overall
Brewed by Samuel Smith
Style: Sweet Stout
Tadcaster, England

RATINGS: 3321   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.89/5   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
Originally a drink for lactating mothers, oatmeal stout was described as nutritional on early labels. Oats are in the same family as barley, and a small addition yields great flavor. Popular in the late 1800’s, the last oatmeal stout was brewed before the First World War until Samuel Smith reintroduced this style in 1980.

Almost opaque, with an unusually silky texture and complex, medium-dry velvet palate. Bittersweet finish.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
biomechanic (55) - Washington, USA - JUL 9, 2003
This beer is good but not exceptional. Kinda sweet but not much. Everything from this brewery seems to be decent.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 4/20
wunderbier (1434) - Tampere, FINLAND - JUL 7, 2003
UPDATED: SEP 4, 2007 Horrible vegetal nastiness in a bottle. I’ve retried this a dozen times since my initial rating and have never been able to get beyond the oats lending a cabbage/broccoli flavour.

Black body with a lasting, creamy, light-brown head. Aroma of chocolate, molasses and burnt oats. Also doughy with a tinge of alcohol. Flavor is heavily sweet with a moderately sweet, moderately bitter finish. Full, creamy body. Almost a hint of dairy as it warms.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
fly (1459) - austin, Tejas, Texas, USA - JUL 5, 2003
Were it not for being as sweet as it is (which is fitting for style, if not m,y pallette) I would rate this tops. Hey. it's summer in Texas and I'm drinking a stout and loving it. If that doesn't show some respect, think about it a minute. Lovely full head that makes me take a minute before burying my face in it. fantastic finish, but did I say I find it a tad sweet? Once I get past that I just love it.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
DuffManOhYeah (133) - USA - JUL 3, 2003
Exceptional color, extremely dark. The taste is definitely of a stout, but unlike any other I have ever tasted. Great head, mocha/oatmeal flavor. The texture is just right too. Highly recommended.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
GregClow (3098) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - JUL 2, 2003
Deep brown/black with gorgeous ruby flashes when held up to the light, and a soft mocha head. Aromas of bitter chocolate, sweeted coffee and roasted oats. Silky, creamy mouthfeel. Sweet chocolate malted flavour, with a perfectly balanced bitterness in the finish. Mmmmmmm!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
adwoan99 (244) - Ft. Worth, Texas, USA - JUN 30, 2003
This beer pours almost black, with a bit of red around the edges. Aroma of toasted malt assaults the nose. I taste toasted malt and oatmeal (of course), in addition to an almost berry-like sweetness, towards the finish. I enjoyed this very much, and can see myself drinking it after a nice cook-out, beside the pool, with a good cigar.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
bowen008 (134) - Houston, Texas, USA - JUN 30, 2003
This beer was good. Especially with desert. Satiny, creamy choclate taste. Pours thick. Yummy.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
IPFreely (1470) - Sanborn, New York, USA - JUN 28, 2003
Very dark with a fairly dark tan head. Perfect blend of toffee, chocolate, and roasted malt. Silky mouthfeel. Good stuff.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Cashazza (217) - Morganville, Maryland, USA - JUN 26, 2003
The bottle I'm drinking now is a little skunky, but I've had this before and will again -- one of my favorite beers that is easily accessible in my neck of the woods. Dark -- very dark brownish red, thick head, nice lacing, sweet chocolatey aroma and flavor that has a nice, smooth finish. Almost a little too sweet, though, but no complaining here.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
DrinkingbuddyD (129) - Warsaw, New York, USA - JUN 25, 2003
Not much aroma noticed. Dark brown/red in color. Poured a very nice tan head and left a beautiful lacing on the glass. Had a very sweet and toasty malt flavor wiht a nice chocolate finish. I really didn't find this beer as enjoyable as I was lead to believe. Overall not bad.