overall

RATINGS: 2579   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.19   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 168   ABV: 5.6%
Bold and rich, with a touch of holiday spice. The first thing one notices about a Samuel Adams® Winter Lager is the deep ruby color. Then comes the magical aroma which promises something special on the tongue. The cinnamon, ginger, and hint of citrus from the orange peel blend with the roasty sweetness of the malts to deliver a warming, spicy flavor. On the palate Samuel Adams Winter Lager is rich and full bodied, robust and warming, a wonderful way to enjoy the cold evenings that come with the season.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
baobubba (455) - Starkville, Mississippi, USA - NOV 19, 2002
Quickly disappearing head. Dark amber color. Malty (caramel) aroma with a twang of hops. Sweet start bitter aftertaste, notes of licorice, roasted malt and alcohol. Nutmeg (or whatever the holiday spice is (need to learn my damn spices)) really starts to come out as beer warms. Decent stuff

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Rockinout (966) - Kent, Ohio, USA - NOV 18, 2002
Red copper color, spicy malty taste, finish lingers.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
madsberg (10787) - Søborg, DENMARK - NOV 18, 2002
Colour is amber/cobber. Decent head. Aroma is caramel and some other sweet spices. Flavour is well balanced. NOtes of caramel/chocolate, slightly alcaholic and a very good bitterness in the end. I like this beer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
UnionMade (621) - Connecticut, USA - NOV 17, 2002
I don’t really care for this beer. It’s supposedly a weizenbock, but it tastes more like a dunkel lager. Nothing in it really appeals to me.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
RaginCajun (320) - Houston, Texas, USA - NOV 16, 2002
UPDATED: JAN 28, 2003 Reddish amber color with a short lasting head. Not much aroma to speak of, but smells good nonetheless. I was pleasantly suprised by the taste; fairly simple but enjoyable. Also, 7% ABV, woohoo!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
mribm (458) - Ocala, Florida, USA - NOV 16, 2002
This dark ruby colored beer poured with a small head which quickly dissipated and left no lacing. It had a very nice malt nose and taste. I think this beer could have used an additional 1 or 2 percent alcohol. It would have warmed me better. I also didn’t taste any spices in it. Overall it was a good winter beer, which I will buy again.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Turtboy (120) - Lucasville, Ohio, USA - NOV 15, 2002
This is truly a great beer. Sadly it only appears a couple months of the year. Anybody who doesn’t rate this above average doesn’t no what beer is!!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Gusler (2653) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - NOV 12, 2002
UPDATED: DEC 11, 2003 Release 2003

The color as it comes fresh from the bottle a pellucid burnished copper with a mastodonic head that is frothy in texture and the color light tan with a thick sealing sheet of lace. Nose is sweet malt, fresh and pleasing to the senses with the start lightly sweet and decently malted, top is fair to middling in feel. Finish is modestly carbonated, the hops relatively unobtrusive in their spiciness, quite dry aftertaste, another of those benign beers that are just plain good to drink when you’re not in the mood for a “Bad Boy” beer. I’ve always found Samuel Adams beers to be quite drinkable and always a good session beer.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
hotbod47 (26) - flint, Michigan, USA - NOV 8, 2002
this is a very unique beer. it has a great mouthfeel. there is a sweetness followed by a nice hoppy finish. this might sound weird but it gave me a warm feeling after i drank two or three. good beer for a cold fall/winter night

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
HighGravity (926) - Baltimore, Maryland, USA - NOV 8, 2002
(Best by 3/03) When I look at this beer, I think to myself that this beer is one very classy looking glass of beer, all the right stuff. However, once I taste it I am brought back down to earth. The nose is sweet and spicy with a touch of malt and the palate is a bit rough, over spiced and pasteurized. The finish nauseates me; I do not think that I could finish an entire pint, too sweet and spicy. What’s with a bottom fermented weizenbock anyways?