Sansachun Yak Ju Sake

Style: Saké - Futsu-shu
, South Korea
Serve in Guinomi, Masu, Ochoko

RATINGS: 9   MEAN: 3.3/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.08   EST. CALORIES: 420   ABV: 14%
Sansa is a fruit bearing, broad leafed, plant belonging to the rose species. The fruit is red and has a pleasant scent. It grow extensively in the Korean peninsula and southern Manchuria. It is especially abundant in the northern part of the peninsula and southern Manchuria. Sansachun enhances appetite if drink before a meal, owing to its sour taste. This yakju is aged to improve it’s strength and taste. It is a yakju of very high quality. Yakju uses filtered alcohols and is then fermented with rice and rice malt.

hopscotch (9037) - Vero Beach, Florida, USA - JUN 2, 2012
Bottle… This sake rocks!… Clear straw-colored sake with a Rosé tint and Cameron Diaz/Angelina Jolie legs. The bouquet provides some really nice apricot, apple and plum esters. Full-bodied with a creamy mouthfeel. The flavor is very fruity – an assortment that I just can’t quite identify - and grassy. Finishes sweet, tart and fruity. Ultra complex. This world class bottle of sake was generously provided by SHIG!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
SHIG (3561) - Wasilla, Alaska, USA - APR 30, 2011
Bottle: Pours a clear with a hue of pink, there is no head. Aroma is pungent of sour fruit. Taste is sweet with fruit and yet has a grain rice touch to it. I like the way it sticks to the palate. Very nice!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
padrefan98 (854) - (San Diego) Santee, California, USA - MAY 16, 2007
375 ml bottle, and the restuarant was Minh Suk Chung. This was very refreshing and went down smooth. Some hints of peach and maybe some nectarine. Very good.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
fordest (1972) - Santee/San Diego, California, USA - MAY 14, 2007
375 ml bottle at Korean restaurant I cannot pronounce or spell. Fruity and floral aromas and very similar flavors, only the flavors were much less subtle. Nice drinkablity. I found myself really enjoying this one.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
TChrome (1417) - Bedford, Texas, USA - JUN 25, 2004
Appearance is peach colored wine. Most dominant aroma was soy sauce, but there were other more subtle aromas that I could tell where there, I just could not identity them. Flavor was fairly nice, peach and floral with some light alcohol. I enjoyed this.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
legion242 (2167) - Richardson, Texas, USA - JUN 21, 2004
Ok, this is my first sake rate, so bear with me. I also think that this is perhaps a remarkable specimen to be my first- sorta like losing your virginity to a super model- Jill Goodacre anyone? So, very pretty opaque pink color, almost rosey. Nose was hard to pin down- I keep trying to think in beer terms, and I don’t think they apply very well to something this delicate. I got a hint of citrus and strawberry. The palate was similiar to me of champagne. The alcohol was very hidden. A nice dry finish. I will seek out a bottle of this and sit and sip it alone, by myself, with no one to bother me.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Kevin (2069) - New Mexico, USA - JUN 21, 2004
Thanks to Nuffield for a sample of this. pinkish and cloudy with almost no aromaexcept an alcohol scent. flavor is sweet with a warm finish. has an overall powdrey flower taste.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Nuffield (3667) - Roseville, Minnesota, USA - APR 13, 2004
This was a gift from a Korean-American student of mine and I accepted it most graciously. My first question was whether this is similar to sake, and I was surprised to find it here on Ratebeer. It has an attractive peachy-brown color, clear except with some swirls of sediment? (whatever it is, mold?) on the bottom. The aroma is sweet with a distinctive port wine quality, and then I picked up a powerful vanilla aroma, with just a touch of almond. The flavor is sweet, only slightly sour, with a titch of apple, flowers, grape, and vanilla. The finish was very quick and while there was a little bit of a sting to it, the alcohol is extremely muted in the flavor and senses. It seemed a bit thin in body, and with the quick finish it lacked a certain "punch" but I love sweet drinks like port so this hit the spot for a small sip after dinner. I liked it, though I know virtually nothing about how to distinguish this from sake of perhaps higher quality.

1.2
   AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 3/20
austinpowers (2826) - New York, New York, USA - DEC 15, 2003
UPDATED: JAN 26, 2004 This is a wineish, slightly tart and sweet, 13% abv drink. It's a lot like fruity white wine or perhaps a rose/blush wine. Just looking at it, you'd think you had a glass of white zinfandel. It's fairly one-dimensional and is probably only good if you want to get liquored up on your way to a Korean karaoke party. Not the least bit dry.