overall
Tadcaster, England
Serve in English pint

RATINGS: 1503   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.38   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
Pasteurised bottles only.
"Samuel Smith's India Ale is characterized by the colour of a golden sunset, a refined maltiness and an emphasis on the aroma and flavour from Britain's best hop gardens."

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
groovinhigh (170) - Asheville, North Carolina, USA - APR 22, 2002
This is what an English IPA should taste like. Hoppy, but unlike American IPA’s in that it doesn’t knock you over the head. My 1st choice in IPA’s.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
kmeves (1098) - Mount Pleasant, Wisconsin, USA - APR 21, 2002
UPDATED: AUG 3, 2006 My favorite English IPA. Strong hop caracter, frothy head, nice amber hue. Pleasant hoppy taste, nice finish.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
dlclark (73) - Bloomington, Illinois, USA - APR 17, 2002
Not much flavor for the price. Buy a few american ales instead of just one of these for the same price. If you’re looking for hops, look elsewhere.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Kaya161 (1128) - San Diego, California, USA - APR 15, 2002
Although not as assertively hopped as most IPAs this one is wonderfully smooth and balanced. The characteristic creaminess and vintage flavour of Samuel Smith combined with a pleasantly hoppy ale. Another great beer from Tadcaster!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
michael-pollack (4960) - King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 13, 2002

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Volgon (2763) - Manchester, New Hampshire, USA - APR 12, 2002
I like American IPA’s better. A good ale, but it is overpriced.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 9/20
Hugerat (452) - somerville, Massachusetts, USA - APR 12, 2002
This beer started off wonderful, with a beautiful waft of fruit and roasted malts the instant I opened the bottle. The flavor as well was quite pleasant, but something was missing... HOPS! Maybe I got an inferior batch, so I will make sure to try it again, but you can’t make an IPA without the distinctive hoppiness. Hopefully my re-rate will be as enthusiastic as some others because I really love this brewery.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
heykevin (1277) - Decorah, Iowa, USA - APR 8, 2002
What impresses most initally is the assertive malt profile which is present throughout. Oxidized hop flavor which in the past bothered me, is growing on me rapidly. It tastes great here. It is quite perfumey, in way I’d never experienced before. This is the best english IPA I’ve ever had and is a first class beer by any standard.

ultraspank (867) - Alverca, Lisboa, PORTUGAL - APR 6, 2002
This fine brew was my introduction to India Pale Ale. Sweet Jesus!! This brew is OUTSTANDING!!!! It pours a clear rusty orange. The large creamy bone colored head is fully lasting with excellent lacing. The perfect nose is balanced and complex with hay, molasses, caramel, flowers, herbs, orange, cheese, date, raisin, and spice. The rich complex flavor is ungodly good, easily the most balanced beer I have sampled to date. The long finish is biscuity with strong raisin and date tones. The palate is again perfect with a medium soft creamy body, and a clean finish. I could drink gallons of this. Curiously, this brew (which is easily the FRESHEST tasting Samuel Smith product I have sampled so far) was the only one that came in a BROWN BOTTLE!!! All the others came in a clear glass bottle...Coincidence? I think not. HELLO!! Is there anyone from the Tadcastle Brewery listening??

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
PSUJason99 (96) - Montclair, New Jersey, USA - MAR 30, 2002
I hate this crap..,what was i thinking!?