overall

RATINGS: 38   MEAN: 3.49/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.39   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
Barrel one? High gravity flower tinctures? You’ve got some sweet tools in your brewer’s utility belt Jim. As the Joker said of Batman, “Where does he get those wonderful toys!?” Sounds like a great direction fro this recipe. I found some yummy rose syrup made with lemon juice and rose pedals in Turin, Italy. I will send some up for you guys to play with in the lab. I think we could add some in the whirl and it will marry-up to your muti-flower tincture in a sexy way down steam. I like what you wrote about the power of the flowers Jim. In fact, I suggest we simply call this beer Savor Flowers. By interweaving the beer and event names we can drive home the point that craft beer and beautiful foods belong together. - Sam I’m psyched! I love your idea of a collaboration beer for Savor! Can I throw out an idea to the get the process started? We still have some of the original barrels from 1993/94 used for Samula Adams Triple Bock. I think they were the first oak barrels used for beer with this barrel aging thing was just beginning. I think it would be cool to use those same barrels for our collaboration. We should think of something different to do with them this time around. And maybe some other boundaries of brewing to mess with. Any thoughts? Just brew it! -Jim

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
jbeatty (949) - New York, USA - JUL 30, 2013
Backlog review, bottle obtained at SAVOR and tasted 07/07/2011. Pours translucent dark orange, little head and almost no lacing/residual foam. Aroma is quite floral- reminds me of hyacinth, jasmine - with honey, ginger notes. Taste is strong rose water, sweet malty character, finishing with spicy ginger, alcohol noticeable, subtle barrel character. Medium body, round and light in the mouth. The ginger character reminds me of DFH Pangaea. Unique for sure, and while not my favorite, glad to have tried.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 19/20
obguthr (3446) - Lynchburg, Virginia, USA - APR 14, 2013
Slutfest 2013: Ginger and chamomile nose. Cloudy amber, thick yellow head. Lemon, ginger, and honey flavor. Neat, exceptionally well crafted and executed. I’d love to have an entire bottle of this to deconstruct at my leisure. My impression, based on a small sample, is this one damn fine beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Kinz (3189) - Glen Allen, Virginia, USA - APR 19, 2013
Slutfest - pretty freakin’ awesome, cheers to Sterling. Never thought I would get to try this. Aroma is rose hips. Flavor is rosy, with caramel underpinnings. Can’t really capture the level of flower shop floral intensity on display here adequately. Just fascinating stuff. Glad that the Triple Bock barrels finally contributed to something better than Triple Bock. :) Appreciated this more than the rating suggests.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
Emeister84 (767) - Charlottesville, Virginia, USA - APR 13, 2013
Ginger, wild flowers, fresh-cut grass, honey, and lemon aromas. Clear gold with a lasting, white head. Sweet, tart, fruity, and floral. Medium body, high carbonation, smooth, a little spicy, and sweet in the finish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Butters (3686) - Richmond, Virginia, USA - APR 13, 2013
Sampled at Slutfest 4 - Sexytime! THANK YOU SO MUCH STERLING AND DOUGLAS. Clear golden pour with small head clearish head. Smells like roses honeysuckle and ginger. Flavor of ginger root if the most pervasive. Very much like a mead. Really enjoyed this. Such a great floral combination.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
madmitch76 (13390) - , Essex, ENGLAND - FEB 2, 2013
13th November 2011
Hazy amber beer, short lived off white head. Light palate with crispy fresh minerals. Semi sweet Rose and many other floral things! Light touch of honey and a tiny bit of citrus. Finishes crisp. Initially overwhelming in it’s extreme floralness but once the palate adjusts there are all sorts of nice flowery things to pick out and enjoy! Dandelion, rose, violets and many more - it’s all here!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Boutip (4509) - Gatineau, Quebec, CANADA - JUN 1, 2012
Bottle: Poured a bright golden color ale with a medium size foamy white head with good retention and some light lacing. Aroma is a very weird mix between some overly sweet notes with loads of flowers notes (kind alike hibiscus) with some oak and liquorish notes. The aroma was definitely too strong at first and I almost though I would have to drain pour this one. Taste is an interesting mix between some sweet malt notes with light candy like flavours and notes of flowers (not as strong as hibiscus but in the same realm) with light oak and liquor notes. Body is about average with an oily texture with medium carbonation and light warming alcohol notes. Well brewed with good level of complexity, a tad less sweetness would have been welcome and this one would be a good candidate for letting bread a bit before drinking.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
mar (4662) - Dallas, Texas, USA - JUN 16, 2012
Bottle thanks to jjfoodie. Amber with a cream head. Nose is toffee, caramel, malty, and dried fruits. Nice palate, heavy toffee, very sweet, florals, and sticky.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
Huhzubendah (2266) - Washington DC, USA - SEP 13, 2012
Bottle shared by drabmuh. Thanks Matt! The consensus on this one is pinkish copper, so I’ll go with that. Very little head. I did in fact note that it was one of the clearest beers of the evening. Anyhow... It’s all downhill from here. The aroma was odd, and definitely set off a few alarms, but also offered a bouquet of pleasant and interesting scents, to include flowers, hops, sweet herbs, lavender, tea, etc. I agree with Mike that this is a gruit. The flavor is just overbearing. A runaway train packed with flowers and herbs. It’s as if you were on your first date and said: "You want flowers?!? I got your damn flowers right here. Now take ’em!" A bit inappropriate, like this beer. Brewed exclusively with rosewater, I am told. Not a good idea. Edison would be proud, as Sam Adams definitely found something that does NOT work. Sickeningly sweet and instantly cloying. This could be a good beer, as there are some nice flavors behind the onslaught of herbs, flowers, and rosewater flavors. Sometimes, less is more. Overall, not a repeat for me. Serving type: bottle Reviewed on: 07-11-2011

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
maniac (3800) - Baltimore, Maryland, USA - JAN 1, 2014
On 06/18/2011. Clear golden body with a small frothy white head. Sweet rose aroma with caramel and floral hops. Sweet rose, caramel, citrus and toffee flavor with lots of spice. Medium body with moderate carbonation.