overall
Brewed by Samuel Smith
Style: Imperial Stout
Tadcaster, England

RATINGS: 2464   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.86   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
Available filtered and pasteurised in clear glass bottles.
Rich, flavorful, deep chocolate color, scented and roasted barley nose. Complexity of malt, hops, alcohol and yeast.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Mads Langtved (2245) - Copenhagen K, DENMARK - MAY 15, 2002
Dose’nt has what it takes to be a Stout like the Danish ones.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
IFearNoBeer (15) - Bloomfield, New Jersey, USA - MAY 14, 2002
Mama mia this is a big-a meat-a-ball! This is some serious beer. Looks like a liquid Darth Vader pouring into your glass, even the head is brown. A little too sweet for me but it’s great stuff for the money and will knock your socks off. This would KILL with a steak and onions, holy cow!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
dirtymike (2016) - Manchester, New Hampshire, USA - MAY 13, 2002
Thick and full,black on black,roasted,chocolate,fruitychanges with age,port/sherry notes.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Hildigöltur (5104) - København, DENMARK - MAY 11, 2002
UPDATED: MAY 4, 2004 This is a very good beer. Good complex aroma and fine taste.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
neilrichards (191) - Leicestershire, ENGLAND - MAY 7, 2002
It’s hard to know what to say about this one apart from that I love it! Its thick black colour makes it visually great. Its got loads of great flavours, all balanced perfectly. This is my 100th review, and dare I say it - possibly the best beer i’ve had yet!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
MaxPower (961) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - MAY 2, 2002
Thick heavy roasted malt flavor. Nice sweet taste.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
bluemeow76 (693) - Lewis Center, Ohio, USA - APR 30, 2002
Not as good as the oatmeal stout - but still a good thick beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
stoutosaurus (157) - Clinton, Mississippi, USA - APR 29, 2002
Rediculously good. Amazing flavor and a i wish i could paint my car this color. Instantly one of my favorites.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
Suttree (5013) - Knoxville, Tennessee, USA - APR 29, 2002
UPDATED: MAR 8, 2004 Drinkable velvet? Very smooth, great palate. I wish it didn't come in a clear bottle, though. Rerate, March 2004. I was surprised to find that A: Imperial Sout is my highest rated style, and B: This was my highest rated Imperial. So I drank one for the first time in a year or so and can say that it is a damn fine beer. Just not quite 4.7 fine, as I had originally rated it.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Dogbrick (7585) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - APR 29, 2002
UPDATED: JAN 30, 2003 Rerate 1/30/03: This is the Imperial Stout that opened my eyes to the world of Imperial Stouts, but I have had better ones since. 4/29/02 (4.7): Wow, just when I thought I had tried Samuel Smith's best beer, this beer comes into my life. At $2.25 a bottle I can't think of a better choice. Wonderfully rich aroma, roasted coffee and smooth chocolate flavor. Medium thick tan head and really nice lacing. This is a new favorite, I can't wait to try it again.