overall
Brewed by Samuel Smith
Style: Sweet Stout
Tadcaster, England

RATINGS: 3062   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.9   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
Originally a drink for lactating mothers, oatmeal stout was described as nutritional on early labels. Oats are in the same family as barley, and a small addition yields great flavor. Popular in the late 1800’s, the last oatmeal stout was brewed before the First World War until Samuel Smith reintroduced this style in 1980.

Almost opaque, with an unusually silky texture and complex, medium-dry velvet palate. Bittersweet finish.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Dragon99 (57) - Laramie, Wyoming, USA - NOV 9, 2001
A nice creamy beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Kaya161 (1128) - San Diego, California, USA - NOV 6, 2001
Like a fine cabarnet. Wonderfully creamy, silky, and smooth and slightly fruity. Definitely one of the best stouts in the world!!!

40oz (181) - Newport Beach, California, USA - NOV 5, 2001
Fruity, winey aroma. Smooth black coffee like taste and texture. Good balance of bitterness and sweetness. Delicious.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Beer Guy99 (250) - Maineville, Ohio, USA - NOV 2, 2001
Dark, velvety pour. Deep tan colored head of thick froth. A roasted aroma resembling home brew greets and flavor is earthy and malty with a slight dryness in the finish. Notes of coffee, chocolate and gypsum are present. This used to be one of my favorite beers but over time many fine American oatmeal stouts have matched or surpassed this one in flavor and character. A classic in every sense.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
soulrefugee (46) - Illinois, USA - OCT 31, 2001
This is what strikes me as being the pinnacle of what can be achieved in a brewed beverage. It just tastes ’perfect’ whatever that is. I guess that’s different to everyone, but to me, its just very flavorful and hearty, with a good head. Its what I always dreamed of before I had it. Its what I had in mind when I first had Guinness and was dissappointed. All of the Samuel Smith’s brews I’ve tried are really high quality, but this one is my favorite tasting one. Of course these brews are also expensive, so if you just are looking for a buzz, and have a limited pocketbook, you’ll need to go for something cheaper.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
legion242 (2142) - Richardson, Texas, USA - OCT 26, 2001
G-DAMN I love this beer!!! Oily and sweet. Filling and warming. My wife swears that she tastes Gouda and Worschestire.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
MMM...Beer (385) - Las Vegas, Nevada, USA - OCT 17, 2001
I really enjoyed this beer. It was just the thing that I craved after a wonderful dinner. The great thing about this beer is that it acted like a sweet destert, yet wasn’t terrbily filling. I look forward to trying other products by Samuel Smtih.

joet (2121) - Santa Rosa, California, USA - OCT 17, 2001
Pitch black without dominant ashen aromas or flavors, instead there are pleasant carmel, deep roast and doughy yeast. The creamy oatmeal mini-foamed malt is well-balanced by a medium bitter that nicely continues to follow the lingering sweetness.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
K-V-F-L (292) - LaVista, Nebraska, USA - OCT 15, 2001
You can almost taste the oats in your mouth. I swear I had to pick one out of my teeth. Damn good stuff; even if you don’t like stouts, give this one your attention.

cruz22499 (20) - Holyoke, Massachusetts, USA - OCT 12, 2001
Now this is what I call a world class beer.