overall
Brewed by Samuel Smith
Style: Imperial Stout
Tadcaster, England

RATINGS: 2415   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.87   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
Available filtered and pasteurised in clear glass bottles.
Rich, flavorful, deep chocolate color, scented and roasted barley nose. Complexity of malt, hops, alcohol and yeast.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
grant (842) - Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA - DEC 20, 2002
Salty, malty, and smoky. Frankly, I was a little disappointed in this beer given the high ratings. It is even a little sour at times (for no apparent reason, given the style), trying me a bit. This is very unique though. Once Iíve explored the imperial stout world a little more I may add additional comments.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
cb (810) - Roeland Park, Kansas, USA - DEC 20, 2002
#100!! Wonderful! Definitely a deep, bitter chocolate aroma that does not disappoint the taste buds. Incredibly full-bodied and flavorful. Reaches close to perfection...

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
khayman70 (154) - Indianapolis, Indiana, USA - DEC 18, 2002
Very nice chocolate start and wonderful bitter finish. I canít get enough of this.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
BŁckDich (5464) - McCall, Idaho, USA - DEC 17, 2002
Dark and rich. A pinnacle of imperial stouts. Not as think and strong as the style dictates, but they pull this beer off very well. Chocolate and roasted coffee with a sweet and slightly bitter aftertaste. Great beer. One of my top 10.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
vtmobile (42) - Alabama, USA - DEC 16, 2002
Not a Guineess. Dark with little head. Nutty aroma with coffee and burnt caramel. Lovely bloom predominantly coffee, chocolate and toffee. Easy to drink, not as syrupy as some Stouts. this is a good, good beer and a great way to start with Stouts.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
proc (342) - Dearborn, Michigan, USA - DEC 14, 2002
I canít believe I havenít reviewed this one yet. Pours out to a dark, yet not completely black color in the glass. Aroma is that of caramel and malt. The taste is where this beer really shines. Molasses, toffee, coffee, caramel and plums are present. The 7% ABV is hidden well with little alcohol presence. The swallow is very good and invites you to drink it again. Not as complex as Bellís Expedition, but a wonderful beer in its own right.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Fulkrum78 (175) - Knoxville, Tennessee, USA - DEC 10, 2002
Good beer. Unfortunately, a friend of mine spoiled me with an award winning batch of homebrew. Samís is great, but my friends is just better.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
RaginCajun (319) - Houston, Texas, USA - DEC 7, 2002
I was expecting a lot more from the beer, so I was a little disappointed. Nevertheless, it is still a good beer in my mind. There was a wierd taste is this, maybe I got a bad batch or maybe I just donít like imperials.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
GermanBrews76 (678) - Richmond, Virginia, USA - DEC 6, 2002
I really made the mistake of drinking this too cold. By the end of the glass my view had changed drastically. Very dense head, tons of tiny bubbles. Bitter chocolate notes mingle with roasted barley. Whereís the alcohol though?? This is an imperial right? How are those Russian Czars going to stay warm on this stuff? Near the bottom I found rich toffee all over. Kind of like a liquid heath bar. I have a hunch this one wil be the subject of a re-rate next time I pick it up. Iíll make sure to warm it properly so I can appreciate the complexity behind this brew that I nearly missed on this swing at the plate.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Nuffield (3637) - Roseville, Minnesota, USA - DEC 4, 2002
I poured it aggressively and found a beautiful cascade effect. Very dark, but not unfathomably deep--tinges of ruby red around the edges. Keeps a thin head for a long time. Initial aroma was gorgeous--suggestive of port wine, with plum and chocalate. As it warms, the aroma mellows into more rounded roasted and chocolate notes, with some hints of fruitiness still there. First tastes are sweet, with decent bitterness and a hint of astringency in the back of the palate. Adequately carbonated, although a little thin in character, yet not watery: oily, slippery. Halfway through I licked an couple of envelopes (the bills have to get paid) and the flavor didnít go well at all; I wouldnít recommend trying that combination. Warms very well. For some reason I found myself drinking this very fast--extremely quaffable, perhaps because the flavors are not overwhelming and the sweetness makes it oh so tasty.