Japan

Tokyo, Japan

RATINGS: 49   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.01/5   EST. CALORIES: 129   ABV: 4.3%

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
mephisto (1286) - TAIWAN - MAR 6, 2005
quite tasty for an asian beer. (damn, i am asian) nice flavor, and a very cool can.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Saarlander (1686) - Saarlouis, GERMANY - OCT 13, 2004
A very tasty dark beer, I loved the flavor, and the aftertaste was nice too, not what I expected from a Japanese beer, but I loved it, even if it was canned, nice beer

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Dimitri99 (63) - USA - OCT 2, 2004
Had with Chinese food at a real Chinese food. My friend’s girlfriend ordered in Chinese, so we got the freshest food in the place and had cooked traditionally. Anyway, I had this after I’d already had a few drinks, so my recollection might be kinda hazy. That said, I enjoyed it and thought it went really well with the Chinese food. Came in a really big can, though. Toward the end, it was getting fairly warm- it still wasn’t bad, but it was better when it was cooler in the beginning.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
Maximus55 (40) - California, USA - AUG 3, 2004
Goes down smooth, fresh clean crisp taste, if you havent tried it try it now...have you gotten it yet? hehe

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
MrKevvie (29) - Texas, USA - MAY 9, 2004
Nice beer, good flavour, nice colouring, very smooth. Definately one I’d buy again

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
darkerdabetter (255) - Michigan, USA - MAY 9, 2004
Bought this for its intriguing darkness and cool can. I was impressed, good dark beer flavors -slight chocolate and caramel, and pretty smooth. I’ll have to try it again.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Mephistefales (47) - USA - FEB 13, 2004
UPDATED: AUG 24, 2009 As someone who seeks out new flavors instead of comparing everything to existing standard flavors, I tend to enjoy the family of Japanese Blacks. Like this beer, they tend to be a bit more refreshing than your standard stout. I really enjoy relaxing with this beer. I feel that the facts in the other reviews here are accurate, but I enjoy that this beer is a smoother, lighter black than its German counterparts.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
heemer77 (5294) - Urbandale, Iowa, USA - NOV 10, 2003
UPDATED: MAR 30, 2004 A decent Schwarzbier. However, there was little to make this standout. Slight chocolate and coffee tastes. Cool steel can!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
JPDIPSO (5657) - Wauwatosa, Wisconsin, USA - NOV 8, 2003
Clear near black liquid with a head that id fizzy and tan. Dry dark malt and tar flavors. A bit thin in feel, a bit to fizzy perhaps. Just a dark lager at best.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
garrison (811) - Cin. city, Ohio, USA - AUG 18, 2003
Weak andf watery, I bought this one just out of curiousity to see if Japan had learned to make a decent dark beer... they haven't.