overall
Brewed by Samuel Smith
Style: Porter
Tadcaster, England

RATINGS: 1945   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.7   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
Available filtered and pasteurised in 550ml clear glass bottles.
"Very dark, fairly full in body and packed with flavor. Intense, dry tangy character of roasted barley."
Ingredients: Malt, cane sugar, roasted barley, hops, carbon dioxide.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
Rib Eye (147) - USA - NOV 13, 2002
UPDATED: DEC 29, 2005 Scrumptious! A delightful mix of nutty and earthy flavors. Nicest light body of any porter I’ve had with plenty of delicious malts.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
argo0 (11443) - Washington DC, USA - NOV 12, 2002
UPDATED: AUG 14, 2003 (8/14/03): Ruby dark brown with big creamy tan head. Aroma is medium sweet, nutty, light roasty, plum. Taste is medium sweet, light roasty, malty, wine-ish. Medium watery body. (11/12/02): Dark brown, with a light brown medium foam. Chocolate-coffee aroma, makes it seem almost like a kid's drink. Very pleasant taste, the malts dominant, with a smidgen of bitterness mixed in. Oddly enough, I couldn't detect any aftertaste. Fairly light-bodied. (7/3/6/4/13)

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 14/20
jpknight22 (171) - Charlotte, North Carolina, USA - NOV 12, 2002
I have to say I was disappointed with this one A) because it is Sammy Smith’s and I expect only the best and B) I drank it a day after sampling perhaps the best micro porter out there (Highland Oatmeal Porter - give it a shot). While I did get some malty and chocolate scents in the aroma, the beer itself had weak carbonation, a bland taste for a porter, and almost tasted a little like plastic. Perhaps this was the bottle I had and I intend to rerate this one, but I wasn’t as pleased as I thought I would be. Still good stuff though... RE-RATE: Got a fresh bottle and its looking a lot better.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Hopistotle420 (1178) - Amherst, Massachusetts, USA - NOV 11, 2002
Mild cocoa malt aroma. Deep blackish garnet hue. Big, tan, foamy head. Sweet chocolate, roasted grain, mocha, burnt bitter finish. Excellent, one of the best.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Prostman (1077) - Pennsylvania, USA - NOV 5, 2002
This is one of my favorite porters. Jet black with a nice rocky head. Find this great beer and enjoy.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 15/20
schm1005 (151) - Seattle, Washington, USA - NOV 2, 2002
This was not what I expected. Barley aroma and roasty flavor but this flavor does not linger long at all. This is a nice beer but it couldbe stronger. I like my porters like black coffee or a healing tea. Lean back in the rocking chair, warm your toes in front of the fire, and drink in the love. Unfortunately this is not the beer to do this with. Don’t get me wrong though, still a good beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
drismyhero (815) - Tacoma, Washington, USA - OCT 29, 2002
UPDATED: JAN 19, 2003 First impression is that it"s a bit watery. Looks great, smells interesting. Definitely has a nice little espresso/chocolate flavor that lingers nicely, but the initial smokey flavor that is very appealing drops off far too quickly. Rather bitter for a porter, kind of thin though. This mixed with the dissipating smokiness leaves the watery taste I mentioned earlier, and slightly deacreases the lasting impression, albeit a good one.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
iwantalambic (1478) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - OCT 22, 2002
Extremely dark, no head out of my bottle. Very nice mild coffee flavours, with a good balance of malts and hops.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
kumite56 (470) - Cordova, Tennessee, USA - OCT 19, 2002
Deep brown color with a large light brown mostly lasting head. Mod lacing. Typical roasted malt taste with light biterness. Fairly dry and in my opinion a bit thin. Not a bad porter however and worth the purchase.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
RaginCajun (320) - Houston, Texas, USA - OCT 19, 2002
Mmmm, chocolate. Little carbonation, no head. Flavor wasn’t as strong as I like. Otherwise, this is some good stuff. Worth a look and worth the money.