overall

RATINGS: 179   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.41   IBU: 85   EST. CALORIES: 213   ABV: 7.1%
American Brewers have re-defined this traditional English Ale with an intense bitterness derived from the distinct citrus/pine character of Pacific Northwest hops. A dry, crisp malt character and aggressive alcohol make our I.P.A. a Hop-Heads Passion. 16.5į

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Thewade (318) - USA - JAN 6, 2014
This was a pleasant surprise at the Phoenix airport on draft. Crisp and hoppy. Just about what I like best in an IPA. Light color and great head.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
wkibbler (3) - Ontario, CANADA - APR 6, 2014 does not count
Draft at San Tan with dinner. Big citrus , grapefruit tones very drinkable and refreshing. Will definitely stop by again.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
wildbeercat (353) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - MAY 18, 2013
12 fl oz / 355mL can into a Samuel Adams glass. Served cold. Aroma: Citrus, especially lemon, and grapefruit. Nice piney hop aroma. Slight maltiness. Appearance: Transparent rusty amber with a thick off-white head. One of the darker IPAs Iíve seen. Taste: Strong hop presence here. Piney. Reminds me of Stoneís beers. Not as much citrus as I expected from the aroma, but itís deliciously bitter. A little bit of malt. Palate: Medium-full body, nice lingering flavors. Overall: Fantastic IPA. Faaaaantastic.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
dlihcsnatas (292) - Texas, USA - AUG 5, 2014
Amber brew with a strong grapefuit aroma. Taste is about like drinking grapefuit juice. After dranking this one for a while and my taste buds began to adjust for the massive acidic citrus flavor I began to notice a mild pine flavor in there. I love grapefruit so naturally I like this beer. Plan to buy this one again.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
dwyerpg (4566) - Las Vegas, Nevada, USA - JUL 28, 2013
This was a solid IPA. A lot of dry bittering hops at the end with a good body. Solid hoppy IPA that I wish my wife hadnít drank most of while I wasnít looking. :(

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
lucklys (62) - Chandler, Arizona, USA - FEB 13, 2011
The HopShock may now be my second favorite from SanTan thanks to all the hops it holds. It glows a clear dark amber-red, and I canít say much about the head as by the time I got it back to my table, it had pretty much melted into the beer with minimal retention and a faint lacing. The smell was heavenly. The end. My nose fell in love thanks to the early faintly sweet caramelized orange peel leading the way for the obvious grapefruit juice/tart lemon hops bursting from the cup. There were some super subdued malts hovering in there somewhere, too, but I only got a few whiffs of them before they were drowned out by the bitter. Soon after my nose found its soul mate, my tongue was introduced to its new best friend. Hops. Everywhere. This beer was shockingly bitter (see what I did there?) but managed to stay suave and smooth even with a spicy carbonation blasting my taste buds to smithereens. Holding a decent medium mouthfeel, it was filled with the grapefruit juice/lemon zest hops and pine hops - bitter to the max. There were some very, very faintly sweet caramel malts again right on the tip of my tongue, but they were hardly noticeable after the onslaught of hops and deliciousness.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
MrBunn (2456) - The Wet Side of a Dry Town, Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 9, 2014
Can from gordito. Pours a dark orangish amber with a bit of haze and a decent head. Aromas are pineapple and a bit of resin. Flavor is yummy. Lots of balance with a decent resin, orange, pineapple and a hint of passion fruit. Darn good beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
TXBadger (1384) - Dallas, Texas, USA - JUN 19, 2014
Pours a nice copper color with white head. Citrus, pine, and grass on the nose; follows onto the palate. Finishes with more piney goodness.

kidmartinek (3654) - austin, Texas, USA - JUL 1, 2014
Talk about balance, drinkability and punch, this one has it all. From the copper haze to the white lace the floral hoppy nose leads to a floral malty flavor with a hint of bitterness. Perfect!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Sublym (78) - Arizona, USA - AUG 15, 2012
UPDATED: OCT 8, 2012 Ok, one of my favorite breweries- and also the closest brewery to my house. With that being said, i love all of san tans beers. But.....i cant quite grasp the difference in this ipa. It has the same characteristics as their devils ale (formally sun devil ale). Which was my favorite all time beer for a while. Im no expert, but I swear simething has changed in the recipe. Ive been going here since the 1st week it opened. It seems like a different hop variety? Oh well, its still very good. Cmon san tan, lets get going on a sour/farmhouse/saison soon !!...................................... The more kick ass ipaís I try, the further down the list this IPA goes.........cmon san tan, its time for a double/imperial.???