overall
Brewed by Samuel Smith
Style: Brown Ale
Tadcaster, England

RATINGS: 2029   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.5   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
Brewed at Samuel Smith’s small, traditional British brewery with well water (the original well sunk in 1758 is still in use), best barley malt, roasted barley, yeast and aromatic hops. Nut Brown Ale is relatively dry with a rich amber-brown colour and nutty flavour derived exclusively from small amounts of dark malt. Brown ales are a specialty of northern England. Fermented in ’stone Yorkshire squares’.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
vector (163) - Dallas, Texas, USA - JUL 3, 2003
My favorite nut brown. Has subtle sweet and tangy malt flavor like other Sam Smith products. Good nutty flavoring throught.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
ivan9856 (189) - Arlington, Virginia, USA - JUL 1, 2003
The nose has a definite caramel, malty aroma with just a hint of hops. A great looking ale, it pours dark amber or “nut brown”—as the label clearly declares—with a large foamy tan-colored head. The head rapidly vanished, and there was a little lacing. I found that this ale offers a balanced malty sweetness, light hops and medium carbonation, but I missed the advertised hazelnut palate. It finishes long with a light dryness and a hint of alcohol taste.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
bowen008 (134) - Houston, Texas, USA - JUN 30, 2003
A good nut brown. Of course it has a rich nutty character. A nice round lingering beer.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
DrinkingbuddyD (129) - Warsaw, New York, USA - JUN 25, 2003
I don't think that the clear bottle really helps this beer much. I noticed a skunky aroma upon opening the bottle and I think that the skunkiness impared my ability to fully taste this beer. This particular bottle may have been a little past its prime as well. Poured a nice amber color and had a decent tan head. didn't last long though. As for flavor I noticed a sweet, almost wine-like flavor. Slightly fruity. Most sam smith beers seem very similar in flavor to me. Typically a sweet/wine with some maltiness. I certainly didn't think that this was very characteristic of a nut brown. To me, it was very similar in flavor to the Samuel Smith's oatmeal and imperial stout varieties.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Smacky (71) - San Clemente, California, USA - JUN 24, 2003
One of the better nutbrown ales, the color is ok as is the nose (somewhat sweet and malty with a hint of nuttineess). The flavor is quite similar to the nose, but more pronounced all the way around. Not very rich, but a pleasant beer for easy drinking.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 15/20
NightOwl (45) - Midland, Michigan, USA - JUN 19, 2003
Nice brown ale, nutty and sweet. Mine was a bit stale, but I'm letting that go assuming it was from the clear bottle. Little hops, limited aftertaste.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 6/20
ericnixon (741) - Portland, Oregon, USA - JUN 18, 2003
I got this beer because some of my favorite have been of the nutty ale variety. i was kinda turned off by the boring and archaic label, but whatever. It was very dark in color. when i tasted it i immediately noticed how fizzy it was. very overly so. that and the taste itself made me think of the words "choco-skunk". no detection of the hazelnuts as was promised in the description...just Choco-Skunk. i guess that's what i get for buying a beer that's in a clear bottle.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Wrath (362) - Valparaiso, Indiana, USA - JUN 18, 2003
Brown Color with a little head.Slight nutty malty flavor.Goes down rather smooth with that nice brown ale feel in the mouth.Nice balanced finish.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Kasteelfreak (341) - Fallbrook, California, USA - JUN 11, 2003
UPDATED: AUG 8, 2003 Not bad but not great. Nice lace with a little head . Kind of watery with a little seetness and nutiness. Aftertaste is unexpectantly bitter. Gets better as I drink more, but am not sure if I would buy again. Rogue hazelnut brown is much better

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
BierBauch (784) - Cape Coral Waterfront Wonderland, Florida, USA - JUN 8, 2003
Why they insist on bottling this one in a clear bottle is beyond my imagination. Looks nice poured, brown/amber color with a decent frothy head. Aroma is overpowering skunk with a hint of more skunk. Flavor is malty and skunky. Thin on the palate with a watery feeling. I'm sure this was good before they ruined it putting it in a clear bottle but I have to give it an honest review. A dissapointment for me and hopefully one day I'll have the opportunity to re-rate a better sample.