overall
Brewed by Samuel Smith
Style: Imperial Stout
Tadcaster, England

RATINGS: 2601   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.86   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
Available filtered and pasteurised in clear glass bottles.
Rich, flavorful, deep chocolate color, scented and roasted barley nose. Complexity of malt, hops, alcohol and yeast.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
flutetokill (523) - Fresno, California, USA - JAN 12, 2004
Opaque black color with a nice brown head. Very nice bacon and maple syrup aroma. Very rich smokey sweet flavors of roasted malt, coffee and chocolate. Very enjoyable!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
ukoolaid (576) - Amherst, Massachusetts, USA - JAN 10, 2004
UPDATED: APR 16, 2004 Bottle. So black. No light has a chance of making it through this beer. Burnt coffee chocolate aroma. Sweet flavor with roasted malts, espresso, and chocolate. Very nice.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Terminus (3329) - Las Cruces, New Mexico, USA - JAN 8, 2004
pours very dark brown, almost black with large carbonation. nice beige head that laced as it left. lots of smoked chocolate and tobacco in the aroma. super sweet, but astringent on the tongue. somewhat salty finish. ok, but again, i think its over-rated.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Gmku (295) - Iowa City, Iowa, USA - JAN 7, 2004
UPDATED: MAR 29, 2004 A little thinner than I expected. As another reveiw notes, I also find Sierra Nevada's stout somehow almost more imperial than this, and next to Rogue, this loses. But, I can't say this is a bad beer. It's very dark, smells sweetly malty, and has a balance taste of malts and hops. This could almost be a regular stout though. But what's in a name. It's a great stout and I'd still buy it again, if I didn't have this weird aversion to clear glass for beer bottles. Weird. But that's me, a little set in my beer-consuming ways. That's why I knocked off a point for appearance. The label's cool but I'd dig this more if it came in the standard brown bottle.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
wildchefbill (245) - Sarasota, Florida, USA - JAN 6, 2004
Pours black with no head. Aroma is strong and sweet. Dried fig, roasted malt and a little bitter chocolate. Flavor is similar. A very nice bitter roasted aftertaste, like burnt coffee (although this is a good thing). Slight alcohol in the finish helps balance it out. Very nice, but milder than I would expect from an Imperial.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Gromit (479) - Port Orchard, Washington, USA - JAN 6, 2004
Very cool label, but...a clear bottle? I had a skunked S.Smith's a while back (thankfully this wasn't) and swore I wouldn't have another of thiers from a clear bottle, but given the color of the beer I thought this was brown. Tradition is good, but com'mon and get some real bottles! Anyway... Pours a dark black with a long-lasting head that reminds me of hot cocoa, leaving a beautiful lace all the way down the glass. Smells of sweet malts and coffee with just a hint of hops. Very nice smell. Tastes, well, good, but I don't see this as an imperial stout. I find Rogue, Deschutes, *and* Sierra Nevada's stouts to be more "imperial" than this, and they're not imperial. Roasted malts predominate with a hint of hops, but there's nothing outstanding. I was expecting something more here. There's some buttery taste here as well. Still nothing exciting. Call this a regular stout and I'll give it much higher marks. Mouthfeel is good and full with a nice mineral feel to it. Drinkability is good as I could have several, but I'm not exactly craving another after this. Bottom line: A very good stout. As an imperial stout, I'm not that impressed.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
heemer77 (5159) - Urbandale, Iowa, USA - JAN 4, 2004
Lots of alcohol taste and smell. A little grape in the taste and aroma. Nice dark full body. Has a little smoky smell and a bitter finish. Overall, a solid stout.

rudolf (2342) - Buffalo, New York, USA - JAN 1, 2004
Very chocolately alcohol aroma. Thin head and pitch black in the glass. Nice chocolate and cherry flavor. Alcohol is noticable but fits well.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
beastdog75 (363) - Brick, New Jersey, USA - DEC 31, 2003
Slightly disappointed with the smell (skunked) and the lack of complexity. Deep roasted malts with just some hints of licorice and unsweetened chocolate. Long, lingering roatsed bitterness in the finish. A good stout nonetheless.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
pjk33 (390) - Sligo - Curllsville Heights, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 29, 2003
This is quite an enjoyable brew. The first aroma that I noticed was licorice and very subtle coffee, but the coffee taste was absent. Sweetness is actually very nice, not too sweet and sticky, which was my initial fear. I haven't had many imperial stouts at this point in my life, but I certainly like this one. Nicely carbonated with a nice long buzz on the tongue. Black as coal on the pour with a nice creamy head. Good body to this beer. Worthwhile for sure.