overall
Tadcaster, England
Serve in English pint

RATINGS: 1614   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.38/5   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
Pasteurised bottles only.
"Samuel Smith's India Ale is characterized by the colour of a golden sunset, a refined maltiness and an emphasis on the aroma and flavour from Britain's best hop gardens."

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
heemer77 (5234) - Urbandale, Iowa, USA - FEB 27, 2004
This is the best IPA I have had yet. The style still has yet to win me over. A gorgeous light copper color. This was out of the bottle and had a small white head. Relatively light on the hops and slightly bready in the taste. This comes with a neat floral and peach scent.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
TheBeerCollector (633) - Woodstock, Georgia, USA - FEB 18, 2004
A wonderful IPA. I'm glad I chose this for my 300th rating. Smooth, hoppy, pleasantly bitter and well balanced. Nice golden color with a white, lasting head. I will definately buy this again.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
BeerSurfer (27) - Powell, Ohio, USA - FEB 16, 2004
(Bottle) Amber color. Tan, 1/4" thick head that lasts. Light lacing. Super aroma of malt and hops- sweet. Smooth but bitter flavor, pleasant aftertaste of caramel. Creamier, with less bite than I expected, but good mouthfeel. Very balanced overall.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
TChrome (1448) - Bedford, Texas, USA - FEB 14, 2004
Very nice looking ale pouring copper in color with a good egg white head with good retention. They start to lose me on the aroma. Some aroma of hops, but significant malt presence as well. Reminds me of the good marzens in aroma. Flavor comes through with some decent hop bitterness, nice bit of malt sweetness also. Not the mammoth hop assault I have come to expect from IPAs, however a nice well made ale, none the less.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
sphinx (11) - Eugene, Oregon, USA - FEB 9, 2004
I really couldn't smell the aroma, which is better than it having a horrible smell, so I gave it a 5. It is a dark strawberry blonde color, with a beige head that crusted over before it dissipated - but that may be because the pint glass was too cold. I am not sure what the difference is between an India Ale and an India Pale Ale, but this had an earthier, maltier taste than the IPAs I am used to. I like it. It paired nicely with my spinach pizza and I would drink it again. However, I would like to try another India Ale first, just to compare.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
freekyp (1830) - Thomasville, North Carolina, USA - FEB 3, 2004
Deep amber with slight bubbly head. Strong malty nose with floral overtones. Well-balanced with bready malt mixing well with fruity hoppiness. Bitterness is strong, but not overbearing. Finish is malty.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
hershiser2 (1790) - Charlottesville, Virginia, USA - FEB 1, 2004
Paid $8.99 for a 4-pack (12 oz bottles). Lighter amber, with little head. Not an IPAish smell. This smells more of sweet rum or something, but it's not very strong. A good taste... has a hint of grapefruit, but it's not strong... it's a bit on the thin side for what i look for in an IPA, but it is refreshing, nevertheless. Not the best offering from Samuel Smith's, and not that great of an IPA... but I'd be happy if someone offered me one of these.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
changxao (104) - South Carolina, USA - JAN 30, 2004
Hey what do you know, when you put beer in a dark bottle it tastes better than when its in a clear one. Amber color with a good head, great bitter flavor, my second favorite sammy beer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Wheatsheaf (104) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - JAN 30, 2004
Bottle. An orange ale with a light hop aroma. Some fruit and caramel flavors, but these are secondary to the hop character. Citrus and pine notes on top of a more typically English earthy dryness. A good, well-made beer, as you would expect from Samuel Smith, but not their best. I suspect that the hop character begins to fade after a few months. Fresher bottles sampled were a bit more robust, if I recall.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
jdog76 (85) - madison, Wisconsin, USA - JAN 29, 2004
I was expecting more hops from an IPA. It tasted more like a stout than an IPA. A little watery and had a weird taste after each drink. It did go down smooth but I'm sorry to say I didn't think it was as good as most of you.