overall

RATINGS: 525   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.04   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 162   ABV: 5.4%
Saranac Caramel Porter is a robust, flavorful porter reminiscent of a by-gone era. True to brewing tradition, we've used dark caramel malt as well as Fuggles & East Kent Goldings hops for a smooth, yet slightly bitter, roasted flavor. Look for hints of real caramel used in brewing this delicious brew. Enjoy.

austinpowers (2826) - New York, New York, USA - JUL 25, 2002
UPDATED: JUL 7, 2003 After tasting 30 or more porters, this one's my all-time favorite. I make no pretense that it is 'balanced' - it's not. The caramel is overwhelming. But it's the one I like to drink most. Experts be damned. Oh, by the way, they actually add real caramel to this beer.

keithmoon (13) - Kentucky, USA - JUL 13, 2007
One of my favorite beers. Good aroma, great flavor, easy drinking. The caramel flavor and aroma is fantastic. If you like beer that has a caramel-scotch taste you’ll love this beer. It really doesn’t taste like a porter more like a dark ale.I wish this beer was available year round, unfortunately its a seasonal brew. Definitely Matt Brewing Companys best beer.

coffek74 (5) - , Alabama, USA - AUG 3, 2008 does not count
Intensley flavorful with strong caramel. Smells sweet but doesn’t taste sweet. Would expect bitterness, but it’s only very slight. A+ dessert beer. One of my favorites all around.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 20/20
MrYuk (21) - Kennett Square, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 18, 2002
BEST damn beer out there! Such a unique taste. I never expected to have a beer that tastes like this. A slight popcorn-y taste after the beer gets a little older. Drove all the way to Utica, NY from Philadelphia with my girlfriend to get a case of this. Definately worth a try for any level of beer drinker.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
adamburb99 (10) - waterville, New York, USA - MAY 1, 2002
This is probably the best tasting beer out there that no one knows of, probly cause of it being so limited. Great flavor!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
mribm (450) - Hurley, New York, USA - NOV 6, 2003
Bottle. This beer has the most intense caramel flavor I've ever had in a beer. I would have liked a little chocolate or coffee flavor added, however this was absolutely delicious as it stands. The nose and flavor are unique and delicious. Satisfies your sweet tooth and your thirst at the same time, while giving you the added benefit of some alcohol. What a terrific beer!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
skippapotamus (29) - USA - SEP 3, 2006
First flavored porter I’ve ever had - an instant fan. A winter favorite now. It does, somewhat, have an artificial caramel feel and taste, but I don’t care - it tastes and feels right. It also certainly tastes like there’s a fine generic porter in under there, with the right touch of chocolate and roast malts. Just enough hop for the style.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
cjw163 (109) - hummelstown, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 4, 2008
12oz bottle...WOW... one of the best porters I’ve had in a while.. what would have made it perfect would be just a little less caramel. Just a little too sweet. Perfect dark pour with a creamy head. I love chocolate and caramel so this hit the spot......

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
BtownBrewer (91) - Belchertown, Massachusetts, USA - JUL 6, 2003
Car-a-MEL! So, so smooth. I LOVE this beer and haven't been able to find another one. Apparently it's seasonal. Aaaaaa! Cursed! It tastes like they dissolved a sweet creamy caramel candy into a good porter. I'd hope though that they were able to achieve this flavor through malt selection and blending, though. My opinion would fall if I found out they took a shortcut. A good dessert beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
LordNeuf (136) - Acton, Massachusetts, USA - DEC 5, 2002
Beautiful dark red. Lovely taste of candy like caramel. A wonderful earthy, nutty finish. A great beer and something I will have again.