overall
Brewed by Samuel Smith
Style: Porter
Tadcaster, England

RATINGS: 2194   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.7/5   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
Available filtered and pasteurised in 550ml clear glass bottles.
"Very dark, fairly full in body and packed with flavor. Intense, dry tangy character of roasted barley."
Ingredients: Malt, cane sugar, roasted barley, hops, carbon dioxide.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
WastedYouthBrew (143) - Phila (Home of Geno's Steaks), Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 25, 2003
Excellent porter, dark and delicious with a fair head, sat well and was greatly accompanied with a bag of pretzels and court TV civil case.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
FlacoAlto (4139) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - SEP 24, 2003
This beer is a deep brown color almost very black. My first thought upon tasting is of sweet malt and soy sauce. Very malty and it has a lightly roasted chocolate flavor. Almost approaches a thick malt syrup taste. This beer feels very smooth at it coats my tongue. There is no real head to speak of on this beer, not much in the way of bitterness either. This beer always reminds me of a well aged stout that has taken on notes of sherry from oxidation.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
GreatStelle (363) - Chico, California, USA - SEP 18, 2003
A very good porter by a classic brewery. Has good chocolate and coffee flavors. Pour fairly dark. This is not the best porter but it is tasty.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
jek803 (41) - USA - SEP 16, 2003
This was my first porter. Pours opaque with hints of roasted coffee and malty sweetnes. It was very good with a slight bite in the finish.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
bu11zeye (12684) - Frisco (Dallas), Texas, USA - SEP 9, 2003
UPDATED: AUG 29, 2004 (Bottle) Pours a dark brown (almost black) with a thin tan head. Rich, sweet malt aroma. Flavors of chocolate, malt, and coffee. Enjoyable beer!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Kåstå (1273) - Mol, BELGIUM - SEP 4, 2003
Dark amber coloured beer with a small head. Plum and molasses aroma. Somewhat dissapointingly short dry and roasted taste.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
flemdawg (559) - Rowlett, Texas, USA - AUG 31, 2003
Very dark brew. Tried to see if any light would get through, but nope, none did. Nice sized head that laced the glass well. Carmels, coffees, malts all assulted my nose as I inhaled deeply. The first sip was different than I expected. Thinking this would be heavier then it was, I was moderatly surprised to find it light and dancing on my tounge. Flavors of chocolate, coffee, carmel, and malts all mingled on my tounge. A great beer to sit and enjoy at anytime.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
bac080 (398) - Bloomington, Illinois, USA - AUG 30, 2003
If I had known that 'Taddy' actually meant 'Smoky flavor and overall not very good' I would have avoided this beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
kindestcut (30) - Addison, Texas, USA - AUG 29, 2003
I was anxious to try to Taddy Porter. It may sound odd but since I visited England in the early 80's and since I learned that my ancestors are from Yorkshire, I really feel an affinity for most things Yorkshire. And so I continued my quest for knowledge. The Taddy Porter poured a DARK brown, nearly black. No light will penetrate this beer! The head was moderately frothy and only slightly dissipated in the couple of minutes I waited to taste. The aroma was relatively mild. I could smell the malt, which was a good sign. I was intrigued, which is exactly what I look for when I smell my beer. Sometimes, I wonder if the sight of a beer in glass creates a bias when I taste. I am not aware of one but I thought I’d taste this beer with my eyes closed. Sure, I’d seen the beer already but hey, I never pass up an opportunity to make a fool of myself. Upon first taste of the dark liquid, (I assumed it was dark, I had my eyes closed) I noticed a pronounced sweet molasses/malt flavor. The beer was slightly dry with very good carbonation. This helps the drinkability for me as it tickles the tongue. Hey...I love the tongue tickling! The beer did not weigh heavy, which surprised me, but I was looking for a more overt taste of alcohol. That’s not a criticism, really, because the flavor was good. Overall, this is a very good porter. I would recommend it to anyone wishing to close their eyes and drift away to Northern England.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
TheBeerGod (5983) - Newport News, Virginia, USA - AUG 25, 2003
The bottle empties to reveal a blackened body with a dark brown head. The nose is coffee and licorice with some hops and malt. Perhaps some dark chocolate as well. The taste confirms these aromas and allows you to judge them as a mixed bouquet of flavors. The finish is bitter but not so much so that it is undrinkable. Decent beer.