overall
Brewed by Samuel Smith
Style: Brown Ale
Tadcaster, England

RATINGS: 2006   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.5   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
Brewed at Samuel Smith’s small, traditional British brewery with well water (the original well sunk in 1758 is still in use), best barley malt, roasted barley, yeast and aromatic hops. Nut Brown Ale is relatively dry with a rich amber-brown colour and nutty flavour derived exclusively from small amounts of dark malt. Brown ales are a specialty of northern England. Fermented in ’stone Yorkshire squares’.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Volgon (2763) - Manchester, New Hampshire, USA - DEC 1, 2001
My favorite nut brown. You couldn’t ask for a smoother beer. You could ask for more taste though.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
TAR (2503) - Lafayette, Colorado, USA - DEC 1, 2001
UPDATED: JAN 20, 2007 Lots of toffee malts and mild English hop character to go along with their unique house character. Nice stuff.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Aurelius (4230) - Tallahassee, Florida, USA - DEC 1, 2001
The color of good whiskey. Nice creamy head. ’Come hither’ aroma. Smooth and malty, the hops catch you towards the end. The SS brewmaster is just a little lower than the angels. Fill up the bumper and quaff the good cheer...

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
blatz (138) - Palm Beach Gardens, FL, Florida, USA - NOV 22, 2001
Admittedly, expensive but not much over Newcastle and so much better. Nice and toasty easy drinkability and a perfect balance between hops and malt. Can be skunky if you buy from the wrong merchant, however.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
MMM...Beer (385) - Las Vegas, Nevada, USA - NOV 7, 2001
Not my favorite of the brown ales, however, none the less, very satisfying. If I had to choose, I would proably pick Sam’s Oatmeal Stout over this one, but this was still very good.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
ericmoss3799 (73) - Warwick, Rhode Island, USA - OCT 31, 2001
This beer is very expensive, but it good and worth the price; however I decided to brew my own nut brown ale.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Blatz King (150) - Whitewater, Wisconsin, USA - OCT 27, 2001
I wish I had more.

fraternie (826) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - OCT 27, 2001
UPDATED: FEB 25, 2003 Very good, even as expensive as it is. My ideal beer, nut flavor and a beautiful color and head. Only looses points for a slight overdose on the hops, but I'll still put it way up there on my list.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
MOboy (505) - Kansas City, Missouri, USA - OCT 26, 2001

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 15/20
K-V-F-L (292) - LaVista, Nebraska, USA - OCT 23, 2001
Smooth, I suppose, but at the expense of anything that would make it really vibrant. I guess I wanted more nuttiness and texture.