overall

RATINGS: 2625   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.19/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 168   ABV: 5.6%
Bold and rich, with a touch of holiday spice. The first thing one notices about a Samuel Adams® Winter Lager is the deep ruby color. Then comes the magical aroma which promises something special on the tongue. The cinnamon, ginger, and hint of citrus from the orange peel blend with the roasty sweetness of the malts to deliver a warming, spicy flavor. On the palate Samuel Adams Winter Lager is rich and full bodied, robust and warming, a wonderful way to enjoy the cold evenings that come with the season.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
BigBastard (668) - L.A., California, USA - FEB 19, 2004
Nice spice aroma, which came through in the flavor. Sweet malt and warming alcohol came through as well, and made it overall a nice winter beer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Jayb0 (1154) - Cherry Hill, New Jersey, USA - FEB 17, 2004
UPDATED: MAR 13, 2011 03/11: I can only assume that SA has made some significant tweaks to this beer over the years. I had originally given this one of my lowest all time ratings. But this winter I received some 12oz bottles as a gift, and I have to say, I’ve quite enjoyed them. Giving credit where credit is due, the beer is much richer, well balanced, with hints of seasonal spice, orange, coriander - and not in any way overdone. Also, a warm hue and decent head and lacing. 03/04: I usually think the SA products, especially the Boston Lager, get bashed a bit unfairly but this beer deserves any beating it gets. Not a bad looking beer but the aroma of dirty laundry, the thin mouthfeel and the generally unbalanced flavors left me very disappointed.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
surfmurf (85) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 16, 2004
This didn't stand out as anything special. It wasn't bad except it was terribly overpriced and nothing to write home about. Tasted like the regular lager. Just okay.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
imdownthepub (12917) - Banbury, Oxfordshire, ENGLAND - FEB 16, 2004
Bottled, pasteurised. Red brown beer with carbonated head. Preferable to the SA Lager if only that there is some flavour coming through. Still another American beer that is too similar to cola, thin sweet short and glutinous, but there is an attempt to get the malted wheat through the mess. Good alcohol though.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
SlimJimDrinker (115) - Nørrebronx, DENMARK - FEB 13, 2004
Sweet fruit and a little spice is what pops to mind... Not to impressive when it comes the aftertaste

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
Hildigöltur (5105) - København, DENMARK - FEB 12, 2004
Dark amber coloured. Sweet and slightly spicy. Rather thin body. Short lasting aftertaste.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
TheBeerCollector (633) - Woodstock, Georgia, USA - FEB 7, 2004
This was my favorite from the Winter sampler. Nice, clean and refreshing with a well balanced flavor and aroma.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
stranger34 (8) - USA - FEB 6, 2004 does not count
Fantastic beer. I hate the Boston Lager so i wasn't expecting much here, but I found this beer to be fantastic. I won't drink much of this, but i'll look forward to buying a case every December.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
GiddyBoy (121) - USA - FEB 4, 2004
This is a good winter brew. I prefer the dark, heavier brews that they put out when the weather gets cold. This is agood one, although it had a bit of a metallic aftertaste. I would drink it again, for sure.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
hershiser2 (1909) - Charlottesville, Virginia, USA - FEB 2, 2004
Auburn/red/orange beer with a thick (and long lasting) head. This beer has a nice appearance, but lacks a taste I'm looking forward to having. This isn't a bad beer, but I wouldn't say it's good either. But it's not average, because it's got a unique flavor. I can't see myself being tempted to buy another 6-pack of this.