overall

RATINGS: 2627   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.19/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 168   ABV: 5.6%
Bold and rich, with a touch of holiday spice. The first thing one notices about a Samuel Adamsģ Winter Lager is the deep ruby color. Then comes the magical aroma which promises something special on the tongue. The cinnamon, ginger, and hint of citrus from the orange peel blend with the roasty sweetness of the malts to deliver a warming, spicy flavor. On the palate Samuel Adams Winter Lager is rich and full bodied, robust and warming, a wonderful way to enjoy the cold evenings that come with the season.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
OldJack99 (114) - USA - DEC 1, 2002
Good beer

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
Sturgess (173) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 1, 2002
Itís another dark beer from Sam Adams....a very wheaty taste to it, but itís good to warm you up in the wintertime.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
NeonLX (261) - Wisconsin, USA - DEC 1, 2002
UPDATED: SEP 18, 2003 My beer drinking neighbor handed me one of these over the fence last Saturday, telling me it was his very favorite beer. I have to admit that I can see why he would say this--very nice beer in all respects. It looks gorgeous and tastes marvelous. It also has a nice 'mouth feel', very smooth and perfectly carbonated. This is the first beer from Samuel Adams I've ever tried. I considered them to be almost a 'macro' brewery so I was hesitant to actually drink any of their brews. Hate to say it, but my closed-mindedness would have kept me from a very good beer if my neighbor hadn't given me a bottle.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
BeerLimey (2154) - California, USA - NOV 29, 2002
UPDATED: NOV 28, 2004 Dark amber in color, decent head formation. Aroma is malty, fruity, caramel with some graininess. Good malt sweetness on the palate, verging towards dark fruits. Restrained well by some grainy dryness, high alcohol and bitterness in the finish.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Vac (2445) - San Diego, California, USA - NOV 28, 2002
Deep red color topped with a thick foamy head leaving plenty of lace. Sweet mostly hopy aroma wit malty notes and a slight bitterness. Slightly sweet yet sour flavor. Slightly hoppy turning malty with a hint of chocolate. Medium to heavy bodied.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Prostman (1077) - Pennsylvania, USA - NOV 27, 2002
Not too bad......but not my top pick for winter seasonals.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
jazz88 (2660) - San Francisco, California, USA - NOV 27, 2002
Tap. Dark amber color with a fair head. How could they ruin a style I like. Rather weak and not flavorful.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
pastout (27) - Windber, Pennsylvania, USA - NOV 27, 2002
Nice color with a fair head retention. Decent taste but without the spices that I expected. This is only my second winter beer so I wasnít sure what I was to get.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
jsquire (4115) - St. Marys, Ohio, USA - NOV 26, 2002
Nice copper color with foamy beige head and a sweet malty/grainy head. Very light mouthfeel. Maybe its because Iím feel a cold coming on, but I didnít taste much of anything. Kind of sweet with some spices in there. Nothing bad, but not much remarkable either.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 7/20
Ernest (7282) - Boulder, Colorado, USA - NOV 26, 2002
Head is initially average sized, frothy, off-white, mostly lasting. Body is clear dark amber. Aroma is lightly malty (toasted grain, caramel), lightly hoppy (flowers), lightly yeasty (dough). Flavor is moderately sweet, lightly acidic, lightly bitter. Finish is lightly sweet, lightly acidic, moderately bitter, unclean. Medium body, creamy texture, lively carbonation. The usual foul Sam Adams aftertaste and a light simple aroma...micro for the masses. Absolutely ridiculous that this is referred to as a weizenbock.