overall
Brewed by Samuel Smith
Style: Sweet Stout
Tadcaster, England

RATINGS: 3177   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.89   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
Originally a drink for lactating mothers, oatmeal stout was described as nutritional on early labels. Oats are in the same family as barley, and a small addition yields great flavor. Popular in the late 1800’s, the last oatmeal stout was brewed before the First World War until Samuel Smith reintroduced this style in 1980.

Almost opaque, with an unusually silky texture and complex, medium-dry velvet palate. Bittersweet finish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Gooner (136) - Chatham, Ontario, CANADA - JAN 31, 2002
Very similar to St. Ambroise(McAuslan) Oatmeal Stout, not quite as complex or as balanced. The 2nd best oatmeal stout I’ve had so far.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
michaelm18 (118) - Boston, Massachusetts, USA - JAN 26, 2002
Tastes kinda like Newcastle to me. Its better than Guiness!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
beerstop (173) - Roanoke, Virginia, USA - JAN 26, 2002
UPDATED: FEB 5, 2003 I like this beer more and more each time I pop one open. Perfect sweetness for a stout.

twierz99 (15) - Minnesota, USA - JAN 26, 2002
This is awesome. After my first one, I had to have a second to make sure it was really THAT good. And, yeah...it is. Thick, dark, smooth, great flavor, great head, and did I mention smooth?

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Darkover (1524) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - JAN 24, 2002
Bitter sweet flavor/finish. Big creamy head. Just the right amount of carbonization. Very good.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
Trappist (286) - Knoxville, Tennessee, USA - JAN 20, 2002
A very full and rich flavor, with a dark coloring that is almost black. The malty oat taste is the first to hit the palate leaving a mildly bitter after taste. I like this one a lot.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
CaptainCougar (7133) - Columbia, Maryland, USA - JAN 16, 2002
UPDATED: MAR 31, 2003 A dark viscous brew with thick mouthfeel and a sticky sweet aftertaste. Dark milk chocolate with lactic sweetness dominates the body and can be somewhat overpowering. Still, this is a very good beer and one of Samuel Smith's best.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Gregory (357) - Pullman, Washington, USA - JAN 15, 2002
I loved the flaovrs of this beer from start to finish it tantalized my taste buds, strong hops flavorings at first and smoothed out to a very sweet finish. I really enjoyed this beer. I did have it in the bottle, which I wonder how much different it would be on tap.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 11/20
erway (1004) - Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA - JAN 14, 2002
Don’t let my rating fool you,... this is one of the best examples of an oatmeal stout out there. Thick and roasty with a great head and SWEET! It’s just not my cup of tea. For the price of sammy’s I’ll take the imperial!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
johnson2020 (79) - Canton, Michigan, USA - JAN 13, 2002
Sweet start....very rich, smooth body....a very nice, well balanced finish. One of the best sweet stouts available anywhere.