overall

RATINGS: 882   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.12   IBU: 20   EST. CALORIES: 159   ABV: 5.3%
Brewed to pay homage to our founder’s homeland, our German-Style Schwarzbier is brewed true to style with a deliciously sweet malty flavor. It may be dark in color but it’s not heavy on roasted flavor like most people expect in a dark beer. BEER STYLE: Bavarian Black Beer MALT: Two-Row, Caramel HOPS: Mt Hood, Hallertauer ABV: 5.3%

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
kingofthemtn (41) - - FEB 10, 2015
Beer #4 of 6 from my mixed dark beer 6 pack. Vanilla porter move over, Black Forest beer is taking the winner’s podium. The color is a nice opaque brown/black with hints of cola when held in the light. Aroma is malty and beckons you into the forest. Taste is delicious and complex. Chocolate, vanilla, malt, caramel, nutty all at once, all singing in perfect harmony. Palate starts creamy but finishes thin, not in a bad way. Overall : I will be buying more of this soon and adding it to my ’attempt to homebrew’ list.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Raytailgater (105) - Rockledge, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 10, 2002
Saranac only brews good beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
newkai (7) - Syracuse, New York, USA - DEC 7, 2004 does not count
One of the best beers I’ve had in the United States. It reminds me of beers in the Black Forest region of Germany, so it lives up to its name 100%. It’s nutty and sweet with a full, non-watery taste. There’s also no noticeable aftertaste. Real Munich-style... 100% recommended.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
wvudan (11) - Morgantown, West Virginia, USA - OCT 19, 2009
UPDATED: OCT 20, 2009 Dark brown in color. Great pour, Drank it from a drinking jar. I’ve tried my hand at dark beers, which I’ve mostly been afraid of, but I really like this one. Little aftertaste, slightly sweet. You can taste a bit of tartness of cherry. Sticky in the mouth, the beer Rather rich, but nice for cold days because it’s so filling

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
jmulv (336) - New York, New York, USA - SEP 24, 2009
Pours a rich dark brown with a small tan head. Deep, complex, rich taste but not too heavy or filling. It’s one of my favorite beers ever, and it’s perfect to take the edge off winters in upstate NY.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
mkobes (2142) - paramus, New Jersey, USA - OCT 10, 2003
This was a great tasting dark lager. I really liked it. Nose is full of chocolate. full bodied. Very pleasant to drink.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
BeerDude78 (91) - Brick NJ, New Jersey, USA - JAN 5, 2005
A really good beer. Not too hoppy, more on the malty side. Pours a beautiful dark color, with a nice foamy creamy head. You can really taste the roasted carmel flavors in this brew.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
tugdriver7 (27) - Maryland, USA - SEP 8, 2005
Fantastic dark beer. I’m not a huge "dunkel" or "porter" fan (I have to be in the mood, I guess); but this is very drinkable and refreshing. The color is dark, yet the lighter flavors of the lager comes through as well.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
SanfordBrewer (1406) - Sanford, Florida, USA - DEC 25, 2009
UPDATED: MAY 25, 2010 slightly lucent dark mahogany, creamy tan head, chunky lace, med-full body, med-co2.

aroma: ^sweet-caramel-malt chocolate-malt §fruity bran-muffin licorice.

flavor: ^malty milk-chclty ^sweet T1, roasty malt-bitter T2, short leafy-hops T3, hoppier Tf.

a subtly good beer. growler is less carbonated and a little better than the 12oz bottles.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
raymow (1011) - Bensalem, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 6, 2002
This beer is similar to their Black & Tan but I liked it better. In fact, my wife even liked it and she’s afraid of dark beers.