overall
Brewed by Samuel Smith
Style: Imperial Stout
Tadcaster, England

RATINGS: 2511   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.86   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
Available filtered and pasteurised in clear glass bottles.
Rich, flavorful, deep chocolate color, scented and roasted barley nose. Complexity of malt, hops, alcohol and yeast.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Wiseblood (700) - Clarksville, Tennessee, USA - MAR 20, 2003
At first glance, it looks like an expresso. Wonderful creamy long lasting tan head. Aromas of chocolate and charred malt. Molasses and licorice flavors make a nice profile. Full bodied and somewhat sweet.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
JMerritt (1813) - Macomb, Illinois, USA - MAR 14, 2003
Jet black in color, light-coffee colored head. Head dropped rather quickly. Pleasant caramel, malt, and coffee aroma (detectable in that order). Flavor has hints of black licorice, mild hoppyness, coffee, and bittersweet chocolate. Rather dry finish. Most importantly: not skunked! (It's always a crapshoot when buying Samuel Smith brews because of the damn clear bottles. Guess I lucked out this time.) Velvety texture, very smooth. Nice.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
DYCSoccer17 (3328) - Woodland, California, USA - MAR 12, 2003
UPDATED: APR 3, 2004 Very good beer. I did not have any problems with skunkiness or anything else that others have commented on. The head of this beer is beautiful--looks like a capuccino head. Color is very dark. The taste is a classic stout with a more coffee flavor with a dark-chocolate flavor thrown in there. The beer isnt as thick as I imagined, which is good and bad. It makes me want to drink it too fast. The best thing about this beer is its long, creamy and pleasant finish. This is probably another reason why I drank it fast. The 7% is hidden amazingly. re-rate. Aroma is diminished than I remember. Finish is a little watery.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 4/20
HighGravity (926) - Baltimore, Maryland, USA - MAR 12, 2003
Pasteurization hit me right in the kisser, but that was followed by a phenolic (plastic) attack that was unbearable. Avoid this beer. Watch out for skunks too.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
uhorpheus (215) - houston, Texas, USA - MAR 11, 2003
Really good beer. Wonderful rich brown head, thick and meaty aroma with hints of coffee. Tasted a little strong, but still very drinkable. My only complaint is that it seemed a little thin, but that may have been because it was in the bottle and not on tap.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Silphium (3173) - East Lansing, Michigan, USA - MAR 11, 2003
A good stout, similar to their Oatmeal Stout but stronger. Nice aroma and a smooth, sweet flavor. Not the most complex Imperial, however. This one comes up short, IMO, of great Imperials like Bells Expedition or Victory Storm King.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
JK (4520) - St. Louis Park, Minnesota, USA - MAR 6, 2003
UPDATED: JUN 6, 2004 Aroma of soy sauce and port. Black with a brown head that lasted throughout the beer. Taste of coffee, bitter chocolate, port, soy sauce, and spice. Finish is short with bitter coffee. High ABV is not noticeable in the taste. A great beer, but I would prefer a brown bottle. After my sample of an aged bottle of one year, I had to lower my rating.

jbrus (4992) - Delft, NETHERLANDS - MAR 3, 2003
UPDATED: FEB 7, 2007 Re-rate: No description, just a remark. I had this a few times now and it still rocks. But not as it used to. Did the recipe change? Dit my palate change? Am I getting spoiled? Don’t know but I felt light downgrading the ratings a little. Bottled, 4.5: Nice chocolat aroma. Black color, brown almost creamy head, good lace. Smooth, strong chocolat, hint of coffee, well hopped, well balanced. Long lasting coffee finish with a little alcohol burn. Man! I might have to change my favorite style from Unblended Lambic to Imperial Stout. I love it!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
LarsHolmer (112) - Göteborg, SWEDEN - FEB 24, 2003
If I must pick 5 Stouts in the World this is one of them. Heavy on the O.G. makes it quite "stocky" full of burnt sugar and a dry finish makes this beer a complete meal.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20