overall
Brewed by Samuel Smith
Style: Imperial Stout
Tadcaster, England

RATINGS: 2497   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.86   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
Available filtered and pasteurised in clear glass bottles.
Rich, flavorful, deep chocolate color, scented and roasted barley nose. Complexity of malt, hops, alcohol and yeast.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
GermanBrews76 (678) - Richmond, Virginia, USA - DEC 6, 2002
I really made the mistake of drinking this too cold. By the end of the glass my view had changed drastically. Very dense head, tons of tiny bubbles. Bitter chocolate notes mingle with roasted barley. Where’s the alcohol though?? This is an imperial right? How are those Russian Czars going to stay warm on this stuff? Near the bottom I found rich toffee all over. Kind of like a liquid heath bar. I have a hunch this one wil be the subject of a re-rate next time I pick it up. I’ll make sure to warm it properly so I can appreciate the complexity behind this brew that I nearly missed on this swing at the plate.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Nuffield (3691) - Roseville, Minnesota, USA - DEC 4, 2002
I poured it aggressively and found a beautiful cascade effect. Very dark, but not unfathomably deep--tinges of ruby red around the edges. Keeps a thin head for a long time. Initial aroma was gorgeous--suggestive of port wine, with plum and chocalate. As it warms, the aroma mellows into more rounded roasted and chocolate notes, with some hints of fruitiness still there. First tastes are sweet, with decent bitterness and a hint of astringency in the back of the palate. Adequately carbonated, although a little thin in character, yet not watery: oily, slippery. Halfway through I licked an couple of envelopes (the bills have to get paid) and the flavor didn’t go well at all; I wouldn’t recommend trying that combination. Warms very well. For some reason I found myself drinking this very fast--extremely quaffable, perhaps because the flavors are not overwhelming and the sweetness makes it oh so tasty.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
hoorayforbeer (105) - Denton, Texas, USA - DEC 3, 2002
Dark with not much head. Typical stout smells and flavors with nothing standing out too much. This one’s solid, but the best by a mile.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 14/20
Beloved Beer (278) - California, USA - DEC 3, 2002
very dark color. a bit thin on the palate. I like bells and a few others more.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
iwantalambic (1478) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - DEC 1, 2002
A black hole that lets small amounts of deep purple seep out. Beautifully fresh aroma of nuts and fruits. Creamy nuts and chocolate fill the palate and linger. What an amazing brew!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
SpockTheater (49) - Louisiana, USA - NOV 29, 2002
Definately one of the best stouts I’ve tried. Creamy and with a really long lasting palate. Glad I found it.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
mixamatt (427) - San Francisco, California, USA - NOV 29, 2002
Sour creamy coffee aroma.To me this ale has the complexity of a stout and a fine chocolaty dopple bock.The finish is oaky mellow with a touch of mild hops.Another great beer Ive overlooked.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
gthank (73) - Atlanta, Georgia, USA - NOV 27, 2002
All I can say is wow. It loses a little bit for the alcohol in the nose, and the palate isn’t as rich as it could be, but I’m really searching for nits to pick. This is just a fantastic beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
YogiBeera (2475) - New Jersey, USA - NOV 25, 2002
Chocolate and coffee aroma. Black, brussels lace. Malt and coffee taste. Fullmouth, nice

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
pivo (2566) - GERMANY - NOV 25, 2002
Sour milk smells, dark black (+red) color, low leggy tan head. Chocolate and buttery tnes. Creamy mouth and a full body.