overall

RATINGS: 2468   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.19   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 168   ABV: 5.6%
Bold and rich, with a touch of holiday spice. The first thing one notices about a Samuel Adamsģ Winter Lager is the deep ruby color. Then comes the magical aroma which promises something special on the tongue. The cinnamon, ginger, and hint of citrus from the orange peel blend with the roasty sweetness of the malts to deliver a warming, spicy flavor. On the palate Samuel Adams Winter Lager is rich and full bodied, robust and warming, a wonderful way to enjoy the cold evenings that come with the season.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
cckevin (38) - Terre Haute, Indiana, USA - AUG 16, 2002
I like the Oktoberfest offering from Sam Adams better, but this isnít too bad either. Do I taste nutmeg in there? Nice color, and good cling from the head.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
blank (996) - Austin, Texas, USA - JUL 25, 2002
What can I say, iím a winter guy and this is a decent winter beer. You canít expect THAT much from SAM but solid none the less...

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 9/20
tomseaman (35) - Alpine, California, USA - JUL 24, 2002
UPDATED: FEB 25, 2003 Best American Double Bock made.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
papajohn (1248) - San Diego (Mira Mesa), California, USA - JUL 13, 2002
UPDATED: SEP 17, 2009 7/13/02 : Kinda strong, kinda spicy, kinda good. 2/23/05: Redish amber color with a small beige head. Aroma is burnt caramel. Flavor is malty caramel with a hint of spice, lightly bitter and finishing fairly dry. A decent winter brew.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
ClarkVV (3860) - Allston, Massachusetts, USA - JUL 9, 2002
UPDATED: NOV 10, 2004 Youíre not a weizenbock!!! Yes I am!! Come on!!!!!!???? Seriously, I am!!!! No! I am, Really!!! No youíre not!!! Come on, please?? No, youíre not a weizenbock!!! YES I AM!! NO YOUíRE NOT!!! IíM A WEIZENBOCK DAMN IT!!! Come on!!! Get Serious!!! I AM!!!! NO YOU"RE NOT!!!!!! YES I AM !!!! NOOOOO!!!! YES!!!!!!!! NO.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Rib Eye (147) - USA - JUL 9, 2002
UPDATED: DEC 4, 2008 A very decent brew from Mr. Koch and company. A bit fizzy and filling for me but interesting malt in the mouth/hops in the medium-long finish contrast. Seems to be a carefully-crafted flavor.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
labattblueleaf (225) - Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA - JUN 28, 2002
Good winter beer. Not over-spiced where it becomes too bitter. Very clean tasting. I canít believe it, but I finally found a Winter beer I like.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
SiddFinch (155) - Pen Argyl, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 18, 2002
This seemed different (better) this year than I remember in the past. I had this back to back with a Boston Ale (both from their sampler case) and they had a lot of similar characteristics. This was one of the best beers I had over the past winter.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
JohnDo2000 (99) - Metairie, Louisiana, USA - MAY 31, 2002
Good aftertaste with a decent aroma. My favorite of the Sam Adams line aside from the Boston Lager. Unfortunately the only way that it is available in my area is by purchasing the variety twelve pack with a bunch of other beers I donít like. Iíd purchase this by itself though. Give it a shot...pretty decent.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
fraternie (806) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - MAY 21, 2002
UPDATED: NOV 23, 2003 Dark and warming, slightly burnt caramel flavor. Notes of cinnamon, honey, nutmeg. One of the best beers this brewery makes, full bodied.