Brewed by Samuel Smith
Style: Brown Ale
Tadcaster, England

RATINGS: 2113   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.5/5   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
Brewed at Samuel Smith’s small, traditional British brewery with well water (the original well sunk in 1758 is still in use), best barley malt, roasted barley, yeast and aromatic hops. Nut Brown Ale is relatively dry with a rich amber-brown colour and nutty flavour derived exclusively from small amounts of dark malt. Brown ales are a specialty of northern England. Fermented in ’stone Yorkshire squares’.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
BtownBrewer (91) - Belchertown, Massachusetts, USA - JUL 6, 2003
Had 2 bottles of this over 2 nights. The first one I swaore was skunked, except the second one, bought on a different day from a different shop, smelled just the same. The aroma was a hoppiness gone wrong. The bitter aroma spliied over to the flavor where it obscured any nutty flavor that may have been present. Less body than I'm used to in a nut brown. Won't drink again.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
fly (1441) - austin, Tejas, Texas, USA - JUL 5, 2003
This is probably THE ONE nut brown that I enjoy. Caramel malt flavor playing with just enough of the right hops to make me take notice. Found in an overpriced three pack with a Pale Ale and Stout + glass. At least the box kept the clear bottles from harms way. An I sure did appreciate it as this was delicious.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
Lizabeth (360) - east falmouth, Massachusetts, USA - JUL 4, 2003
Drank from the bottle. Rich brown color with a sweet malty aroma. Taste was mostly caramel malt with enough hop bitterness to avoid cloyness. Got a strong taste of hazalnut in the aftetaste; by the time I finished the bottle I felt like I'd eaten a bushel of the things.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
TChrome (1448) - Bedford, Texas, USA - JUL 4, 2003
Nice easy drinking brown ale. This beer doesn't challenge one to come up with all sorts of aromas or deScriptions for flavor. It is straightforward with an exellent roasted malt aroma and flavor. Quite good at what is does.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
vector (163) - Dallas, Texas, USA - JUL 3, 2003
My favorite nut brown. Has subtle sweet and tangy malt flavor like other Sam Smith products. Good nutty flavoring throught.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
ivan9856 (189) - Arlington, Virginia, USA - JUL 1, 2003
The nose has a definite caramel, malty aroma with just a hint of hops. A great looking ale, it pours dark amber or “nut brown”—as the label clearly declares—with a large foamy tan-colored head. The head rapidly vanished, and there was a little lacing. I found that this ale offers a balanced malty sweetness, light hops and medium carbonation, but I missed the advertised hazelnut palate. It finishes long with a light dryness and a hint of alcohol taste.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
bowen008 (134) - Houston, Texas, USA - JUN 30, 2003
A good nut brown. Of course it has a rich nutty character. A nice round lingering beer.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
DrinkingbuddyD (129) - Warsaw, New York, USA - JUN 25, 2003
I don't think that the clear bottle really helps this beer much. I noticed a skunky aroma upon opening the bottle and I think that the skunkiness impared my ability to fully taste this beer. This particular bottle may have been a little past its prime as well. Poured a nice amber color and had a decent tan head. didn't last long though. As for flavor I noticed a sweet, almost wine-like flavor. Slightly fruity. Most sam smith beers seem very similar in flavor to me. Typically a sweet/wine with some maltiness. I certainly didn't think that this was very characteristic of a nut brown. To me, it was very similar in flavor to the Samuel Smith's oatmeal and imperial stout varieties.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Smacky (71) - San Clemente, California, USA - JUN 24, 2003
One of the better nutbrown ales, the color is ok as is the nose (somewhat sweet and malty with a hint of nuttineess). The flavor is quite similar to the nose, but more pronounced all the way around. Not very rich, but a pleasant beer for easy drinking.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 15/20
NightOwl (45) - Midland, Michigan, USA - JUN 19, 2003
Nice brown ale, nutty and sweet. Mine was a bit stale, but I'm letting that go assuming it was from the clear bottle. Little hops, limited aftertaste.