overall
Brewed by Samuel Smith
Style: Imperial Stout
Tadcaster, England

RATINGS: 2525   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.86   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
Available filtered and pasteurised in clear glass bottles.
Rich, flavorful, deep chocolate color, scented and roasted barley nose. Complexity of malt, hops, alcohol and yeast.

Wrath (362) - Valparaiso, Indiana, USA - MAY 5, 2003
UPDATED: JUL 2, 2003 Pours dark. Chocolate aroma with a hint of fruit. Good head that lasts. A fairly complex stout that is one of my favorites so far.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
Cobra (1100) - - MAY 4, 2003
Another Sam Smith's in those damn clear bottles. Why must the British ruin good beer by putting it in clear bottles? Everybody knows clear bottles lets beer skunk fast and furious. Anyway, this beer is decent enough IF you buy it from a sealed case. I made the mistake of buying my first 6 pack from the shelf, and man was it terrible! It was as skunked as any beer I've ever had. It tasted like cardboard, and smelled worse. I was going to give up on this beer, but I decided to buy a 6 pack from a sealed case instead. What a difference! Much better. Pours out a dark, deep brownish color, with a decent if short-lived head. Maltiness galore here. Not too bitter though. It's not exactly true to style, because of the lower alcohol content. I suppose it's a decent enough beer, but not one I would go out of my way to buy again.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
clvand0 (350) - Lexington, Kentucky, USA - MAY 2, 2003
This beer pours a very dark color with a dark medium head. The aroma is full of scents of alcohol as well as some chocolaty malts. The taste is of burned malts and licorice and the alcohol is not extremely well masked as well as very dry tasting. The dry and burned malt stick around in the aftertaste. This beer is fairly easy to drink for an imperial stout, but not being a fan of imperial stouts, I would not have more than one.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
LiebeBier (808) - Annapolis, Maryland, USA - MAY 1, 2003
Chocolate, caramel, and porty aroma. Great black color with tan head. Roasted malt, chocolate & Licorice flavors are very rich and full. Great beer though I do like a Oatmeal stout a tad better.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
caesar (5295) - Bunnik/Utrecht, NETHERLANDS - APR 28, 2003
UPDATED: DEC 26, 2006 Black color, small frothy off-white head. Aroma of burned malts, bread and licorice. Sweet burned taste, again the bread and the licorice.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
skortila (4602) - Baarn, NETHERLANDS - APR 28, 2003
I really like the aroma, strong, but smooth. Malty, bit sweet, burned. Apearrance is okay, not impressive. Black coloured; frothy and dying head. Taste is wuite burned, malty. Smooth taste, some fruits, who make it more interesting. Dry palate. Okay but perhaps a bit boring.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Spiesy (2338) - Sydney, Greater London, AUSTRALIA - APR 22, 2003
Dark alright but if you're very attentive I think you'll find a port colour hue around the edges. I found the stout very dry, flavoursome and long lasting on the palate. Solid beer bout I have to place it behind the Lion Stout just had before it.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Panzuriel (1347) - Westerville, Ohio, USA - APR 13, 2003
A very delicious beer. Dark with a great head. Nice full malts with a chocolate and fruit flavor. Good bitters finish out the flavor. A excellent beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
brian1233 (30) - North Augusta, South Carolina, USA - APR 13, 2003
Yummy. I thought their oatmeal stout was good. This could compete for my favorite imperial stout. Chocolate, lightly fruity, moderate bitterness. Alcohol is not too powerful, almost nonexistent in the flavor. I will drink this beer again.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
bac080 (398) - Bloomington, Illinois, USA - APR 11, 2003
Really good, but somewhat too bitter for my tastes.