overall

RATINGS: 882   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.05   EST. CALORIES: 810   ABV: 27%
To create Utopias, the brewers at Sam Adams used traditional brewing ingredients including all four types of Noble hops, which add a slightly earthy, herbal taste. The spiciness of the hops really comes alive. In fact, Utopias MMII has even been described by some as almost "fiery" -- a fitting description for the strongest beer in history. Beyond the special brand of hops, Utopias features ingredients that truly set it apart from other varieties of beer. Utopias MMII contains caramel and Vienna malts for its rich amber color and several different types of yeast including a variety found in champagne. $100 a bottle and it's limited to 3000 bottles, which look like copper brew kettles.

Duhast500 (413) - Cumberland, Rhode Island, USA - JUL 30, 2009
Review No. 50 I had a small sample of this amazing beer. I know it was just a taste but I felt I needed to explain the experience. The appearance was a dark gold/amber, no head and no carbonation. The smell was complex, many flavors blending together, the hints of dark chocolate, a little coffee bean aroma, some maple syrup flavor. The taste was quite warm, since served at room temperature and also due to the high alcohol content. The taste had hints of chocolate, coffee, maple syrup, raisin, walnuts, peanut butter, and a few more I canít name. Iím sure this was not intended to consume in large amounts but a tasting was just the right amount. It went done smooth and just seemed to slide across the tongue.

brewersspot (97) - , California, USA - OCT 28, 2010
Loved this. had it a few times at the GABF. Itís just so unique that you canít help but try it. If you ever get a chance to try it I would recommend you take the shot.

BillZav (22) - Sarasota, Florida, USA - JAN 24, 2011
The 2009 edition is definitely something special. Caramel in color with big notes of sweet caramel, vanilla spices, and an oaky cognac like backbone. Utopias has a nice candy like feel to it and is very warming.

Maltajo (329) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - MAY 10, 2011
Copper kettle bottle right out of Daknoleís cellar! Dark slinky pour With no head at all, (of course). Smooth deep brandy like flavor that permeates your whole sensory system. Thank you Dak!

rtmover (1) - , Massachusetts, USA - MAY 11, 2011 does not count
Absolutely Incredible !!! I tried the 2009 and I have to say the 2011 is just s good, if not better. Everyone who reviewed before me got it right A+. I actually picked up a few extra bottles. If you are interested in buying one send me an email rtmover@yahoo.com cheaper than eBay !

dragonlady1010 (30) - Illinois, USA - JUN 5, 2011
Iíve had the privilege of tasting this twice...once while stewarding at the World Beer Cup and now at the judgesí dinner at Sam Adams LongShot Chicago. When dessert was brought to the table accompanied by a miniature chocolate coffee cup, I thought "What if it is?" And it was! Aroma is intense, with notes of maple, vanilla, bourbon, toffee, and fig just to name a few...truly amazing! The flavor was as complex as the aroma, with maple, oak, vanilla, toffee, honey, bourbon, and dark fruit. I was thrilled to get another sample of this. Wonderful.

b79turner (223) - Alabama, USA - JUN 19, 2011
Special thanks to my wife Shannon for this wedding present!! 2005, pours a deep amber/brown color with absolutely no carbonation, no head, no lacing. This beer drinks like a finely aged whiskey. Huge mouthfeel, caramel, toffee, vanilla, figs. SO complex itís hard to truly describe. A light sweetness balances out the extremely noticeable burn of alcohol. Sam Adams Utopias is a one-of-a-kind beer...a must try!!

NeoHippie2 (978) - Louisville, Kentucky, USA - OCT 16, 2011
Delicious. Amazing. I donít even really know where to begin. I guess Iíll start by saying there is absolutely nothing Iíve had that I could compare this to. This is such a totally unique offering. On the nose I get dried fruits, cognac, brandy, wine, barely. Just a ton of different interesting smells. Tastes more like a fine cognac than a beer but still it is so good. No carbonation. If you have the opportunity to buy one, absolutely do it. So worth the money plus the bottle is cool as hell too. Great brew, I wish it was more readily available but I guess the rarity of it is part of what makes it such a treat.

twindog (260) - Hampstead, Maryland, USA - DEC 31, 2011
A: Pours a nice chestnut brown with no head at all.taste of candied sugar, some dried fruits, vanilla and a bit of walnut. T: Sweet like a fine port or dessert wine. Notes of brown sugar, vanilla and candied fruit. M: No carbonation, but who needs it with something like this.. O: Hard to even call this a beer. Loads of complexity. It was amazing

buckduckgoose (7) - westminster, Maryland, USA - DEC 31, 2011 does not count
By far the most interesting brew ever. I canít believe it is actually a craft beer. We first celebrated while we took photos with the beautiful copper like brew kettle, then we poured the amazing beer. A whiskey color, with a sweet, sherry/cognac scent. A sweet raisin and banana, honey-liquer finish. Fermented apple start and warmth. The most amazing beer I have ever had. I shared a few cognac glasses with cby best buds Twindog and Bigguns22 on new years eve. Tactical nuclear penguin is next.