overall
Style: Pale Lager
Tadcaster, England

RATINGS: 647   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.95   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
Bottle: Pasteurised
A full-bodied lager with lots of malt and hop character. A touch hoppier than many lagers yet perfectly balanced with lots of fruity hop character and fragrance.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
WesBeerGuy (62) - Rocky Hill, Connecticut, USA - JUN 1, 2005
Huh. Canít really smell anything at all, except a faint generic beer flavor. Looks like beer, tastes like beer. Pretty decent for a generic lager, I suppose. I guess I could drink a lot of it without complaining, because itís good, but it is not THAT good, especially not for $3.99. Ok, but I wonít buy it again. Worst Sam Smith out there.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
calivania (62) - USA - OCT 29, 2006
This lager flattens out way too quickly-- the hops in the nose leave the party just when it should be getting started.The mouth feel is a little too thin. Not their best.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
donovan1983 (59) - Denver, Colorado, USA - JUL 24, 2007
Iím not big on lagers but figured Iíd give this one a shot. Pours a nice gold with a white head. Has some nice grassy hops in the aroma, but a rather unexpected amount of malt. Flavour is of honey malt with grassy and fruity hops. Somewhat bitter finish that leaves some faint malt remaining, otherwise a pretty clean finish. Carbonation is just right with a medium body. Very nice flavour overall and very easy to say that this is the best lager I have tried so far. Easy to drink yet has a good amount of character, especially for a pale lager. This just hits the spot perfectly on a warm summer evening. Finally a pale lager that is really worth drinking.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
boojummy (50) - Medford, Massachusetts, USA - JUL 28, 2006
Despite getting a Sam Smithís Organic Lager when I actually ordered an Organic Ale (donít know if I would have tried the lager otherwise), I was thrilled when I actually tasted this beer. Which says a lot-- Iíve never once before had a non-skunk Sam Smith. But this place (The Other Side Cafe) seems to know how to keep its beer, so I thought Iíd give it another try. This beer poured a brilliant (and I mean totally sparkling clear) golden color with a small white head. Aroma was intriguingly malty and faintly hoppy. Iíve always found lagers to be too thin for my taste, and Iíd simply determined that I wasnít a fan of the style, but this makes me think twice. Huge malt flavor, sweet, full-bodied, and very clean-- no sulfur or other off-flavors, just malt and hops. Super pale! Carbonation was refreshing, and there was a faint noble hop flavor on the backend. Amazing, outstanding beer. I would probably go for this more often if it werenít $6 a bottle in Boston. I know that this doesnít taste like a typical lager, but as a BEER, I like it.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 4/20
Mungular (48) - Georgia, USA - JUN 13, 2010
I love Sammy Smith, but man this one just wasnít for me. Honestly, Iíd drink a Bud over this lackluster lager.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
dankbrewqueen (41) - Morongo Valley, California, USA - SEP 7, 2006
Completely agree with commercial description. Itís is an absolutely delicious beer. Would buy time and time again.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
realalechamp (41) - Greater Manchester, ENGLAND - AUG 13, 2012
My go-to lager. Wish I could see this on at Samuel Smith pubs rather than the pure brewed lager (also a fine beer).

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
perezs25 (39) - - MAR 17, 2014
Thick 1.5" white head, low-moderate lacing. Strong hops aroma -mostly fruity, and low-moderate malt. Clear, pale golden color. Nice balance of sweetness of malt but with lager flavor, low heat and style of hops. Good body, finishes very clean. I enjoyed the little extra malt sweetness and body with the flavor and easy lightness of pale lager. Would like stronger hops aroma. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
mark1969 (38) - edinburgh, SCOTLAND - JAN 20, 2012
a pretty good organic lager. very fresh and lightly hopped .a good fruity after taste.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
wrecktem (37) - USA - OCT 29, 2005
UPDATED: NOV 9, 2005 Hoppy and malty, but little in the way of extraordinary flavor. Leaves grassy aftertaste in mouth. "Organic" does not necessarily make a tastier beer.