overall

RATINGS: 540   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.04/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 162   ABV: 5.4%
Saranac Caramel Porter is a robust, flavorful porter reminiscent of a by-gone era. True to brewing tradition, we've used dark caramel malt as well as Fuggles & East Kent Goldings hops for a smooth, yet slightly bitter, roasted flavor. Look for hints of real caramel used in brewing this delicious brew. Enjoy.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
All4Grog99 (22) - Albany, New York, USA - DEC 23, 2001
I like caramel and i love porter, so i though as i opened the bottle why not combine the two. Well now i know, though a brave and noble attempt i felt as though the caramel overpowered all other flavors in teh beer, such as roasted nuttiness detecable only slightly in the finish. Some added depth flavorwise would go a long way.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 20/20
MrYuk (21) - Kennett Square, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 18, 2002
BEST damn beer out there! Such a unique taste. I never expected to have a beer that tastes like this. A slight popcorn-y taste after the beer gets a little older. Drove all the way to Utica, NY from Philadelphia with my girlfriend to get a case of this. Definately worth a try for any level of beer drinker.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 6/20
abbamouse (20) - Houston, Texas, USA - DEC 25, 2005
I find the caramel to be a bit cloying; the flavor is similar to a Starbucks with a shot of caramel. Even in a caramel porter, there needs to be someting to distinguish the flavor from sweetened coffee. No such thing can be found in this bottle.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
garrettdeming (17) - Apalachin, New York, USA - MAR 17, 2006
Smell was caramel all the way! Like a sundae drenched in hot caramel sauce. The color was rich and pretty, a dark pleasant brown with a light head, slim. The taste was of Worthers hard candies! All caramel, butterscoth, chocolate. Very little beer in this beer. It was like drinking caramel milk. Very sweet, not enough btter to counteract it. Still not bad, not gross, just maybe not beer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
murph3irish (17) - Linthicum, Maryland, USA - NOV 14, 2012
Poured a nice ruby rusty brown with a soapy tan head that faded too fast. Smelled of salty smoky caramel not real sweet. Was hoping for a sweeter darker smell. Bitter burnt malt taste. A little coffee and burnt caramel come in the middle. Sour vanilla aftertaste. Not a bad porter but definitely not a great one. $7.99 for six isnít bad. Was looking for a sweeter darker more porter like look and taste. Will enjoy these 6 but probably not buy again. Breckenridge vanilla porter is the best sweet porter in my opinion.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
QAWSBeerGuy (15) - Teaneck, New Jersey, USA - NOV 21, 2004
I really enjoyed this Caramel Porter. Like others, I too found it a little watery, but the overall impression I got was that it was a carefully constructed beer designed to bring the taste of caramel to the forefront of a solid dark beer. The slight bitterness rounds out the beer very nicely. I didnít come in with any expectations on this one and I was nicely surprised.

keithmoon (14) - Kentucky, USA - JUL 13, 2007
One of my favorite beers. Good aroma, great flavor, easy drinking. The caramel flavor and aroma is fantastic. If you like beer that has a caramel-scotch taste youíll love this beer. It really doesnít taste like a porter more like a dark ale.I wish this beer was available year round, unfortunately its a seasonal brew. Definitely Matt Brewing Companys best beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Beerwarlock (13) - Trafford, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 22, 2014
UPDATED: FEB 5, 2014 Despite other reviews, I found this to be one of my favorite "drinkable" beers of the season. Smells like caramel. Taste like caremel. Whether or not the smell and/or taste are artificial, I donít care. Guess Iím "naive". If you love caramel you will love this beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
dbcahill (13) - Deer Lake, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 19, 2007
Good caramel flavor with a touch of malt. One of the better porters - almost a dessert beer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 14/20
shadow (12) - Oakford, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 2, 2004
Personally, I feel the more you drink the less you taste. Several beers into an evening I pulled this one out and the aroma was intense with caramel as was the flavor. I thought the chocolate stouts were intense with flavor but this one was far and away a most flavorful brew. Perhaps a bit to intense and flavorful as I had to actually work to finish this one. One of only a few beers I will not want to try again.