Brewed by Samuel Smith
Style: Brown Ale
Tadcaster, England

RATINGS: 2099   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.5   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
Brewed at Samuel Smith’s small, traditional British brewery with well water (the original well sunk in 1758 is still in use), best barley malt, roasted barley, yeast and aromatic hops. Nut Brown Ale is relatively dry with a rich amber-brown colour and nutty flavour derived exclusively from small amounts of dark malt. Brown ales are a specialty of northern England. Fermented in ’stone Yorkshire squares’.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
matta (1140) - Tampa, Florida, USA - JUN 3, 2003
This is an unbelievable beer that is made for everyday drinking. This beer has a beautiful muddy amber color, an enticing frothy head, and a bold caramel/malt aroma and taste. A fairly easy to find beer that merits an undertaking.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
AustinMilbarge (681) - Denver, Colorado, USA - MAY 28, 2003
Nice nutty aroma, I can't say I know nuts, other than my own, well enough to pinpoint these as hazelnuts, walnuts, et cetera, though. Nice mahogoney color. Creamy head that quickly diminishes. A little bit of subtle hoppiness, with some malt. Has that mouthfeel of a good brown ale, where it feels woody/nutty in your mouth as an aftertaste.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
BBB63 (6502) - La Porte, Indiana, USA - MAY 26, 2003
When I think of brown ales, this is what comes to mind. A standard bearer for the genre. Beautiful mahogany color and tan head, some lacing, and thin to medium-bodied. Nutty and smoky on the nose with a taste that is similiar. Sweet malt and bitter hop flavors balance well on the palate. Nutty aspects linger on the tongue. Only wish that they would get darker bottles that would have greater chance to resist going bad. Recommend find a good retailer who keep this beer away from sunlight.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Holdwine (1135) - Beertimore, Maryland, USA - MAY 26, 2003
Ordered an oatmeal stout and the waitress brought me this. Just as well, I suppose, both are great examples of their style and I had never rated this before. Mahogany in color with a nice tan head. This brown ale goes down quite easily with a nice toasty quality. Great balance, etc... buy this beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
SDbruboy (1864) - San Diego, California, USA - MAY 24, 2003
Which way to go tonight? Pale Ale, Nut Brown Ale or perhaps that Barleywine that I've been saving? Looks like the Sam Smiths Nut Brown wins! As I decant most of the bottle into my pint glass, I'm amazed by the size of the head easing up. I let it sit on the counter for a moment, the deep brown color and rapturous, rocky head reminding me more than a bit of an old fashioned root beer. Ah, but the aroma, definitely beer of the malted barley and hop variety. Toasted grains, molasses, pine, and a smidge of soy. The first sip brings a complex blend of roasted malt with a nice balancing hop bitterness. The long hoppy finish includes a bit of coffee and spice. The malt flavors matured and deepened as the ale warmed. Not one that I'll go out of my way for in the future, but quite pleasant overall.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
jskendzel (602) - Washington DC, USA - MAY 22, 2003
Whoa this bottle tastes awful. Tastes like window cleaner smells. Carbonated harshness and poor bitterness and mouthfeel. I really don't understand the point of bottling in clear glass when it is known that light affects beer quality.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
TehBeerMonsta (25) - USA - MAY 21, 2003
I was a bit dissappointed. Maybe I just had an old bottle or something, the flavor tasted like a mix of nuts, alcohol and unfortunatly ...skunk. It's almost like one of the bad malt liqour brewers tried to get all fancy and add some walnut flavor to one of their crappy brews. It can't even be saved by chugging it because of the nasty aftertaste. It does have a nice color, but so what? Like I said, hopefully I just had a bad bottle because if not I'm a little dissappointed this beer gets rated so high.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
JFGrind (1925) - Glenside, Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 18, 2003
I had the bottled version, drank it as a session beer. Roasted malt flavor is evident, has more flavor than other brown ales I have sampled.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
papajohn (1249) - San Diego (Mira Mesa), California, USA - MAY 16, 2003
UPDATED: DEC 30, 2003 Color is deep mahogany. Head it mediun, beige and quickly diminishing. Aroma is sweet and nutty. Flavor is moderately sweet, lightly bitter and finishes slightly dry and carbonated.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
DrunkAsASkunk (847) - Lynnwood, Washington, USA - MAY 6, 2003
This one pours a fiery reddish color with a creamy pearl and beige head that lingered for quite a while. The aroma is filled with a mixture of fresh and stale hops and a hint of caramel malt. The taste is where it really comes through...very nice caramel malty ending..some nut, and a hint of chocolate in mid taste with a very long, dry, and drawn out aftertaste. Nice mouthfeel, fairly active carbonation for a brown ale...a hint of sourness in the finish..very good rich beer