RATINGS: 935   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.05/5   EST. CALORIES: 810   ABV: 27%
To create Utopias, the brewers at Sam Adams used traditional brewing ingredients including all four types of Noble hops, which add a slightly earthy, herbal taste. The spiciness of the hops really comes alive. In fact, Utopias MMII has even been described by some as almost "fiery" -- a fitting description for the strongest beer in history. Beyond the special brand of hops, Utopias features ingredients that truly set it apart from other varieties of beer. Utopias MMII contains caramel and Vienna malts for its rich amber color and several different types of yeast including a variety found in champagne. $100 a bottle and it's limited to 3000 bottles, which look like copper brew kettles.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
drpimento (2628) - La Crosse, Wisconsin, USA - APR 21, 2007
This was a 2005 bottle we shared at Bodega Brew Pub downtown La Crosse last night. A still beer so some qualities are missing such as head and lace. Had a very lovely redish amber color. Very aromatic caramel, walnuts, sherry, and hints of brandy, rum, and whiskey. flavor was the same and very sweet. Great finish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
highlandlad (1447) - Blue Mountains, AUSTRALIA - APR 18, 2007
This is one of those rare creations that extends the boundaries of what beer can be. It’s priced accordingly but I’d love to have a bottle of this in the drinks cabinet for special occasions. It’s still and spirit-like in the glass, clear bronze showing good legs. Rich spiritous aroma - vanilla, oak and port. Lovely. Flat palate, quite oily. Delicious flavours of liquid toffee, brandy, caramel pudding and maple syrup. Strong oak. Very sweet and sticky. Cognac-like in texture and complexity. It was a privilege to try this. Many thanks to Linc for the opportunity. (Bottle - 2005 vintage at the Sydney Jan 07 RateBeer gathering)

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
TheDog (585) - Aarhus, DENMARK - APR 17, 2007
Bottle 2005 version. I´ve been so lucky to taste 2-3 cl. of this incredible barley wine. I would describe this brew, more closer to sherry or port. No carbonation, no head. But so much aroma and taste.Very herbal and spicy, but still smooth mouthfeel. It warms in the finish, like a brandy. New limited edition brewed this year. This Utopias being mine no. 100.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
HumuloneRed (751) - Portland, Oregon, USA - APR 16, 2007
This is crazy stuff! I’ve only had it at festivals like the GABF or NHC so I’ve never been able to sit down and try it! Thanks to the customer who brought some of this in for me! The pour is a clear copper color with no carbonation and thick streaming “legs” on the glass as you swirl it. The nose is very warm and nutty with a lot of maple. The flavor has hazelnuts, vanilla, caramel, figs, and maple that finishes pretty hot, but not as hot as you would think. It defiantly is more like a port wine than a beer. Worth a try if you can get it.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
jonas (6301) - Garching b. München, GERMANY - APR 16, 2007
Sampled ages ago in ølbutikken, mange tak! Hazy amber no head. Brandyish and sherry aroma, potent, alcohol burn. Nutty, sweet. marzipan. long sherry aftertaste. slick.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Angeloregon (2055) - Portland, Oregon, USA - MAR 26, 2007
This beer gets props for being so strong, hard to find, and expensive. My friend Lem let me taste this and I have to say it was pretty scrumptious. Had the body and texture of a port wine more than a beer. Flavor of cognac and maple syrup were present up front while subtler characteristics such as sherry, vanilla and figs. I only wish I had some good cheese to go with this beer. Definitely not worth the price, but worth a try for any beer snob.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
afterglow (1047) - Florida, USA - MAR 23, 2007
2005 bottle. Pours a clear copper with no head. Leaves legs like a good cognac. Aroma of cognac, port wine, maple syrup, sweet malt, vanilla, oak, and alcohol. The taste is sweet and porty with hints of vanilla and maple syrup with a touch of bitterness at the end. More like a good port and cognac mixed together but still a great beverage.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
hiphops (286) - caldwell, New Jersey, USA - FEB 12, 2007
EBF 07. looks liek whisky oil. it reminds me of cognac made with beer. vanilla oak and nice and sweet.while this beer wasnt bad at all. it was just too much like a weak (as in abv not taste) cognac then a strong beer. i just dont see the point. id rather have an XO bottle of cognac than this for a 150.(which is what the lq buy me has it for.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
sliffy (2040) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - FEB 12, 2007
EBF 2007: Clear copper color with some nice legs to it. Aroma, caramel, some vanilla and a whole lot of booze. Flavor, tastes like a nice smooth whiskey, some caramel, and a sweetness to it. I expected it to be a lot more boozy than it really was, but an interesting beer indeed.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Aarleks (409) - Sydney, AUSTRALIA - FEB 4, 2007
Bottle, 2005 vintage (Sydney Summer Gathering 2007): Let me begin by saying that I came to this glass with absolutely no preconcetions about this beer. I didn’t even know the style or the intention. Presenting as a very dark gold with no head, I thought it likely to be a barley wine. However, as I drank in the heady aromas I was astounded. For some time I have imagined the ways that beer can match the high points that the wine industry, through its sheer size, can support. Here, I was presented with not only an equal, but a challenger to the great digestives and aperitifs of the world. Reading some ratings I see that year to year this changes, but in terms of the 2005 what we have is a world class drink. Spiritous cognac-like aroma that derives character from some smokey caramels. Very sweet in the mouth, with some sharp alcohol notes amid symphonies of stickyness. There is no doubt in my mind that this would be absolutely brilliant as a digestif. Outstanding.