overall
Tadcaster, England
Serve in English pint

RATINGS: 1437   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.38   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
Pasteurised bottles only.
"Samuel Smith's India Ale is characterized by the colour of a golden sunset, a refined maltiness and an emphasis on the aroma and flavour from Britain's best hop gardens."

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 9/20
Hugerat (452) - somerville, Massachusetts, USA - APR 12, 2002
This beer started off wonderful, with a beautiful waft of fruit and roasted malts the instant I opened the bottle. The flavor as well was quite pleasant, but something was missing... HOPS! Maybe I got an inferior batch, so I will make sure to try it again, but you can’t make an IPA without the distinctive hoppiness. Hopefully my re-rate will be as enthusiastic as some others because I really love this brewery.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
heykevin (1273) - Decorah, Iowa, USA - APR 8, 2002
What impresses most initally is the assertive malt profile which is present throughout. Oxidized hop flavor which in the past bothered me, is growing on me rapidly. It tastes great here. It is quite perfumey, in way I’d never experienced before. This is the best english IPA I’ve ever had and is a first class beer by any standard.

ultraspank (867) - Alverca, Lisboa, PORTUGAL - APR 6, 2002
This fine brew was my introduction to India Pale Ale. Sweet Jesus!! This brew is OUTSTANDING!!!! It pours a clear rusty orange. The large creamy bone colored head is fully lasting with excellent lacing. The perfect nose is balanced and complex with hay, molasses, caramel, flowers, herbs, orange, cheese, date, raisin, and spice. The rich complex flavor is ungodly good, easily the most balanced beer I have sampled to date. The long finish is biscuity with strong raisin and date tones. The palate is again perfect with a medium soft creamy body, and a clean finish. I could drink gallons of this. Curiously, this brew (which is easily the FRESHEST tasting Samuel Smith product I have sampled so far) was the only one that came in a BROWN BOTTLE!!! All the others came in a clear glass bottle...Coincidence? I think not. HELLO!! Is there anyone from the Tadcastle Brewery listening??

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
PSUJason99 (96) - Montclair, New Jersey, USA - MAR 30, 2002
I hate this crap..,what was i thinking!?

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
TAR (2410) - Lafayette, Colorado, USA - MAR 28, 2002
UPDATED: SEP 28, 2003 This beer has a very fruity aroma along with toasted malt and bread. Flavors of fruity malt make this so drinkable. Very crisp. It delivers rather nicely; of course it could have more hops…lots more! Well crafted and a beer that makes for a fine session of drinking. Fish tasting burps really dock this rating, however. I can always find this fresh at the neighborhood store...brown bottle to boot!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
spydog (75) - Chandler, Arizona, USA - MAR 21, 2002
Huge head on this beer. Floral aroma and initial taste. Body was lacking. Slight toasty finish. In general, I would go against popular sentiment and say that Samuel Smith’s beers are a bit overrated.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
Admiral (524) - Schnecksville, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 18, 2002
One of the hoppier-- and powerfully so-- English IPAs. This makes it an excellent peek at the original version, as the hop content of most English IPAs has diminished since the days of the Raj, and most American IPAs are infested with the decidedly non-English Cascade. Worth looking for.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 14/20
shorlin (588) - St. John’s, Newfoundland, CANADA - MAR 15, 2002
Nice looking beer, although a little light in colour. Super aroma, with nice floral hoppiness. The falvour doesn’t pay off though. It got a little better as it warmed up, or maybe that was just my impression after my senses were slightly loosened by the previous 525 mls. I would have liked it a little dryer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Flatline99 (36) - Durham, North Carolina, USA - MAR 14, 2002
I love Samuel Smith!!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
bbooth (115) - Gilbert, Arizona, USA - MAR 8, 2002
Amber color, Malty start with a slight bitter finish. Hop flavor and aroma are not very dominant. Seems to taste like most of the English IPAs I have had (nothing really stands out).