overall
Tadcaster, England
Serve in English pint

RATINGS: 1223   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.35   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
Bottle: Filtered
Name changed from Old Brewery Pale Ale to Organic Pale Ale in 2011.
Ingredients: Water, malted barley, yeast, hops.
Brewed with well water (the original well at the Old Brewery, sunk in 1758, is still in use, with the hard well water being drawn from 85 feet underground); best barley malt, yeast and aromatic hops; fermented in ‘stone Yorkshire squares’ to create a full, rounded flavour and after-taste.
Best served at about 51°F (11°C).

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
SoylentBlack (123) - Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA - JUL 24, 2003
Beautiful color. Not really the best representation of a pale ale. Aroma is off... Flavor doesn't have enough bitter...

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
roomtempbeer (185) - Franklin, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 23, 2003
Beer pours (in Chimay glass) a dark red-brown with thin, off-white head that disapates quickly to nothing. Aroma is of clean, freshly manufactured rubber, skunk spray, and straw. Flavor is a slight hop with straw and wood burn ending. Easy enough to drink, but nothing to get excited about. Sampled at 71 degrees Fahrenheit.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
kwoeltje (2233) - Manchester, Missouri, USA - JUL 22, 2003
Got this in a boxed set--the box protected the beer since the clear bottle couldn't. I kept it in the dark at home, so it wasn't skunked. Slightly fruity aroma. Light brown color with hints of orange. Head faded quickly. Nicely balanced malt and hops. As it warmed up, it took on hints of brandy.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
haddon90 (1561) - Costa Mesa, California, USA - JUL 20, 2003
This is my first English Pale Ale so I guess I should say I'm not the biggest fan of them. It had a sort of fruit flavor to it. Nice pour and a good head with a lovely aroma. But I guess I wasn't as happy as I hoped to be.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
ivan9856 (189) - Arlington, Virginia, USA - JUL 9, 2003
This ale pours clear and copper in color with a decent rocky beige head that mostly disappeared in a quick fashion. Still, some of the head lasted the entire glass, and there was some nice lacing produced by the pint (+) bottle. The nose of this medium-bodied ale is mostly caramel malt with some floral or fruit influences. The initial flavor in is quite sweet. I noted hints of honey and banana mid-palate along with the expected roasted malt flavor. The finish is relatively short, with a hop flavor that does not quite balance out the initial malty sweetness. I like a more bitter ale, so I think I would have preferred a stronger hop flavor. I also found a hint of alcohol in the back end of the palette. Overall, I enjoyed this ale, and Samuel Smith's makes some fine products. However, I prefer the brewery’s Brown Ale and Taddy Porter.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
fly (1429) - austin, Tejas, Alabama, USA - JUL 5, 2003
The price and clear bottle keeps me from drinking this all the time. I do enjoy it. Been a long time. This brew is in a superior class IMO. One that shows that you can do great things without overwhelming. A great balanace in malt and hops with a breeze from the north country making me wish I could take a closer look at those Yorkshire squares.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
belgianhomebrew (646) - Acworth, Georgia, USA - JUN 29, 2003
Nice malty aroma. Good malt backbone through out with just a subtle bitterness to balance the beer. Finishes slightly to the malty side. A very enjoyable pale ale.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
DerBiermeister (586) - Birmingham, Alabama, USA - JUN 27, 2003
UPDATED: NOV 4, 2004 The taste is mild, unoffending, shy, timid, and quiet. This is a delightful pale ale and one of the most enjoyable I’ve had.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
DrinkingbuddyD (129) - Warsaw, New York, USA - JUN 25, 2003
Clear bottle = bad. The first thing i noticed about this was its strong skunky aroma. Had a brownish orange color and an impressive foamy tan head. Slight sweet and tangy flavor, but very overpowered with a skunkiness. Although it was thorougly masked with skunk, I did notice a very nutty flavor coming through. I am going to have to give this a poor rating for now. Once again: clear bottle = bad.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
drewcifer85710 (158) - Youngstown, Ohio, USA - JUN 24, 2003
Well, I don't have a lot to say. This is certainly a pale ale. Actually pretty damn tasty and nicely balanced, but there's just nothing interesing going at all here. Beautiful deep gold/amber color. Sweet with fruity tones; dry finish.