, sometimes it gets me ticked off for a second but then i think, ííhey, more pure gold for me!íí .

..Pours thick and black, with a red golden tint on the edges---

smell is of god ---

amazing legs for a beer ---

taste is indescribable goodness, heavily sweetened and quite thick for a beer ---

I could die happy having tasted this and more so, i wish i had the money to buy the rest of the worldís supply... i love this beer!
If Mr.Koch ever reads this, e-mail me, Iíll do horrible disgusting things to get more of this beer!

georgekappus (296) - Brookfield, Connecticut, USA - APR 19, 2008
1997 vintage. Pours a deep thick dark brown with no head. Aroma is thick full of alcohol and molasses. Flavor is a little bitter but thick and sweet as well. And obviously a strong alcohol presence. A thick and meaty beer to be savored slowly.

coldmeat23 (232) - Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA - OCT 29, 2009
GLASS: Snifter TEMP: Cellared @ approx 50 degrees There is no íneck tagí, so Iím unsure of vintage. [In the interest of full disclosure, I like this beer alot. Iíve had quite a few of them, over the years. Donít know why I havenít got around to reviewing it before now. I havenít had one in about 8 months now, letís see how itís doing, shall we?] As always, this pours jet black. It is still (no carbonation). It is extremely viscous and oily. There is obviously no head or lacing. In lieu of lacing though, it leaves an íoilyí residue on the sides of the glass. I think that this is beautiful. The nose is filled with a mammoth oakiness. It smells like there should be a few oak chips in the glass. There are huge, deep, notes of chocolate covered dark fruits. Milk and dark chocolates, both. Black cherries, figs, dates, raisins, and more. There is also a nice, mild touch of maple sweetness here. This also has a fair amount of booziness in the nose, but at 17.50%abv, thatís certainly no surprise! Okay, this is an absolutely, monumentally, complex flavor profile. I know that I wonít do it justice, but Iíll give it a shot. If you had a Cuisinart and filled it with chocolate covered cherries, dates, figs, raisins, Ghiradelli chocolate covered caramels, maple syrup, a handful of mixed, toasted, nuts, a few dark roasted coffee beans, and a bunch of oak chips that were drizzled with liquid smoke, then pureed it and served it in unfinished oak mugs, youíd come close to the flavor of this beer, I think. There is so much going on in this beer, itís hard to nail it all down. Despite the lack of carbonation, I love the body of this beer. Itís full-bodied and almost thick. Itís more viscous than almost any beer that Iíve ever had (DL would be my first thought as possibly more viscous, but Iíd have to do a side-by-side to know for sure). Itís smooth and very silky and completely coats your palate, in the most wonderful, delicious way. Okay, for me, itís looking like this beer is perfect. I, quite honestly, didnít expect that to happen. I knew that my rating would be on the high end, for sure, but Iím as surprised as you that Iíve given it a perfect score. I love this beer and I wish that they would make more of it. Either that or send me however much thay have left at this point. If you have some, feel free to contact me for my shipping address, or to work out a trade. If there is some store in your area, selling them for a buck or two a bottle (Iíve scene this before), then please contact me and weíll work something out.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 20/20
seuinoz (142) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JUN 11, 2003
YEAH 100th Beer Rated So Happy(brings a tear to my eye)(the day has come) perfect beer to do it too. very impressed with this beer or what ever they call this strong ass stuff. i got a hint of wood in the taste(which stuck for a long time after the sip.(shot glass is perfect for this strong ass beer. i wish i could have waited for another yr to try it, but i have already waited three yrs to try it. after having half the bottle i still have the taste in my mouth. it is a sipping beer not a chugging beer. please make sure you have a chair or a couch under you when you drink this beer. i have no complaints here. very very strong. but very very good.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
mohawksin (187) - Nebraska, USA - JUL 19, 2004
95 Poured very dark, almost black. No head. As thick as a light syrup, enough to make it cling to the sides of the glass. Held up to the light, it had a ruby glow along the bottom of the glass. Many smells: wood, raisin, chocolate, coffee, molasses. First taste warmed up my mouth. Sweet, coffee tastes, no alcohol burn. Lingering chocolate taste for several minutes. This isnít for drinking, more for sipping slowly.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
POPS (6) - Malmoe, SWEDEN - MAY 8, 2002 does not count
A beer that demands a little knowledge about how to drink it, poured out the first one I bought 6 years ago but now it’s one of my favourites and superb to a dessert.