overall
Brewed by Samuel Smith
Style: Brown Ale
Tadcaster, England

RATINGS: 1976   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.5   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
Brewed at Samuel Smithís small, traditional British brewery with well water (the original well sunk in 1758 is still in use), best barley malt, roasted barley, yeast and aromatic hops. Nut Brown Ale is relatively dry with a rich amber-brown colour and nutty flavour derived exclusively from small amounts of dark malt. Brown ales are a specialty of northern England. Fermented in ístone Yorkshire squaresí.

acsilver877 (10) - Arizona, USA - JAN 30, 2012
Bottle. This is one of my top two favorite beers from Samuel Smith. I could drink myself into the poor house on this beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
Mmmmbeeer (14) - USA - NOV 3, 2007
Maaaan, this is my favorite beer of all time. Iím telling you, I donít understand why other beers donít want to be this good. Though Iíve had better and worse batches of this (maybe due to the clear glass bottle?), the first time I ever had it was just unbeatable. Look at that head! Itís what I consider perfect. It almost looks like food. Such texture. And the taste is just perfect. Thereís a slight sweetness but not so much that youíd call it sweet, and I guess thatís part of the perfect malt-ness of it, which just gives it a perfect depth. Mix that with the color and the perfect mouthfeel and we have ourselves a winner. I would drink his brother Johnís ale in my local in Scotland and was pissed when I actually went to York and couldnít find Samuelís on tap anywhere. Yarrrgh! I mean, itís from there! or at least Yorkshire anyway. Youíd think theyíd have it on tap, but no, just John (this was í96-97). So Iíve only ever had it in the bottle. But itís still the best. I donít even like brown ale otherwise. Newcastle, for example, tastes just about like brown water to me. I donít understand why thereís no flavor in most of the browns Iíve tried. They really have no right to that color if they arenít going to deliver flavor. Itís bait and switch I tell you. This one is nothing like other watery brown ales Iíve tried. Love me some SSNBA.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
beertholomeus (692) - California, USA - MAR 6, 2013
Pours rich copper color into a dimpled mug with a light tan 1" head, decent retention. Caramel and malty smell with some nuttiness. Caramel and malts are tasted first with a nutty dry finish. Medium body with a slight bitterness. Lively amount of carbonation. Overall, great brown ale that i will continue to buy.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
N3lson1 (144) - Long Valley, New Jersey, USA - JAN 3, 2014
My all-time favorite beer. Dark, delicious, beautiful dark brown color, wonderful flavor. Great nutty flavor but not over powering.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Trappist (284) - Knoxville, Tennessee, USA - FEB 27, 2002
I have enjoyed all samuel smith products that I have purchased, this ale has a very distinct flavor and aroma but it is very enjoyable.

OldJack99 (114) - USA - OCT 12, 2002

mrhoppy (1284) - Santa Clara, California, USA - NOV 16, 2011
Very dry. Excellent bitterness. Nothing sweet here. This beer defines the style. Pairs amazingly with beef. Caramel, wood, cork, nutty, mild spice. Carbonation on point. The finish is a long lasting lingering tasty bitterness. Wow! This beer really captures a cold muggy damp woody environment. Like the pub scene in the movie American Werewolf in London.

chappy5445 (2) - Ontario, CANADA - MAR 20, 2014 does not count
The nicest English real ale Iíve had since I was in England and had Owd Roger. Very smooth with a good aftertaste.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
billb (244) - Kennesaw, Georgia, USA - MAY 27, 2000
One of the best brown ales in existence.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
bigred7 (44) - Sarcoxie, Missouri, USA - SEP 19, 2000
I almost didnít buy this because of the clear bottle. Glad I did. Iím gonna get some more of this stuff. Smooth, creamy, slightly bitter, nice aftertaste.