overall

RATINGS: 860   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.04   EST. CALORIES: 810   ABV: 27%
To create Utopias, the brewers at Sam Adams used traditional brewing ingredients including all four types of Noble hops, which add a slightly earthy, herbal taste. The spiciness of the hops really comes alive. In fact, Utopias MMII has even been described by some as almost "fiery" -- a fitting description for the strongest beer in history. Beyond the special brand of hops, Utopias features ingredients that truly set it apart from other varieties of beer. Utopias MMII contains caramel and Vienna malts for its rich amber color and several different types of yeast including a variety found in champagne. $100 a bottle and it's limited to 3000 bottles, which look like copper brew kettles.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
flemdawg (524) - Naples, Florida, USA - OCT 19, 2003
FWE beer#7. Matt, you rock. The bottle was sittting there all nite, just taunting us. The second leg of teh Sam Adams Triple Crown run. This is the one beer I was almost afraid to drink. $90 a bottle, and 25% abv was enough to rattle me a bit. Again, in a snifTer. Head was one after a second or two. The apperance was like apple cider, getting darker from top to bottom. Smelled this one for a looong time. The first and most lasting impression of the aroma was tequilla, and then add in some vanila. There was so much more I just could not pick out. I balked twice at taking the frist sip. Alcohol, yes. After that, brandy and coginac tastes. Almost not a beer. Great experience though.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 8/20
aobecksy (700) - Middle of no where, Ohio, USA - OCT 19, 2003
Tasted after the 1994 Triple Bock and before the Millennium at Thedm's. An experience not able to be articulated. Smell was worse than its bite. i equated it to southern comfort, but I am sure the guys will say something more articulate.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
thedm (4889) - Fort Wayne, USA - OCT 19, 2003
UPDATED: OCT 24, 2003 Fort Wayne event. The eighth brew of the evening and one of our event brews. Bottle number 8345 of an advertised 8000 total. Hmmmm. This brew has one of the most powerful aromas you can imagine coming from a beer. Upon opening the bottle it hits you then you pour it and get an even stronger whiff of it, then you stick your nose in it and get hit by the battering ram! Boom your sense of smell is gone! Which way did the freight train go? Strong elements of alcohol like tequila mixed with vanila extract mess up your nose. Then you sit back in amazement at this brew. The body is a transparent copper color with medium sized quickly disppearing white colored bubbles. The mouthfeel is very smooth on the tongue then you swallow and BURRRRRRNNNNNN! WOW!!!! What a feeling! It has a strong cogniac flavor mixed with sherry and alcohol esthers. This is like no other beer and in its own class. People were getting wasted off just a few sips of this beer and Jsquire simply sat back in amazement unable to get past the aroma. Definately a sipping beer if you can call it a beer at all. It was actually quite good considering its ABV. To sum it up, this beer is simply overwhelming.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 11/20
Silphium (3158) - East Lansing, Michigan, USA - OCT 19, 2003
The second leg of our triple-legged Sam Adams journey. Thanks to thedm for providing this rather pricey beverage. Dirty copper appearance, and I did see a few bubbles! Aroma was whiskey-in-the-jarro, or, as I was told by connoisseurs of the hard stuff, tequila. I hate both. Also some vinousness and musty earthiness. Flavor was sweet with vanilla and maple syrup dominating the palate. Heavy alcohol too. Each swallow brought a quick chase of water (like I said, I'm not a liquor fan). Overall, this was too heavy on the alcohol, although I suppose that is part of its uniqueness. Not nearly as syrupy as the Triple Bock. Warms the belly, this here slow sipper!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 10/20
BBB63 (5750) - La Porte, Indiana, USA - OCT 19, 2003
Thanks to Matt for getting a bottle of this for the party! We had this brew after the 1994 Triple Bock and before the Millennium, WOW! Big, bold and not so beautuful. This dark reddish/brown liquid produced an oily film with excellent tears showing it's big heavy body. A huge molasses and alcohol aroma attacked the nose like a oncoming train wreck. No quarter! Additionally, detected a large vanilla extract, ruby port, maple syrup, and earthy yeast ester. Almost harsh in it's treatment of my palate as well. Strong alcohol burn on lips and through to the chest. Very sticky sweet and syrupy. It brought back memories of the EKU28 I was forced to drink as an 18 year old airman in Germany. Not very nice. The taste went on forever, even bread and water couldn't subdue the maple, only time did. This is not a beer, it's a liquor. Well, I had it once and most likely will never again.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
lemonlovr (190) - Orland Park, Illinois, USA - OCT 13, 2003
Aroma dominated by woodiness and vanilla. Color is brown. Flavor is dominated by alcohol although fairly smooth, all things considered. Actual flavors include vanilla, hazlenut, and amaretto. Big thanks to nuffield for giving acrodizer and I a taste of Utopias.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
3fourths (7802) - Boulder, Colorado, USA - OCT 13, 2003
UPDATED: FEB 17, 2010 Dark amber copper color. Good, rich amaretto, almond and vanilla aroma. Extremely rich, burning the tip of my lips and the back of my mouth. Very smooth considering that it 24% (as it says on the bottle, not 25%). Huge thanks go out to Nuffield for sharing this rare "beer" with me and my friends.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
fly (1394) - austin, Tejas, Alabama, USA - OCT 7, 2003
GABF - Color me against the grain if you will. I went back to sample so many times I presumed I would be cut off or asked if I was only in it for the ABV. I can see that there is a world of flavor there and perhaps if I were in a smoking jacket in the study with my feet propped up in slippers rather than standing in a noisy hall cramming my over sized schnozz in a small tasting glass I would have found more than an ever present alcohol that kept battling the flavor. Highly unimpressed.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
opiate (199) - Sandy, Utah, USA - OCT 4, 2003
Tried this at the GABF. Probably the only place I'd be able to afford it. I really loved this "beer." I'm not sure I'd use the word beer to describe it...but it was damn good. Very complex. Warming. Incredible aftertaste...I didn't want to try my next beer at the Great American Beer Festival for fear of losing the beautiful flavor lingering in my mouth.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
JorisPPattyn (7722) - Antwerpen, BELGIUM - OCT 2, 2003
Dark copper, like exotic honey, no head. Infinitely complex nose, with spikes of nuts, dried apples, plums, earthy. Taste is like a heavy, velvety rare liqueur based on exquisite brandy, fruits (plums again), all the esters, and - remarkably - maple syrup. Overfull body, immmensely warming, and amazingly velvety mouthfeel. This is truly superb and unique. It cut through a series of abbey-ales as a Cru Classé Pauillac through some Médoc villages.