overall
Brewed by Samuel Smith
Style: Imperial Stout
Tadcaster, England

RATINGS: 2626   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.86   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
Available filtered and pasteurised in clear glass bottles.
Rich, flavorful, deep chocolate color, scented and roasted barley nose. Complexity of malt, hops, alcohol and yeast.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Racegoer (353) - Indiana, Indiana, USA - AUG 2, 2002
Robust and Dark, full of chocolate flavor, Makes me think of colder weather.Loads of flavor, a superb quality Stout. <<--Just waiting for the snowfall, 95 degrees here today, but I am thinking of colder times to come, Very Highly Recommended

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Murphy (1759) - Fort Collins, Colorado, USA - AUG 2, 2002
UPDATED: OCT 3, 2004 Full of taste and life. So many good things going on with this beer. Perfect amount of sweetness. Pretty brown head. Flavorfull to the last drop. I can only ask to get it in a bigger bottle!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
loweredsixth (946) - Clovis, California, USA - JUL 28, 2002
Completely black...no light shows through. Made a small dark tan head that lasted all the way down the glass. The aroma was full of roasted coffee beans, black licorice, and some bitterness. The taste delivered everything I expected. I drank the last half of this while eating yellow cake with chocolate frosting and some ice cream. The stout provided a perfect match for the food... it was great! My only criticism is that my bottle seemed to have too much carbonation in it. I guess I like my stouts to be flatter. Impressive beer from my favorite brewery.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
MadMan (495) - Tempe, Arizona, USA - JUL 28, 2002
Wow! This is great stuff. I must go get some more because I forgot to rate it when I was drinking it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Jake Barnes (456) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - JUL 27, 2002
Not my favorite of the imperial stouts but then again there’s some real tough competition in that group. A bit thin I think. Not bad though.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
joet (2408) - Santa Rosa, California, USA - JUL 25, 2002
UPDATED: MAY 15, 2008 An odd salty, plum, rotten fruit aroma. Doesn’t start to wake up until 58 degrees F or so. Milky, bitter chocolate, excellent creamy feel. I’m not getting big hops here. In fact the bitterness is not big at all. 35 IBUs? A nice zippy finish with a bit of toast.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
blank (996) - Austin, Texas, USA - JUL 25, 2002
like drinking the hops themselves, a little to heavy and strong for my taste

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
nstal (237) - Houston, Texas, USA - JUL 24, 2002
Very dark, very roasted. Wonderfully opaque. pretty yet subdued head.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Ernest (6748) - Boulder, Colorado, USA - JUL 23, 2002
UPDATED: APR 14, 2006 Head is initially average sized, frothy, brown, mostly lasting. Body is black (but not opaque). Aroma is moderately malty (chocolate, caramel, toasted nuts), with notes of prune, toffee, vanilla. Flavor is moderately sweet, lightly acidic, lightly bitter. Finish is lightly to moderately sweet, lightly acidic, lightly to moderately bitter. Medium body, creamy texture, soft carbonation, lightly alcoholic. Very easy-going and mild for an Imperial stout (one of the lowest ABV "Imperials", surely), but still pleasant.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Inveigler (371) - Ferndale, Michigan, USA - JUL 23, 2002
Sam Smith has one of the strongest entire lines of British beer, and their Imperial Stout is no different. Rich and buttery with slightly more carbonation than expected for an imperial. Strong roasted flavor and malt complexity. Conjures images of Russian troika’s exiting the palace on a mid-winter day.