overall

RATINGS: 876   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.12   IBU: 20   EST. CALORIES: 159   ABV: 5.3%
Brewed to pay homage to our founder’s homeland, our German-Style Schwarzbier is brewed true to style with a deliciously sweet malty flavor. It may be dark in color but it’s not heavy on roasted flavor like most people expect in a dark beer. BEER STYLE: Bavarian Black Beer MALT: Two-Row, Caramel HOPS: Mt Hood, Hallertauer ABV: 5.3%

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
ClarkVV (3969) - Allston, Massachusetts, USA - JUL 10, 2002
UPDATED: JAN 2, 2005 had this is the bottle. Very malty with some hop presence. Must have not poured it right, as I got almost no head. have to try again. Bartender served it to me ice cold, so i dont think that helped. Pleasant drinking beer though. Rerate 2004 bottle. Awful. Watery, one flavor of light choco-caramel. Weak and boring. Drainpour. This is not a dunkel, or schwarzbier or bock or anything. It’s a crappy, cheaply made brown ale.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
MartinT (8328) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - JUL 7, 2002
Pleasant coffee and caramel…Nice fruitiness and flowers…If you ever come to Quebec and like schwarzbiers, try to find an ‘Escousse’...Much better i.m.o....

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Admiral (524) - Schnecksville, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 5, 2002
Arthur Guinness goes to Kostritz. That is to say, this is the smoothest Schwartzbier, or the most undescribably Teutonic stout, that I have ever had. Quite pleasing.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
pilsnerrogge (2587) - Finspång, SWEDEN - JUN 25, 2002
UPDATED: JUL 9, 2008 Bottled:
Deep burgundy colour. Firm and creamy head. Brief toffee and liquorice aroma. Thin, sourish and ashy flavour. Somewhat tart finish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
dankfor20 (193) - Las Vegas, Nevada, USA - JUN 17, 2002
Creamy dark brew i used to drink on tap at a bar I frequented because of thier limited choices. nice malty finish but could use less carbonation in my opinion

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
k2 (146) - USA - JUN 6, 2002
A tad harsh. Not much that makes it stand out.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 14/20
BrockLandersLS (109) - San Diego, California, USA - JUN 6, 2002
I had a sampler of saranac and it was decent. Not as flavorful as I would like but a very solid choice for any beer drinker. Funk and I picked up a 12 pack on a limo ride and I was not disappointed in picking it up.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Nate (3806) - Indiana, Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 13, 2002
Bottle from variey 12pk. Lots of malt aroma. Head dissipates quickly. Nice dark brown/red. Light-medium body. Reminds me of a bock beer. Sweet and malty with nice finish. One of the best Saranacs I’ve had.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
tbookman (618) - Ephrata, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 25, 2002
Mmm...Bavarian black beeeer... This brwe is terrific! Dark but not too heavy - great balance & complexity.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
raymow (958) - Bensalem, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 6, 2002
This beer is similar to their Black & Tan but I liked it better. In fact, my wife even liked it and she’s afraid of dark beers.