overall

RATINGS: 540   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.04/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 162   ABV: 5.4%
Saranac Caramel Porter is a robust, flavorful porter reminiscent of a by-gone era. True to brewing tradition, we've used dark caramel malt as well as Fuggles & East Kent Goldings hops for a smooth, yet slightly bitter, roasted flavor. Look for hints of real caramel used in brewing this delicious brew. Enjoy.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
oldpainless (34) - fort mill, South Carolina, USA - SEP 28, 2007
I agree w/ the extremeicon almost to the tee. Good dessert beer! Definately not one that you could drink a bunch of.Just to sweet for this ones taste.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
joeyp (30) - Alabama, USA - NOV 10, 2006
very thin white head. very dark amber. this beer smells like heaven i just want to eat it. a little bitter in the finish but i really like it saranac 12 beers of winter

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
skippapotamus (29) - USA - SEP 3, 2006
First flavored porter I’ve ever had - an instant fan. A winter favorite now. It does, somewhat, have an artificial caramel feel and taste, but I don’t care - it tastes and feels right. It also certainly tastes like there’s a fine generic porter in under there, with the right touch of chocolate and roast malts. Just enough hop for the style.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
BeerMeDude (28) - USA - DEC 21, 2006
12 oz. bottle into a chilled pint glass. I got this beer from the winter pack and saved it till the end with high hopes. I know this is a dangerous move but I was very pleased with this beer. It pours a deep red-brown with an aroma of caramel and malt. The taste is delicious, full flavored with plenty of caramel and nut. I recommend this selection.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
lancenelson (26) - Nebraska, USA - SEP 24, 2008
All the good qualities of a porter and none of the bad. Good aroma, smooth flavor which has a hint of the heavy porter maltiness. The caramel lightens it up and takes away some of the typical bite. Little to no aftertaste.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
Berta4519 (26) - New York, USA - MAY 21, 2013
Too light of a body. Definitely can taste the caramel notes which I do like. A ad bit too sweet. Great idea but certainly not perfected.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
BeerHound53 (24) - USA - NOV 2, 2006
super great Caramel aroma, nice deep brown coloration. MMM sweet and Caramel, buttery, almost candy like. My favorite Saranac

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
EnnuiDivine (23) - New Jersey, USA - DEC 18, 2007
Man, oh man, this is a tasty porter. More than just a hint of caramel with enough of a body to keep you from thinking you’re ingesting liquid candy. Got it in the Twelve Beers of Winter 12 pack, and it’s easily my favorite of the bunch.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
All4Grog99 (22) - Albany, New York, USA - DEC 23, 2001
I like caramel and i love porter, so i though as i opened the bottle why not combine the two. Well now i know, though a brave and noble attempt i felt as though the caramel overpowered all other flavors in teh beer, such as roasted nuttiness detecable only slightly in the finish. Some added depth flavorwise would go a long way.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
ncyankee (22) - Durham, North Carolina, USA - MAR 21, 2006
UPDATED: MAR 29, 2006 This tastes nice at first - very sweet with lots of caramel - but about halfway through the bottle it just gets a bit overwhelming (and I tend to like sweet beers.) I guess I finally understand the term "cloying". Don’t get me wrong - I liked it - but will be drinking a half bottle at a time.