overall
Brewed by Samuel Smith
Style: Sweet Stout
Tadcaster, England

RATINGS: 3320   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.89/5   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
Originally a drink for lactating mothers, oatmeal stout was described as nutritional on early labels. Oats are in the same family as barley, and a small addition yields great flavor. Popular in the late 1800ís, the last oatmeal stout was brewed before the First World War until Samuel Smith reintroduced this style in 1980.

Almost opaque, with an unusually silky texture and complex, medium-dry velvet palate. Bittersweet finish.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Frank (3892) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - NOV 16, 2002
I wanted to try something special for my 50th rating. Seeing as this was a top 50 pick on RateBeer and readily available, it was a perfect choice. A beautiful an inviting black colour but with a quickly fading head. Left a ring of lace at the top of the glass but no more for the remainder. The bottle I tried might have been on the shelf too long. Leaving a hint of skunkiness in the otherwise pleasant roasty aroma. A bit watery but smooth on the palate. Just a touch of fruit in the flavor. Finish is pleasantly bitter after the initial sweetness, although with some slight acidity. Canít help but be a little disapointed with my first top 50 beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
grant (842) - Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA - NOV 15, 2002
UPDATED: NOV 6, 2007 Why put such a beautiful beer in a clear bottle? What a crime...couldnít tell at the store because the beer is so dark. Seemed a little thin--on texture but not on flavor. Overall this is excellent; it is hard to beat a good sweet stout. I can taste the oatmeal in this one. I wish I could think of more superlatives but this is damn near perfection.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
jpknight22 (171) - Charlotte, North Carolina, USA - NOV 14, 2002
UPDATED: MAY 10, 2004 As I initially couldn't buy the Imperial Stout, I'm left rating the Oatmeal Stout, which isn't a bad thing at all. Although I was expecting more flaring oatmeal overtones, this has to be one of the best beers I've ever had as far as sit down drinkability. Upon first examination, this beer has the consistency of worcestershire sauce, not nearly as thick as other stouts. Pleasant aroma, mildly sweet, minimal carbonation, bearing a creamy roasted flavor. Awesome texture and finish. This is going to become one of my standards. Bring on the St. Ambroise so I can rate it next! RE-RATE: After pairing two of the Victorian pints to a St. Ambroise, I am prepared to say that this is the smoothest stout I've had to date. I guzzled down two of those suckers like it was water; the pure brewed lager didn't go down as easily.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
jsquire (4096) - St. Marys, Ohio, USA - NOV 8, 2002
Very, very dark with lasting fluffy tan head that left great lace. Dark roast coffee smell. Dark chocolate sweetness with a roast coffee bitterness in the finish. Smooth mouthfeel.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Lizabeth (360) - east falmouth, Massachusetts, USA - NOV 6, 2002
This stout pours to a dark black-brown color with a rich tan head. The flavor has hints of chocolate covered raisons, molasses, and just a hint of coffee. Deep, rich and profoundly enjoyable

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
Joeh (2049) - Buckinghamshire, ENGLAND - NOV 5, 2002
UPDATED: MAR 19, 2005 Bottled. Indeed sweet, rich, thick. I canít help feel these are a little overrated.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
cooltunesmann99 (6) - USA - NOV 3, 2002 does not count
When it comes to oatmeal stout it doesnít get any better than Samuel Smith

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
TheRimmer (483) - Florida, USA - OCT 30, 2002
RE RATE: I had nothing of importance to say before. but i gave this another try and was blown away. Drinking this i found candy and raisins and smootheness. This is a versatile beer for many occasions.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
ppcpilot (21) - Port Allen, Louisiana, USA - OCT 27, 2002
Stout is an understatement. Beer pours out of the bottle thick like burnt motor oil. Head on beer is caramel color; not even close to white. Super bitter, hints of burnt coffee and oatmeal of course. Nice feel in the mouth; real flavor kicks in 10 seconds after a sip. Iím not a fan of bitter brew, but I believe this beer would appeal to most stout lovers.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
DallasBryan (111) - Dallas, Texas, USA - OCT 26, 2002
UPDATED: JAN 24, 2003 good stout, not quite as good as Koff, Carneigie or Coopers. Its a stout so I can only rate it so high. If I real like something I should be able to drink about 12 without getting bored, but as with all ale/stout a few are good then I want to graduate to another taste. Lager is like a meal, ale is like dessert.