overall

RATINGS: 899   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.04   EST. CALORIES: 810   ABV: 27%
To create Utopias, the brewers at Sam Adams used traditional brewing ingredients including all four types of Noble hops, which add a slightly earthy, herbal taste. The spiciness of the hops really comes alive. In fact, Utopias MMII has even been described by some as almost "fiery" -- a fitting description for the strongest beer in history. Beyond the special brand of hops, Utopias features ingredients that truly set it apart from other varieties of beer. Utopias MMII contains caramel and Vienna malts for its rich amber color and several different types of yeast including a variety found in champagne. $100 a bottle and it's limited to 3000 bottles, which look like copper brew kettles.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
DYCSoccer17 (3357) - Woodland, California, USA - DEC 1, 2012
3 ounce sample. The aroma is initially boozy with some oxidized, cardboardy, and sherry notes present. There are also some sweet, fruity, and vinous notes as well. The ethanol is heavy on the nose, and burns the nostrils. I also detect a little brown sugar, as well as some maple character. Very complex aroma with many levels, but the ethanol detracts and distracts. Transparent dark amber body with no head. Viscous, with good legging. Starts almost astringent, fruity, and rather sweet. Some oxidation follows and sherry flavors come through in the middle. Finishes a bit acetic and heavily ethanolic. I’d prefer a nice single malt scotch over this.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Odysseyalien (45) - New Jersey, USA - MAR 9, 2013
Was treated to a sample today at Three Bling Monks in Garfield, NJ. In a single word ... "delicious"...and thanks to Brian for the sample. I would say though that to call this a beer is almost a misnomer as the taste is really more like a liquor or brandy. Tasty for sure, but difficult to call it a beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
rjulian24 (18) - USA - OCT 4, 2006
I tasted this at the 2006 GABF at the Saturday connoisseurs session. The best example of why moderation is the key to success. The beer is well made and interesting, but really it tastes like what it is - an attempt to get oneself in the Guiness book of world records. The alcohol smell is overwhelming as is the rich scotch nose and carmel nose. Surprisingly the beer is not that hot for as large as it is. But that really is not enough to save the beer. The flavor mimmicks the aroma. I ended up giving most of my sample to a friend that did enjoy the beer. Back this thing down about 40% and it would probably rank pretty high in my mind. Ohwell at least it is interesting.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
thewolf (11259) - Kolding, DENMARK - JAN 19, 2008
Bottle. [thank you, Yespr]
[Vintage 2003]
Pours a light hazy red-brown with a little bit of bubbles along the rim of my glass. Aroma is extremely alcoholic, some port and wood. The alcochol leaves wonderful lace curtains on my glass. Oily mouthfeel with an extreme alcohol burn. Rather sweet, lots of dried fruit (primarily figs). Light caramel, port and wood. Far too powerful for me, but it is impressive, though.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
brownaler (378) - Topsail Beach, North Carolina, USA - MAR 28, 2004
This is not beer, it is liquor. It has a way too thick maple texture with bourbon notes.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Shadrach (176) - Brooklyn, New York, USA - APR 5, 2004
Ambrosia, nectar of the gods, as advertising and sam adams would have you believe. Coloring is a deep rich reddish amber. The aroma is VERY strong, akin to a cough syrup or some of that blue moon moonshine. The aroma has been known to kill a man at twenty paces. Amazingly strong alcohol content just from the smell. The taste is like a very strong fiery brandy. WOW, as it blazes a fiery trail down my breastbone to my stomach. More of a strong liquor than a beer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
presario (4709) - Stampede City, Alberta, CANADA - JUL 14, 2005
2005 vintage at the Freakin’ Frog. $20 for one ounce. This beer presents a real dilemma for me to rate. It does not taste like any beer I have had. The alcohol is overpowering to say nothing of the maple syrup. What do you compare it to? Certainly not a SN Bigfoot. Dark oily liquid. Very strong cognac-like aroma. Swirl it and the liquid hangs on to the glass like a liquor. Flat and still. 50 proof maple syrup! Very thick on the tongue. NOT a patio beer or an everyday beer. Too high alcohol content and flavour for me.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
SuIIy (1983) - Burlington, Vermont, USA - MAY 25, 2006
Sampled at CBC anniversary party. Pours a redish/pink/bronze color with a small fizzy white head. head receedes leaving nothing. Nose is brandy and alcohol, hints of sweet malt scattered. Palate is medium with a alcohol warming in the finish. Flavor is mostly brandiesque with some hints of sweet malt and sugar here and there.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
waolsen (1360) - Littleton, Colorado, USA - OCT 5, 2006
GABF. What a treat. brown pour with great clarity and absolutely no head. oak, sugar maple, smoky aroma. huge maple sugar candy. brown sugar, maple and oak finish. I could feel this in my eyeballs? A definite treat and really don’t know how to rate this as I’ve never had anything close.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
SDalkoholic (2179) - Linda Vista, California, USA - DEC 27, 2007
Bottle from South Bay Liquor and Drugs. I had been on the look out for this beer by Sam Adams for a couple years now, so I was really happy to finally get my hands on a bottle. The amount I poured for myself was only the size of a shot glass since the aroma was so strong in alcohol and I knew before hand the ABV level. The nose is so similar to hard liquor such as whiskey, scotch or rum that I didn’t have that much pleasure taking sniffs of it. Anyway, I detected scents of sugar, maple syrup, and soy sauce almost to the same effect the triple bock had played on me. Upon my initial first sip I honestly admit I winced and told myself this is was not beer. The aftertaste was of sweet sugary malts that were undeniable that this truly was a beer and I should give it another sip. The flavor is so sweet that it completely overwhelms all signs of other flavor. Although, I do get the hint of the slightest touch saltiness and bitterness in the faint background. An easy way to describe this beer is maple syrup raised to another degree of intensity, but also this beer is very similar to a whiskey—I just had to say it again. To strong for my blood and that’s why I’m pouring shot glasses for close friends for them to try despite the price tag.