overall

RATINGS: 2625   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.19/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 168   ABV: 5.6%
Bold and rich, with a touch of holiday spice. The first thing one notices about a Samuel Adams® Winter Lager is the deep ruby color. Then comes the magical aroma which promises something special on the tongue. The cinnamon, ginger, and hint of citrus from the orange peel blend with the roasty sweetness of the malts to deliver a warming, spicy flavor. On the palate Samuel Adams Winter Lager is rich and full bodied, robust and warming, a wonderful way to enjoy the cold evenings that come with the season.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
mjg74 (2951) - La Mesa, California, USA - OCT 31, 2004
Pours a dark amber color. Aroma smells sweet and malty. Not alot of depth. Seems to be malty with a little bit of spice. Easy to drink, but not exciting.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
wildchefbill (245) - Sarasota, Florida, USA - OCT 30, 2004
Pours amber brown with a nice head. Aroma is caramel with a little spice. Nice flavor. Slightly sweet with nice spice and good toffee. Could not taste wheat. Thin body. Not what I expect from a Weizen Bock, but I still enjoyed it.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
MrHoppsworth (47) - USA - OCT 29, 2004
This was OK,but I was expecting a more robust flavor.I sampled a 2003 version in june,and my memory was that it was fairly robust,but I only tried a half a bottle so I could be mistaken. Orange/red when held to a light.Very malty,and spicey. I just tried the Goose island Christmas Ale before this,and that was really good stuff.The winter lager was a letdown.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
CBCPaleAle (73) - Ohio, USA - OCT 27, 2004
Dark amber color. Tastes like the lager with a hint of spice. Wouldn’t go out of my way for it.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
pjk33 (390) - Sligo - Curllsville Heights, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 26, 2004
Bottle. Pours a nice deep brown and holds a nice creamy head. Aroma of spices and nice malt, even some straw in here. Great malty spicy taste. Sam Adams really does make some good stuff. Nice body and good carb with a wonderful warmth on the swallow. I can’t tell you how many of these we have enjoyed while playing pond hockey here in Western PA. Good solid beer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Cornfield (5570) - Oak Forest, Illinois, USA - OCT 22, 2004
One of the better Sam Adams brews. Pours a deep reddish brown color with a creamy, frothy head. The aroma is of sweet malts and spices. Nice spricy brew with a hint of smoke. A decent winter warmer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
IndianaRed (3556) - Boise, Idaho, USA - OCT 20, 2004
Bottle Pours a deep mahogany with a very full and thick creamy head. lots of heavy lacing. Aroma is a dark and somewhat spicy blend with sewwt malt and maybe a little molassas. Flavor is dark and woody. Toasted wheat and a slight spicy notes. A nice warming flavor that is consistant with the winter seasonals. Finish is clean and smooth, with a sort of sweet wheat aftertaste.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
PetetheMeat (621) - Hove, DENMARK - OCT 20, 2004
Ruby red, beige head. Sweetish complex aroma and flavour. Red fruits. Cinnamon? Some kind of underlying sourness. Overall pretty average stuff, sorry folks.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
WileCoyote (9) - Libertyville, Illinois, USA - OCT 18, 2004 does not count
A very nice session beer for winter. I’ve tasted this beer every year, but have not yet tasted it for 2004. I did note on Sam Adams website that the abv has been brought down to 5.8%. I hope that this will not lighten up on its flavor this year. I will just have to wait and see. For the best tasting weizenbocks, I would strongly suggest Schneider Aventinus or the Victory Moonglow.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
yayforbeer (753) - Orange Park, Florida, USA - OCT 17, 2004
UPDATED: DEC 8, 2004 One of a sampler pack that had been aged about 4 years. Complex flavor enhanced by aging. ...... 12/8/2004 rerate. I got a fresh Holiday Classics sampler 12-pack at the local bottle shop and had a second go at this with a lot less to cheer about than the first time. Evidently the aging made all the difference. Nowhere near as pleasant or interesting fresh. Now I’m remembering why I dont care for bocks. The bottle shop now has 6-packs of this, but I’m not buying.