overall

RATINGS: 878   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.05   EST. CALORIES: 810   ABV: 27%
To create Utopias, the brewers at Sam Adams used traditional brewing ingredients including all four types of Noble hops, which add a slightly earthy, herbal taste. The spiciness of the hops really comes alive. In fact, Utopias MMII has even been described by some as almost "fiery" -- a fitting description for the strongest beer in history. Beyond the special brand of hops, Utopias features ingredients that truly set it apart from other varieties of beer. Utopias MMII contains caramel and Vienna malts for its rich amber color and several different types of yeast including a variety found in champagne. $100 a bottle and it's limited to 3000 bottles, which look like copper brew kettles.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
TheBeerGod (5184) - Newport News, Virginia, USA - FEB 8, 2004
HUGE thanks to argo0 for letting my try a beer I'd never thought I'd ever even see! Vintage 2003. Bottle #06757. WOW! Reddish body with zilch going on in the head department. Aroma is huge! Malt, dark chocolate, ALCOHOL, butterscotch, etc. This is very liquor like and less beer like to me, but whatever. Surprisingly not a lot of alcohol burn with this. I noticed some chocolate and liquor notes in the taste and the alcohol was very present but not too intrusive. There's a brown sugar/maple syrup like taste as well, and I personally tasted some mead in it. I guess because we had it not too long after the Apis Jadwiga. Damn good and very drinkable!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
dirtymike (2016) - Manchester, New Hampshire, USA - FEB 7, 2004
Orange in color,very clear,no carbonation,no head.Aroma is of malt,chocolate,soy sauce,alcohol,bourbon,wood/oak,nuts-hazelnuts reminiscant of Frangelica.Flavor is of cherries,sherry,wood/oak,malt very dry finish that warms and burns on it's way down.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
ericnixon (738) - Portland, Oregon, USA - FEB 1, 2004
UPDATED: JUL 16, 2005 Clear, with a light orangy color. No fizz or head. Strong alcohol aroma that reminds me of cognac. Strong burning caramely butterscotch flavor that hangs and twists in your mouth for a moment before dropping like a rollercoaster down your throat leaving firey tendrils licking behind it which linger for minutes afterwards. I think itís a stretch to call this beer. Itís damn good though.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
DCopperfields (145) - Alabama, USA - JAN 19, 2004
Damn, this is like drinkin cognac, but very, very nice. Copper in color, no head and little if any carbonation. Not what I consider beer, even if technically this is what it its. Nevertheless, extreme!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
ukoolaid (576) - Amherst, Massachusetts, USA - JAN 18, 2004
Extreme Beer Fest '04: My god this is an ass kicker. It is deep amber in color with the aroma of caramel and buttery scotch. It seriously tastes like a cognac. I really like this in very small doses, but it seems a little to strong to be a beer, thus the lower rating than it might deserve.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
vwsteggie (684) - Paxton, Massachusetts, USA - JAN 18, 2004
Extreme Beer Fest Boston 2004: Has a amber color and a sweet candy smell. Taste is like a cognac/sweet malts and finishes with a strong alcohol burn. Overall a very interesting beer, but not my thing...

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
DrGonzo (625) - Somerville, Massachusetts, USA - JAN 17, 2004
This beer is in a class all its own. Fire red color. Butterscotch dominates the aroma and flavor. Mix of cognac, burns like whiskey at times, but still has a malt backing pull it back to beer status. Very sweet as well. Tough drinking at times, even as a small sample. Glad I got to sample at extreme beer fest, and didn't drop $125 on the "bottle".

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
vector (163) - Dallas, Texas, USA - JAN 9, 2004
Uhm... wow! Is this really beer? Whatever it is I like it. Flavor like brown sugar dissolved in brandy. Texture was thick and rich with little (no?) carbonation. A splendid after-dinner drink for sure. Cool copper tank packaging.

egajdzis (5277) - Spring Mount, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 23, 2003
UPDATED: SEP 15, 2005 Pours a reddish copper color with no head at all. When swirled in a snifter, it coats the glass beautifully. Aroma of wood, maple (maybe a maple tree)and brandy. The aroma of alcohol also burnt my nose hairs. Sweet initial taste. It coated the mouth very well. As I continue sipping cherry, maple syrup and sherry flavors emerge. Finishes very dry with a burn that eats my esophagus and stomach up. This was very interesting.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Eyedrinkale (3213) - Astoria, New York, USA - DEC 15, 2003
UPDATED: SEP 27, 2004 All I can say is "What The Fuck Was That"? It should be in some liquor category. I drink beer cause I can drink a lot and not get as fucked up. A nice beverage but no way a barley wine.