RATINGS: 2590   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.19/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 168   ABV: 5.6%
Bold and rich, with a touch of holiday spice. The first thing one notices about a Samuel Adams® Winter Lager is the deep ruby color. Then comes the magical aroma which promises something special on the tongue. The cinnamon, ginger, and hint of citrus from the orange peel blend with the roasty sweetness of the malts to deliver a warming, spicy flavor. On the palate Samuel Adams Winter Lager is rich and full bodied, robust and warming, a wonderful way to enjoy the cold evenings that come with the season.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
JohnDo2000 (99) - Metairie, Louisiana, USA - MAY 31, 2002
Good aftertaste with a decent aroma. My favorite of the Sam Adams line aside from the Boston Lager. Unfortunately the only way that it is available in my area is by purchasing the variety twelve pack with a bunch of other beers I don’t like. I’d purchase this by itself though. Give it a shot...pretty decent.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
fraternie (947) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - MAY 21, 2002
UPDATED: NOV 23, 2003 Dark and warming, slightly burnt caramel flavor. Notes of cinnamon, honey, nutmeg. One of the best beers this brewery makes, full bodied.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
hennes (934) - Fountain, Michigan, USA - MAY 18, 2002
It’s very cold on this May day in Northern Michigan, to the point that the thought of this beer sounded good. But. Alternating busy, garish tones of vanilla, licorice and spices in a muddied, sweetish malty body. Nothing much to suggest that it is a wheat beer; unlike Moonglow or Aventinus this one just seems like a spiced, artifice driven bock.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
cathcacr (644) - Oregon, USA - MAY 16, 2002
Yummy. I had some of this over the holidays, and I’d definitely come back to it. But like the name suggests, not something I’d have a lot year ’round. But nice and spicy.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
MaxPower (961) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - MAY 15, 2002
UPDATED: JAN 24, 2003 Pours a clear deep amber-copper color, small creamy off white head, malty spicy orange-cinnamon aroma, clean malty spicy flavors, nice lasting finish, great warming alcohol feel, medium-full body heavy but soft mouthfeel, very balanced, my favorite brew from Samuel Adams.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
dirtymike (2016) - Manchester, New Hampshire, USA - MAY 12, 2002
Good wheat bock,spicy notes,malty,fruity and crisp.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
adamburb99 (10) - waterville, New York, USA - MAY 1, 2002
Nice, tasty beer for a relaxing winter day. good dark beer. i enjoyed it

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
MaDoG99 (20) - Orlando, Florida, USA - APR 30, 2002

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
duece (103) - Waterford, Wisconsin, USA - APR 23, 2002
Nice color but pretty clear when considering the strong wheat and rye aroma. Strong wheat and hop flavor is pleasent but stays too long.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
IslandHaole (1157) - Mililani, Hawaii, USA - MAR 26, 2002
UPDATED: FEB 25, 2003 Re-rate: As my tastes change, I realize that this isn't the gem I thought it was. Now I prefer the hoppiness of the Boston Lager over this beer. I'm sure my tastes will change again someday. Original rate: Thick head with fine bubbles, stays around for a bit too. Nice dark red color, redder than George Killians 'Red'. (I did a side by side taste). Aroma of wheat, malts, alcohol....like woodshop in school. Taste of flowers/pine/Cardamon....a poutpouri of flavors. Not as thick as I expected but very tasty. Much better than the 'flagship' lager of S.A.