overall
Brewed by Samuel Smith
Style: Brown Ale
Tadcaster, England

RATINGS: 1979   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.5   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
Brewed at Samuel Smith’s small, traditional British brewery with well water (the original well sunk in 1758 is still in use), best barley malt, roasted barley, yeast and aromatic hops. Nut Brown Ale is relatively dry with a rich amber-brown colour and nutty flavour derived exclusively from small amounts of dark malt. Brown ales are a specialty of northern England. Fermented in ’stone Yorkshire squares’.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
muzzlehatch (4424) - Burlington, Vermont, USA - AUG 4, 2001
UPDATED: APR 14, 2005 12 oz bottle. Dark, very clear chestnut, fluffy off-white head lasts considerably...nose is just a touch nutty, very slightly skunked (clear bottle) at first but this fades quickly, somewhat vinous...very nice nutty body, clean and smooth with some hints of tobacco adding edge and more than the usual amount of hop bitterness late. Really excellent brown ale, not a 4.8 as I rated it in my formative days but still amongst the best of style. Original rating 8/5/10/5/20 4.8

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
dolemike1 (1288) - Jeannette, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 24, 2001
Sweet, nutty, creamy... excellent.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 13/20
Delbomber (387) - Philadelphia, USA - JUL 24, 2001
Oddly, the aroma reminded me of an apple crumb cake. Dark cherry red character with a smooth, smokey brown sugar flavor. Also slightly nutty, there was something about the taste that just seemed a bit off. Perhaps it was a bit too grainy. Probably my least favorite Sam Smith to date.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
The Friar99 (222) - Wisconsin, USA - JUL 16, 2001

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
THE BEER BARON (275) - Wisconsin, USA - JUL 14, 2001

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Got Stout? (173) - Wisconsin, USA - JUL 14, 2001
A very smooth, easy beer. No flavor real prominant over the other. It drinks like everything is in tune with itself, like an engine. I am starting to like Brown Ales more and more

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Jake Barnes (456) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - JUN 18, 2001
I had a chance to taste this head to head with Rogue’s Hazelnut Nectar tonight. Rogue came out the victor. However, Sammys Nut Brown is very good in its own right. A little less complex, but still a good nutty flavor.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
JBowz99 (26) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - JUN 13, 2001
I’ve never been a big fan of nut brown ales, but on a recommendation I gave it a try. Drinkable, but not my style.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
JMerritt (1776) - Macomb, Illinois, USA - JUN 9, 2001
Not quite as nutty as I was hoping. Don’t get me wrong - you can taste hazelnuts, but it was more subtle that I was hoping. Also a little too much hops for my taste. However, I did enjoy this beer (despite the cost of $8 for a 4-pack).

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20