overall
Brewed by Samuel Smith
Style: Imperial Stout
Tadcaster, England

RATINGS: 2619   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.86   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
Available filtered and pasteurised in clear glass bottles.
Rich, flavorful, deep chocolate color, scented and roasted barley nose. Complexity of malt, hops, alcohol and yeast.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
HarmonKill-a-Brew (407) - Wilmar, Arkansas, USA - AUG 4, 2002
UPDATED: OCT 29, 2009 Great beer! Maybe the best aroma I have ever encountered... simular to soy sauce. My first imperial stout... to me it had qualities of both a stout and a dopplebock. Flavors of coffee, plums, and soy sauce. Best when allowed to warm up just a bit... let it set for 10 or 15 minutes after you take it out of the fridge to let maximum flavor come through. Kicks the crap out of their Oatmeal Stout. Satisfying.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
raindog (560) - Evansville, Indiana, USA - AUG 4, 2002
UPDATED: AUG 31, 2009 Huge,roasty,stoney,liquorice,and vinous,aromas. Tar-like appearance with huge,creamy,head. The flavor is as quality as aroma.Silky head clinging to glass.Some hop aromas too,and a slightly hoppy,dark fruit finish.Oily,silky palate.Chocolate burps with slight alcohol.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Volgon (2763) - Manchester, New Hampshire, USA - AUG 4, 2002
I can’t believe that I’ve never drank this before tonight. One of the boldest, more complex beers that I have had. Brown sugar, chocolate, coffee, and many more flavors will club you over the head. If you like budcoorsmiller you will hate this beer. If you love chewy dark complex beers, this one’s for you!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Racegoer (353) - Indiana, Indiana, USA - AUG 2, 2002
Robust and Dark, full of chocolate flavor, Makes me think of colder weather.Loads of flavor, a superb quality Stout. <<--Just waiting for the snowfall, 95 degrees here today, but I am thinking of colder times to come, Very Highly Recommended

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Murphy (1759) - Fort Collins, Colorado, USA - AUG 2, 2002
UPDATED: OCT 3, 2004 Full of taste and life. So many good things going on with this beer. Perfect amount of sweetness. Pretty brown head. Flavorfull to the last drop. I can only ask to get it in a bigger bottle!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
loweredsixth (946) - Clovis, California, USA - JUL 28, 2002
Completely black...no light shows through. Made a small dark tan head that lasted all the way down the glass. The aroma was full of roasted coffee beans, black licorice, and some bitterness. The taste delivered everything I expected. I drank the last half of this while eating yellow cake with chocolate frosting and some ice cream. The stout provided a perfect match for the food... it was great! My only criticism is that my bottle seemed to have too much carbonation in it. I guess I like my stouts to be flatter. Impressive beer from my favorite brewery.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
MadMan (495) - Tempe, Arizona, USA - JUL 28, 2002
Wow! This is great stuff. I must go get some more because I forgot to rate it when I was drinking it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Jake Barnes (456) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - JUL 27, 2002
Not my favorite of the imperial stouts but then again there’s some real tough competition in that group. A bit thin I think. Not bad though.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
joet (2385) - Santa Rosa, California, USA - JUL 25, 2002
UPDATED: MAY 15, 2008 An odd salty, plum, rotten fruit aroma. Doesn’t start to wake up until 58 degrees F or so. Milky, bitter chocolate, excellent creamy feel. I’m not getting big hops here. In fact the bitterness is not big at all. 35 IBUs? A nice zippy finish with a bit of toast.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
blank (996) - Austin, Texas, USA - JUL 25, 2002
like drinking the hops themselves, a little to heavy and strong for my taste