overall
Brewed by Samuel Smith
Style: Sweet Stout
Tadcaster, England

RATINGS: 3029   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.9   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
Originally a drink for lactating mothers, oatmeal stout was described as nutritional on early labels. Oats are in the same family as barley, and a small addition yields great flavor. Popular in the late 1800ís, the last oatmeal stout was brewed before the First World War until Samuel Smith reintroduced this style in 1980.

Almost opaque, with an unusually silky texture and complex, medium-dry velvet palate. Bittersweet finish.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
AxeMaster221 (343) - Portland, Oregon, USA - MAY 22, 2002
Nice malty aroma and a tan head that lasted. Very dark with no light coming through the glass. As for the taste...... it was lovely. Smooth from start to finish and nice burnt malt/coffee flavors but not at all harsh. A great change from the everyday Guinness.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
foduck (328) - Denton, Texas, USA - MAY 20, 2002
Skunky aroma (clear bottle). Even though the aroma is ruined this was still enjoyable. Well-balanced sweetness. Full of flavor yet nothing offends my tongue. Itís so heavy I canít feel the alcohol much at all, just the oats in my stomach. Beats Guinness any day.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
tzakiel (81) - Virginia, USA - MAY 19, 2002
Well, oatmeal stout may not be my style, donít know... but I felt this one was a little bit intense. Good flavors, but a bit strong on the coffee for me.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
IFearNoBeer (15) - Bloomfield, New Jersey, USA - MAY 17, 2002
Really good stuff, leaves a nice burnt and coffee aftertaste.. no real sweetness to it, which I liked as Iím not nuts about sweet stouts. This beer ROCKS with dessert foods, like a cookie. Itís tan head really disappears quickly which is a bummer. But again, awesome with cookies.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
VA Homebrewer (525) - Portsmouth, Virginia, USA - MAY 17, 2002
Man, this is what stout should be. Forget that Guinness dry stout crap. Mocha and roasted malt on the nose foreshadows the flavors youíre about to encounter. Talk about smooth and creamy? This is the epitome of smooth and creamy. Mocha and roasted malt flavors and creamy texture do battle with neither coming out ahead, which is a good thing. Smooth character with interacting flavors just feels great in the mouth. Smooth chocolate finish leaves a pleasant aftertaste that doesnít linger too long. Exquisite and a new favorite.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Turbotommy (32) - Westlake Village, California, USA - MAY 16, 2002
I was really suprised to discover that the glass bottle was clear glass...heh heh

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
omhper (18939) - TyresŲ, SWEDEN - MAY 16, 2002
Very black. Instransparent. Roasty, creamy, softly malty. Medium bitterness. Wonderfully balanced.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
cathcacr (630) - Oregon, USA - MAY 16, 2002
My first oatmeal stout, and rather different from what I expected. I donít know if the light got to it in the clear bottle or not, so that may affect my impression.

Dark, perfectly black stout color. Tan head that didnít last long. The beer is a lot more hearty and thick in appearance than in the taste and mouthfeel, which I found surprisingly thin and watery. I was hoping for chocolate or candied taste like what I got in the Smith imperial stout, though I mainly got a light roasty, burnt, woody taste. A pleasant flavor overall. Finishes really smooth but uneventful. Aroma reminded me slightly of sniffing a red wine, though also like the aroma of Anchor Porter. Gets a little more robust in taste as it warms. With more of a chocolatey bite to it, I might not tell the difference between this and the Anchor Porter.

Anyway, a pretty good beer that I could definitely come back to once in a while.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
kburns99 (7) - California, USA - MAY 15, 2002 does not count
Iím a big fan of stouts and this is a smooth and easy going one to enjoy. It isnít as thick though as a Guinness or Murphyís Irish Stout.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
MaxPower (961) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - MAY 15, 2002
Very smooth nice creamy head.I think the bottle I had may be old.